[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - Anchor Weight

Anchor Weight

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Anchor Weight

Postby charles » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:08 pm

I replaced the CQR knockoffs recently and went with a Delta. It seemed to work wonderfully until last week. I anchord in Glorietta Bay, San Diego and let out about 4-1 chain and observered for an hour before dinking asore with zero movement. When I returned, the winds had picked up to about 15 knots and my boat was a boat length downwind from original position. The other boats in the anchorage had not budged an inch. If memory serves, my friend with like boat has a delta 55# and said it was oversized for what was needed. I got a Delta 45# and am now wondering if it needs to be bigger? As a single-handed sailor, I need to be sure for restful nights.
charles
First Mate

Postby Great_Aardvark » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:14 pm

You may want to increase the amount of rode you ley out. I usally do a 7:1 and it seems to work fine on every boat I have owed. I have not anchored with this boat (HC33) which also has 30 feet of chain.
Tony
Said Rat "If you believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing, half so worth doing as - simply messing around in boats!"
1984 HC 33 Hull #59
S/V Shearwater
Charlotte North Carolina
Great_Aardvark
First Mate

Postby mimoza » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:28 pm

Your anchor may be heavy enough for this particular ground. My guess is that the other boats around you were not using all chain rode. By using an all chain rode, you had a much deeper catenary, while your neighbors barely had any. When the wind picked up, your catenary had much more rode to straighten than theirs, which made it look as though your anchor had dragged, when in fact it was still firmly planted right where you left it.

4:1 is OK for all chain rode in calm conditions, but I agree that more scope would be a very good idea, especially when going ashore or when increased wind or wave action is expected.
Cap'n Bri
HC 33 "Mimoza" Hull number 43
Mimoza is the name of the Admiral, a flower, and a star - the eastern arm of the Southern Cross, also called Becrux.
mimoza
First Mate

Postby clonjers » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:10 pm

In shallow waters (15 feet or less) we layout all chain based on depth of water + height of bow sprint from the surface + 100 feet . I also agree that all you probably did was streach out the rode, maiking you think you had moved.
clonjers
First Mate

Postby sv_bruadair » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:34 pm

We to agree that you probably just stretched the chain out, happens to us all the time when the wind picks up. A boat length is really nothing to worry about.
Damon and David
s/v Bruadair
1984 HC33 #58
www.bruadair.us
www.sv-bruadair.blogspot.com

Out cruising somewhere in Colombia or Panama
sv_bruadair
First Mate

Return to Anchors, Rodes and Windlasses