Sea Tiger 555 on HC 38T??

Moderators: mimoza, warmrain

Sea Tiger 555 on HC 38T??

Postby sedna38t » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:09 pm

Does anyone have a Simpson Lawrence Sea Tiger 555 on their Hans Christian? We're looking at replacing our Muir Cheetah-- the motor is destroyed-- and would like to see what the Sea Tiger footprint looks like on the bowsprit.
Currently looking at a Sea Tiger 555 Double Gypsy.
sedna38t
Landlubber

Re: Sea Tiger 555 on HC 38T??

Postby jonathan38 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:55 pm

I had one but replaced with a Lofrans Cayman as got a 40% off retail deal on a model that had been dropped and had a single ding on it.... I had to re-drill so epoxied the old holes after epidure soak. Also had to reconfigure the wiring a bit but was worth it for the savings.

Got to say the Lofrans winch has perfectly perfectly over the last 10 years, don't think its thrown the thermal breaker more then once, I found that I had to cut back the last 12 inches of DC cable back inside the boat as it had corrosion. It had been terminated inside the anchor locker, so I pulled it back into the locker on the port side of the head and cut back.

I had the same issue as you, winch motor had corroded away due to leaks around gasket. I now take covers off and reseal every 2-3 years on the Lofrans Cayman now.

I will be on boat next few days and post a photo of the installation. I added reverse as well at the same time and ran a switch to helm, which makes anchoring single handed in crowded locations a bit easier.
jonathan38
Cabinboy

Return to Anchors, Rodes and Windlasses