[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - Availability of "ear hawse" pipes...

Availability of "ear hawse" pipes...

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Availability of "ear hawse" pipes...

Postby warmrain » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:45 pm

My HC33T has ear hawse pipes aft and amid ship and plain hawse pipes forward. I'd like to fit ear hawse pipes forward. It looks like the amidship ear hawse pipes would work.

Has anyone done this? Does anyone know a source?

I have checked the web and I have not found a source for ones that look similar.

I am considering having them cast custom for my application.

TIA, Cars
Yacht "Warmrain" 1986 HC33T #123
Built by Hansa Yacht und Schiffbau G.M.B.H. Taichung Taiwan by Herb Guttler (last Hansa hull was #131, built 1987)

Posts are my opinion based on my experience; your results may vary from mine.
warmrain

Postby rick_bradshaw » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:23 pm

Rick

s/v La Vita
1987 HC 33T #136
http://la-vita.us/blog/
rick_bradshaw
First Mate

Postby svnakia » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:12 pm

svnakia
Crew

Postby warmrain » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:26 pm

Yacht "Warmrain" 1986 HC33T #123
Built by Hansa Yacht und Schiffbau G.M.B.H. Taichung Taiwan by Herb Guttler (last Hansa hull was #131, built 1987)

Posts are my opinion based on my experience; your results may vary from mine.
warmrain

Postby svnakia » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:38 pm

svnakia
Crew

bronze hawse with "ears"

Postby hcfirstlight » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:59 pm

Please add First Light (1986, #60, HC 33T) to the list of folks looking for two of these bronze hawse fittings with ears. We too have been looking for quite some time to fit these on the bow.
hcfirstlight
Cabinboy

Postby markfnovak » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:43 am

Note that on the HC43 the back ear hause pipes are different than the mid and fore. If you make a custom set be sure to try them in the final holes first!

Mark
markfnovak
Crew

Estetk

Postby estetik503 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:10 am

I use a bronze craft paint, and then hit it with a heavy green wash. So far, no one has complained and I've gotten a couple of compliments.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
estetik503
Landlubber

Re: Availability of "ear hawse" pipes...

Postby svmystique » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:14 pm

Not sure if any of you are still interested in this, but I broke one of those "hawse cleats" I call them as I was prying it loose as part of a deck rebuild/paint project. I will be using one of my good ones as a master, and plan to have a replacement cast. Any one interested should contact me soon, as the foundry has a 6 week backlog. To answer a few questions:
1. It's on my 43
2. It's the mid ships cleat.
3. I do have the aft cleats off as well, if anyone needs one of those cast.
4. No firm price yet, I will reply when I have it.
svmystique
Crew

Postby scleary » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:27 pm

you can likely buy these new from Jack Hall in Thailand http://www.pantaweemarine.com/. No idea if it will cost more than having them made, but I had one made myself for a 48. Keep in mind that when they use an existing part to make a casting, the new part will be smaller by a noticeable amount, screw holes won't line up.
Last edited by scleary on Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scleary
Crew

Postby svmystique » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:35 pm

I went to Port Townsend Foundry, who makes some of the most beautiful bronze stuff you will ever see. http://www.porttownsendfoundry.com/hawse.htm

While Pete (owner) said he could make me one based on my current design, he said he had some in stock that he could adapt for much less. So he took me back through several machine shops, furnace area, etc. and back in shipping he had one that was being prepped to ship out. It looked slightly different, but close enough that with my modifications, I don't think anyone will know the difference. These are made FAR more solid than what we have! They are about 1/8 in small in each of the critical dimensions (outer part of hawse pipe), but the flange itself was slightly larger than ours. The horns are about 1 1/2 in. longer so he is trimming mine back to match the others on my boat. Also, he makes these to fit through bulwarks in various thicknesses up to 14 inches. Mine is 3 1/2 inches thick, so he will make it 3 9/16 flange to flange and I will do the final grinding for a snug fit..

He was supposed to email me a photo of these so I could post it, but you really need to see how well made these are. The construction is similar to the rear hawse cleats in that the hawse pipe portion goes halfway through on each half. The through bolts are positioned differently as well (12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock) so I will need to drill new holes.

Total cost? $358.00 US.

BTW, he said the shrinkage on silicon bronze is about 3/32 per foot.
svmystique
Crew

Return to Deck Hardware, Binicles and Winches