Installing a Tgress Lofrans on an HC 38 T

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Installing a Tgress Lofrans on an HC 38 T

Postby byrond » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:23 am

I am in the process of installing a Tigress Lofrans Windlass on my HC 38 T (1980) and I could use some advice. I have two chain lockers in the bow. The “upper chain locker” is big and easily accessible. It looks like the chain will go in and out of that locker without a problem. But, the “lower chain locker” does not look so good. It looks to me like I will have to feed the chain and rode into this locker a few feet at a time by hand. I would prefer to have two fully functional chain lockers when I am done with this project. Can anyone on this forum tell me how they did it with the same boat and same setup?
Also, I am in the market for 3/8 BBB chain and 2/0 cable in case anyone knows a good source. Thanks in advance for you help.
Byron
byrond
Landlubber

Postby mike » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:30 pm

Byron,

If its an help, on our 43T we have a similar set-up, our main chain 120mts of 3/8" falls down the starboard side under the berth, we have little problem with it going down the slope, occasionally it will tend to heap up but it is easy to sort out. The port side stows on the upper shelf, we have 10mts chain & 50mts 18mm octoplait rope. It use to be a pain as it would invarably fall into the starboard side & tangle with the other chain, however, this winter I've extended the divider to come right back to the locker door which will prevent the problem. The divider is 1/2" ply glassed over & flow coated & is made so that it is held in place with a 1/2" flange on the port side where the weight will come onto it & 3 turn buttons on the starboard side that hold it in place. It can be removed in seconds to allow access to the bolts etc holding the king posts & the trip unit for the elctric winch.

mike
200 ton Master
Past Owner Jolly Swagman - HC 43t Cutter Hull# 110 1987
http://www.eskside.co.uk/william_riley/mike_coates.htm
mike
Captain

Postby byrond » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:46 am

Mike,
Thanks for the response. In my case, the starboard chain and rode goes into the lower locker thru a plastic pipe. That locker is partially under a berth on the foc’sle. That’s the one that worries me. The port rode and chain, falls freely straight down into the upper locker and looks fine. The two assemblies do not tangle because the pipe from the deck carries the starboard chain and rode safely thru and past the port chain and rode.
PS. I am originally from Walsall (near Birmingham) but now live in the Pacific NW, USA.
Byron
byrond
Landlubber

Postby mike » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:09 pm

B yron,
It would appear that the only difference is the pipe leading the chain down into the locker which we don't have. I could see that in certain circumstances the chain may just go into a heap & block the end of the pipe depending on how far down it goes under the berth. I may consider adding around 2ft of pipe just to take it clear under the berth which may help prevent it occasionally forming a pile level with the upper locker to the port side.

I'm here in Whitby North yorkshire, I've been to the PNW, I was a graduate at the US oasts guard accademy at Cape Dissapointment (Ilwaco) on the columbia river.

Mike
200 ton Master
Past Owner Jolly Swagman - HC 43t Cutter Hull# 110 1987
http://www.eskside.co.uk/william_riley/mike_coates.htm
mike
Captain

Postby byrond » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:06 pm

Mike,
Thanks for the info. I live about 200 miles East of Cape “D.” It is still a place to be taken seriously!

Byron
byrond
Landlubber

Return to Anchors, Rodes and Windlasses