[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - Surface rust on stainless

Surface rust on stainless

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Postby mike » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:10 pm

Give it a wipe over with oxalic acid, that will remove the staining. You could use Starbrite teak brightener, or their hull stain cleaner, the other alternative if availbe where you are is X10 which once again is a hull stain remover,, all the above ar oxalic based products.

Mike.
200 ton Master
Past Owner Jolly Swagman - HC 43t Cutter Hull# 110 1987
http://www.eskside.co.uk/william_riley/mike_coates.htm
mike
Captain

Postby boatpride » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:46 pm

oxalic acid is the active ingredient. You should use bristle brushes rather than the more aggressive carbon steel brushes and steel wool. These will scratch through the chromium oxide which protects the steel. Furthering the problem.

Cheers Chris
________
Last edited by boatpride on Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
boatpride
Landlubber

Postby warmrain » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:39 am

Yacht "Warmrain" 1986 HC33T #123
Built by Hansa Yacht und Schiffbau G.M.B.H. Taichung Taiwan by Herb Guttler (last Hansa hull was #131, built 1987)

Posts are my opinion based on my experience; your results may vary from mine.
warmrain

Rust

Postby mitchk » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:48 pm

Mitch and Deb Karlson
SV Camino
1986 HC33T #104
Seabrook, Texas
mitchk

Postby warmrain » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:39 pm

Built by Hansa Yacht und Schiffbau G.M.B.H. Taichung Taiwan by Herb Guttler (last Hansa hull was #131, built 1987)

warmrain

Postby johnrobinson » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:56 pm

johnrobinson
Crew

Postby mike » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:50 pm

200 ton Master
Past Owner Jolly Swagman - HC 43t Cutter Hull# 110 1987
http://www.eskside.co.uk/william_riley/mike_coates.htm
mike
Captain

Postby warmrain » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:16 pm

warmrain

Postby mimoza » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:22 pm

Oxalic acid is pretty amazing stuff. It is an organic acid. Organic acids have a COOH group stuck onto some base molecule which defines the type of acid. Oxalic acid is just two of these COOH groups stuck back to back, so it is pretty strong for an organic acid. Still, like all organic acids it is considered to be a 'weak' acid by chemists. I know this is TMI for most of us, but here are the resulting properties and uses:

1) Oxalate really loves to combine with metals - good stain remover on many surfaces.
2) Makes kidney stones when there is too much calcium and oxalate in the diet.
(For a list of vegetables see http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/D ... xalic.html))
3) Unreacted oxalate will degrade rather easily, and there are no metals in it. It's OK for it to go into the sea.
4) Oxalate reacted with metals makes an insoluble precipitate (See 2). The only metal in the rinse-off is what was in the stain.
5) Removes stains from wood by removing metallic ions (See 1), and also lightly strips it, but only a thin surface layer.
6) Cleans heat exchangers. Most radiator flushes claiming to remove rust from your radiator are based on oxalic acid. I had a '46 Chev that stopped overheating after a good treatment. You have to wash it out right away to get all the junk out. (See 4)
7) Removes warts. [Not kidding. Wear gloves.]

With heat exchangers, one should be careful. Normally oxalic acid won't harm your exchanger, but if you have been remiss in keeping your coolant fresh, then deep corrosion might allow the oxalic acid to chew right through the walls of the exchanger. If this happens, then your exchanger's days were numbered anyway. For myself, I would not hesitate to use it on my heat exchanger if there were cooling problems; but after that I would keep a closer eye on the cooling system, and make sure the coolant is fresh. And, of course, don't forget the engine zinc.

HOOCCOOH - Good stuff.
Cap'n Bri
HC 33 "Mimoza" Hull number 43
Mimoza is the name of the Admiral, a flower, and a star - the eastern arm of the Southern Cross, also called Becrux.
mimoza
First Mate

Postby charles » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:12 pm

I had the same issue and found two commercial fixes: Barkeepers Friend and Zud. Zud works the best, but had to order online (East Coast product). It cleans the rust off very well (espicially paste). Still need to put a protectorent on after cleaning (found out the had way). I used the West Marine polish Brialliant (used to be Bright Boy). Hope this helps!

Charles
sv Seagate 38T
Chula Vista, CA
charles
First Mate

Return to Deck Hardware, Binicles and Winches