[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - Suggestions For 33T

Suggestions For 33T

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Suggestions For 33T

Postby gigglingdolphins » Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:33 pm

The boat show is next weeks and we are going to make some changes to our ground tackle...so looking for suggestions:

1: Anchor Windlass: Currently we have the Muir Neptune, which is not working, no matter how much I tighten the gipsy it will slip when we try to bring in the chain...so we are looking for a manual replacement....suggestions?

2: Chain:
Rode 1: two lengths of 3/8" chain linked together to form (1) 160' Length
Rode 2: 30' of 3/8" chain backed by 200' of 3/4 line

My thinking:
Replace Rode 1 with 300' of 5/16 or 3/8 chain....suggestions
Replace Rode 2 with 100; of 5/16 or 3/8 chain backed with 200' of 3/4 line

3: Anchors:
Rode 1 will use the existing 35 LB Danforth
Rode 2 will use existing Danforth Deepset 1800
Will add additional 35 LB Bruce as backup

So my biggest question is this: for the 33T loaded to cruising weight which chain size wouls be better 5/16 or 3/8?? (High Strength, BBB, etc)

We have also cleaned out the chain locker and repainted it with 2 coats of bilge coat, now its pretty bright in there....question about configuration...I would assume that the area that is enclosed with the angles glassed in wood is for the primary rode, then just below that is an area that contains a triangle piece of removable wood, I will assume that this is where Rode 2 will live....then there is the area under this, which is right behind the head....what do you guys store there??

Thaks for any and all input...
Jack & Sue
S/V Giggling Dolphins
HC 33T Hull# 80 Dec. 1984

Sailing through life is the only way to Live :)
gigglingdolphins
Crew

Re: Suggestions For 33T

Postby warmrain » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:17 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yacht "Warmrain" 1986 HC33T #123
Built by Hansa Yacht und Schiffbau G.M.B.H. Taichung Taiwan by Herb Guttler (last Hansa hull was #131, built 1987)

Posts are my opinion based on my experience; your results may vary from mine.
warmrain

Postby gigglingdolphins » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:03 am

Jack & Sue
S/V Giggling Dolphins

gigglingdolphins
Crew

Postby warmrain » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:10 pm

Built by Hansa Yacht und Schiffbau G.M.B.H. Taichung Taiwan by Herb Guttler (last Hansa hull was #131, built 1987)

warmrain

Postby sv_bruadair » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:59 pm

We've been cruising the Caribbean for two and a half years now. We have, for the primary, 200 feet of 5/16 ht chain with 300' of 3/4" rode. We'll probably go to 300 feet of chain before entering the pacific via the canal, but for now what we have is working great. We've never put out more than 175' of chain so far but the anchorages here are in shallower waters than the pacific side. We usually anchor in depths of 8' to 25', rarely any deeper. The average tide swing here is one foot.

We have an ABI bronze manual windlass that has worked great but it is slow to bring up the chain. We hardly use it. I normally power up slowly to put slack in the chain while David brings it in hand over hand, much faster that way and surprisingly easy to do. We occasionally use the windlass to help break out the anchor (or motor forward) when it's dug in tight.

Our plan is to remove the ABI manual windlass sometime this year and replace it with a Lofrans Tigres windlass and go with 300' of new 5/16 ht chain before we transit the canal to deeper waters. We'll keep the same rode on the primary. Our secondary will remain 100' of chain and 300' of 3/4" rode.

By the way, while expensive the ABI manual windlass is well built and easy to mount. When we sell it we can include the solid teak mount that goes between the bowsprit and the windlass on the HC33, just in case there are any HC33 owners that are interested in it.
Damon and David
s/v Bruadair
1984 HC33 #58
www.bruadair.us
www.sv-bruadair.blogspot.com

Out cruising somewhere in Colombia or Panama
sv_bruadair
First Mate

Postby sv_bruadair » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:02 am

Jack and Sue,

What price is the Tigres electric windlass going for at the boat show? I'm in Honduras so can't buy but I'm curious as I'm looking for one too. Best internet price I found so far is $1750 at www.pyacht.com

If you find any better deals I'ld appreciate the word,
Damon and David
s/v Bruadair
1984 HC33 #58
www.bruadair.us
www.sv-bruadair.blogspot.com

Out cruising somewhere in Colombia or Panama
sv_bruadair
First Mate

Postby gigglingdolphins » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:36 pm

Hi Damon and David

Wow the Miami Boat Show was great...we usually just went to the sailboat section at the marine without going to the convention center, this year we did the convention center where all the equiptment is displayed...I would say in 8 hours we only saw about 1/3 of the show. We looked at the Lofrance Tigres at the Imtra booth, they told us that we could get a new one from their loacl rep (Sailorman) for about $1651.00, we are going there this week so I will get back to you with the actual price. We also looked at the Ideal Windlass, whick they can totally customize for your boat....but a little pricey at almost $4300.00
Jack & Sue
S/V Giggling Dolphins

gigglingdolphins
Crew

Estetik

Postby estetik878 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:04 am

The post is handsomely written. I have bookmarked you for keeping abreast with your new posts.
----------------------------------------------------------------
estetik878

Postby warmrain » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:04 pm

Yes, but you are replying to a post that is nearly six years old!

warmrain

Postby mimoza » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:13 am

I'm just nuking this guys stuff. He says nothing.
Cap'n Bri
HC 33 "Mimoza" Hull number 43
Mimoza is the name of the Admiral, a flower, and a star - the eastern arm of the Southern Cross, also called Becrux.
mimoza
First Mate

Return to Anchors, Rodes and Windlasses