[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - Rocna

Rocna

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Rocna

Postby scleary » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:29 pm

Has anyone modified the anchor rollers/bow rail to accommodate a Rocna? I found one example of a boat with a bow sprit and a Rocna, but the mods were way beyond what I want to get involved with. The Rocna is really designed for rollers that terminate on the bow, which allows the roll bar to ride high. I have a couple ofthoughts for mods on the HC, but I've not looked at it closely yet.

I have a 65lb CQR plow that is too big for the roller space, where the prior owner torqued it with the windlass- bending the stainless around the roller on the starboard side. There is a fortress on the port side, but the windlass only has one wildcat for chain on the starboard side of the windlass and a warping drum port (so having a second anchor on chain on the port side doesn't make sense). The windlass is original Ballmar, still working, but leaking hydraulic at the moment.

My thought was to eliminate the fortress and associated chain, keep the CQR as a spare, and transition to a 73lb Rocna as primary with 300' of chain.

I have the sprit and bowrail off, so now is the time to do it. Just wondering if anyone else has tried and succeeded or tried and failed, looking for pictures/experiences/etc.

Thanks,
Steve
scleary
Crew

Re: Rocna

Postby jonneely » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:31 pm

We just went with a spade anchor. Fits great on our bowsprit and sets just as good as our Manson supreme that was on our old boat. More pricey than the rocna but requires no modifications.
1982 HC33 S/V Prism
www.svprism.com
jonneely
Crew

Postby rick_bradshaw » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:58 pm

Sorry to take so long in seeing this. The new board config kind of hides it for me.

For our 25 kg/55lb Rocna, we had a "fork" welded to the bottom of the anchor platform to "catch" the bail on the anchor. This makes the shank have an upward angle that makes it difficult to walk around on the platform. However, the same is true for our 20kg/44lb Bruce secondary. The bad thing is that they tend to catch on the bobstay going up or down. But then I think the CQRs did also to some extent. I have to work it a bit to get it past but it is not or has not been a big issue for me.

If/when I do it over again, I will angle the mount outboard a bit and devise a second, lower roller (see Rocna page on examples) to make things work better. That would also necessitate a turning block to get the angle correct to feed the chain (primary) and line (secondary) to the windlass. The 100' of chain on the secondary is another matter I have not yet had to deal with but will probably use a line with a hook to a winch/windlass to do the work when it gets that far.

There you have what we have and that works with what we hope to have when we change the configuration. I've never seen a better anchor than the Rocna. Amazing how fast it sets and how well it holds. Really digs in deep.
Rick

s/v La Vita
1987 HC 33T #136
http://la-vita.us/blog/
rick_bradshaw
First Mate

Postby bluevo » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:13 pm

I have also gone with a stainless steel 30kg Spade Anchor which is fantastic in all conditions and set every time. but not cheap!!!.
Tried to fit a Rocna 30 kg , but the butchery would have been enormous and not as good holding in my view.

Regards
Grahame HC 33T UK
bluevo
Landlubber

Return to Anchors, Rodes and Windlasses