[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - Rocna / Manson Supreme

Rocna / Manson Supreme

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Rocna / Manson Supreme

Postby bellastar » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:57 pm

bellastar
Cabinboy

Postby warmrain » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:19 pm

Well I think you hit it on the head... Will it ride on the roller and not interfere with another anchor.

Personally the only thing I can say about anchor choice that probably will not create a debate is this: carry more than one, carry different types, make sure one of them is as heavy as it can be (generally for our boats it is one larger than the recommended on on the chart).

We had our bow roller modified to allow us to carry a 45# CQR.

~Cars
Yacht "Warmrain" 1986 HC33T #123
Built by Hansa Yacht und Schiffbau G.M.B.H. Taichung Taiwan by Herb Guttler (last Hansa hull was #131, built 1987)

Posts are my opinion based on my experience; your results may vary from mine.
warmrain

Postby bellastar » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:58 pm

Steve, I totally agree. I also have a 45# CQR as my primary. The secondary is a 35# CQR. There is a danforth semi-ready to deploy on the stern.
It's the "different types" part I want to tweak for the primary/secondary. I was thinking of replacing one of the CQRs with one of the new generation Rocna or Spade style anchors. (Bruadair has nothing but praise for their Spade.)
Doing anchor research on the internet has been... interesting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bellastar
Cabinboy

Postby warmrain » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:11 pm

Hey, you added a star to your HC33T as did we! And your two anchors look just like the bow of Warmrain.

When we got the boat in 1986 there was too little opinion about the relatively new Bruce anchor and we ended up adding the 45# CQR to the starboard and placing the one that came with the "sail package" on the port.

I also have a 20# Danforth on the stern so we think alike.

I have been considering a Bruce of around 35 pounds but the (usually smaller) ones I see on HC33Ts don't ride in the roller alongside a CQR very well. If we had a chain bobstay I'd carry I'd carry it there, but I won't do that to the stainless rod.

The Delta seems a good anchor for a second one or for those w/o the $$ for a CQR, though it is a plow and so doesn't satisfy my desire to have another type. If I find something for the port side the 35# plow will go in the lazerette for the day I hope never comes.

~Cars
Built by Hansa Yacht und Schiffbau G.M.B.H. Taichung Taiwan by Herb Guttler (last Hansa hull was #131, built 1987)

warmrain

Postby bellastar » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:54 pm

Yes, adding a star was just about the first thing we did to the boat. Good luck and all... seems outright dangerous not to have one. We took a trip to Port Townsend and stopped by Port Townsend Foundry to pick one up. They even gave us a tour of the operation. It was pretty cool to see the process, from bronze ingot to finished hardware. They has a lot of interesting works in progress to look at.

As to the anchor, at this point I'm thinking a Spade to replace the 35# CQR. Keeping the 35 pounder stored away as emergency backup, or maybe even to be used in tandom, or perhaps as a kellet.
bellastar
Cabinboy

Postby warmrain » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:12 pm

Yes... the HC33T was the only HC that did not come from the yard with a bronze star. We found ours at Minney's Ship Chandelry in Newport Beach California in a milk crate full of them (a really cool place and Ernie Minney has the spectacular schooner Summurun (spelling?). I think they have a web presence for salvage...

We are part-time Bainbridge Island and Friday Harbor and familiar with Port Townsend Foundry and a place called New Found Metals (which has some interesting things (including a perfect door keeper for the head door on a HC33T.

How did you get a 45# CQR to run through the bow roller? We cut a smooth slice out of the outer tube and welded in a curved piece to seal it off.

~Cars

warmrain

Postby ricardo » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:40 pm

I only had to enlarge the teak opening to properly fit my 45# CQR. I cannot pull it up straight though, some "twisting" of the shank is needed. I discovered this two years after having bought the boat!

Richard
_/)_ ''Plume''
1983 HC33T
__hull#42__
ricardo
Crew

Postby bellastar » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:49 pm

I didn't make any modifications either... Bought the boat this way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bellastar
Cabinboy

Postby mike » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:29 pm

Have a look at my posting in the HC48 re anchors, you'll see we use a Spade which I'm very pleased with.

mike
200 ton Master
Past Owner Jolly Swagman - HC 43t Cutter Hull# 110 1987
http://www.eskside.co.uk/william_riley/mike_coates.htm
mike
Captain

Postby bellastar » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:58 pm

Thanks Mike, I am certainly considering the Spade - I like what you did with the pin modification. SV Bruadair is also cruising with a Spade and they have nothing but good things to say about it.
Aaron & Nicole
SV Bella Star, 1983 Hans Christian 33
Hull #49
bellastar
Cabinboy

Postby mike » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:12 pm

Send me yopu e-mail address & I'll send you an article when things go wrong with your anchor & your Hc. (get mine from my website)

Mike
200 ton Master
mike
Captain

Postby bellastar » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:13 pm

Went with the 55# steel Spade (Spade S120). Got it all hooked up... fits great and still enough room for the 35# CQR secondary.
Aaron & Nicole
Hull #49
bellastar
Cabinboy

Postby mike » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:36 pm

Looks good!

Glad to see you've got chafe plates on the sides of your sprit, before we fitted our plates the anchor chewed the hell out of the timber. I would recomend that you fit some kind of fastening to restrain your anchor, before we fitted ours in a matter of days rolling back & forth just a small amount removed a lot of the galvanising on the underside of the stock wher it was in contact with the bronze roller.

mike
200 ton Master
mike
Captain

Postby bellastar » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:30 pm

Thanks Mike, I do plan on setting something up to snug the anchor in place so it doesn't move around in the roller. Still need to play around with it and figure out exactly what I'll do.
Aaron & Nicole
Hull #49
bellastar
Cabinboy

Postby mike » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:23 pm

Since we put the pin through we've had no bounce or further wear of the galvanising, its rock steady.

The only problem we do have & it all for the good is we sometimes have problems breaking it out in sand owing to it burrying so deep!

Mike
200 ton Master
mike
Captain

Next

Return to Anchors, Rodes and Windlasses