[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - Rocna / Manson Supreme

Rocna / Manson Supreme

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Postby rick_bradshaw » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:48 pm

Rick

s/v La Vita
1987 HC 33T #136
http://la-vita.us/blog/
rick_bradshaw
First Mate

Postby bellastar » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:22 am

I did a lot of checking around for the best price before I bought my Spade. I even considered getting it from the UK. In the end, the best price came from a US distributor in Florida. His name is Rob Branagh (I forget the name of the business) but they were great to deal with.

Shoot him an email for a quote...

rbranagh@yahoo.com

Yeah, they're expensive. I'm drinking PBR until 2013 to make up for it.

I'm still thinking of doing a Rocna as a secondary, but not permanently stowed on the bow. They now make a 33lb stowable Rocna (about $500) which would be just right. I'd keep it in the anchor locker. I can email the PDF brochure if anyone wants it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aaron & Nicole
SV Bella Star, 1983 Hans Christian 33
Hull #49
bellastar
Cabinboy

Postby mimoza » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:32 am

I have some fond memories of PBR - if only I could remember any of them - but really, you can make your own for less. I would be willing to bet it comes out better than the PBR
Cap'n Bri
HC 33 "Mimoza" Hull number 43
Mimoza is the name of the Admiral, a flower, and a star - the eastern arm of the Southern Cross, also called Becrux.
mimoza
First Mate

Postby mike » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:53 am

A question from accross the pond; what is PBR?

mike
200 ton Master
Past Owner Jolly Swagman - HC 43t Cutter Hull# 110 1987
http://www.eskside.co.uk/william_riley/mike_coates.htm
mike
Captain

Postby bellastar » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:15 pm

PBR is Pabst Blue Ribbon... generally considered to be on a lower tier of beers, but it's cheap!
Aaron & Nicole
Hull #49
bellastar
Cabinboy

Postby mike » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:59 pm

I got into the bad habit of drinking Budweiser when I was staioned with the USCG!

mike
200 ton Master
mike
Captain

Postby mike » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:03 pm

The Stowable Rocna looks a good idea, what does it rely on for security when assembled, I assume there is no load on the ?pin or ?bolt.

We found with our Spade once it had been used for a season there was no way we could get it appart; I didn't like to take a big hammer to it. It didn't look as though it was corrosion, possibly as a result of having a high load on it?

mike
200 ton Master
mike
Captain

Postby bellastar » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:10 pm

The stowable Rocna also uses a bolt to secure the shank. The Rocna differs in that the shank must be inserted from the bottom of the fluke and is shaped such that it cannot pull out. The bolt is not load bearing on either anchor. Here's a video of a Spade setting with the bolt removed:

Not sure why you can't get the shank out... maybe tightening the nut sandwiched it in the slot really well?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aaron & Nicole
Hull #49
bellastar
Cabinboy

Previous

Return to Anchors, Rodes and Windlasses