[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - anchors size recommendations - Spade on HC43T

anchors size recommendations - Spade on HC43T

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

anchors size recommendations - Spade on HC43T

Postby daves » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:41 pm

We are planning a circumnavigation and are therefore uprating equiment on the boat. One item is the main bower anchor. It's currently a 66lb CQR. With a 45ld CQR as secondary.

I'm intending to replace with a Spade. The recommended size, going on the manufacturer's and dealers' advice is the S140, approx 66lb. Spade place more emphasis on displacement rather than lengths which makes sense to me. the S140 is suggested for <20tonnes. the S160 (81lbs) for <23 tonnes.

I often read people recommending to go one size up and whilst that seems a 'belt & braces' approach there is the argument of why ignore manufaturer's advice. And potentially spend more than necessary.

i'm aware that what makes the difference in real life (once functionality is covered off) is having confidence in the kit. even if its perfectly adequate, it will be a source of stress if confidence levels are low and maybe that's why people so often go up a size...

what does the panel think? i know many of you have Spade anchors, have you gone for one size up, what experiences have you had? what recommendations would you make?

Any views / observations from people using spade anchors on a HC43 would be very good to hear. I'm aware of Mike's postings and his (and others') adaptations to make a spade fit and be secure, but not aware of the sizes people are using.

many thanks in advance
Dave
Now the new and proud owner of a '82 HC43T
daves
Landlubber

Postby stormbay » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:14 am

Hi Dave,

We recently purchased a Spade s140 for our HC41 though we haven't had an opportunity to try it out yet. We had a chance to talk with the guys from Spade at the Miami boat show when we bought it ant they were so confident that it would be the right size for us they offered to swap it out (for the price difference of course) for the s160 with in the first few months if we weren't satisfied with its size. They told us that they would happily sell us the larger model and that some people insist on that, but that we honestly didn't need it. We are pretty confident that along with our 300' of chain it will more than suffice. We will let you know more when we finally try it out.
Yu & Frank
1985 HC-41 Hull# 11
http://sv-moitessier.blogspot.com/
stormbay
Crew

Postby sv_bruadair » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:11 pm

We bought our Spade anchor in 2004 just before we went cruising and if I had to do it all over again I would most definitely get another Spade. In almost 8 years of cruising with 90% of our time spent at anchor we have never dragged anchor, not once.

I don't remember the model number of our Spade but we purposely bought one size bigger than we needed, it was obviously a smart decision. When we bought Bruadair she had a 33 pound Bruce on the bow. The over sized Spade in galvanized steel was 66 pounds so we opted for the 33 pound aluminum. It's the same physical size and has the same surface area (thus the same holding power). I didn't want to double the weight of the anchor by going with the steel model.

The Bruce anchor was moved to under our pullman berth where it remained for the next seven and a half years. We just recently sold it as after all this time I didn't think it was necessary to keep anymore. Our secondary is a 45 pound CQR and since we have owned the boat it has never been used.

My suggestion is that if you are concerned about weight because you want to larger in size then consider the aluminum version, it's worked quite well for us. And for what it's worth we find the Spade to hold exceptionally well in all types of mud, sand and gravel. For grassy bottoms we don't back down on the anchor right away. We let it settle in and let the pull of the boat gently bury the anchor before putting out more scope. There are many ways to set an anchor but we've adopted a routine a friend of ours taught us a couple years ago. Deploy the anchor, pay out scope, have one or two drinks, back down on the anchor.

Damon and David
s/v Bruadair
1984 HC33 #58
www.bruadair.us
www.sv-bruadair.blogspot.com

Out cruising somewhere in Colombia or Panama
sv_bruadair
First Mate

Re: anchors size recommendations - Spade on HC43T

Postby bluevo » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:21 pm

Hi Guys I have a Spade 140 in Stainless steel very nice and fits fantastic on the bow sprite , at 30Kg holds my HC 33 T fantastic in all conditions !! I am very happy with and i would have thought it will hold a 41 T/43T easy, they have formidable hold power in any conditions, but very expensive.
But simply you only get what you pay for.

Grahame HC 33T UK
bluevo
Landlubber

Re: anchors size recommendations - Spade on HC43T

Postby stormbay » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:20 am

Ill add an update to this discussion now that we have had 6 months to try out our spade 140 in the Bahamas. In that time we spent only one night at a dock and 2 nights on a mooring, the rest was on the spade. The only time that the spade did not set on the first try was once in west end and once in new providence as the bottom was "hard scour" (basically just a rock sheet with nothing for the anchor to dig into) we ended up having to rely on extra chain for weight to hold us for those nights as the weather was calm luckily. Aside from that the spade set first try and did not drag once, not even on the one night we had 50-60 knots for 4 hours. The one thing my wife and I kept repeating over and over throughout our trip was how happy we were that we had the spade.
Yu & Frank
1985 HC-41 Hull# 11
http://sv-moitessier.blogspot.com/
stormbay
Crew

Return to Anchors, Rodes and Windlasses