[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - Boom Gallows

Boom Gallows

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Boom Gallows

Postby edelweiss » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:41 pm

Every HC has them, including us. I know the theory and intended use, to include resting the boom, assisting in reefing, securing for storm conditions etc.

The question I have is: Do you REALLY use it?

I was challenged by the hard dodger maker to consider taking it off. Looking around at other off shore boats I noted very few gallows in place. Most have either topping lift ( we have ) and/or boom kicker ( we dont have). I thought hard about it and I honestly dont think I use it. Are their other HC owners who would seriously miss their boom gallows and why?

Mark
1980 HC 38T/MKII hybrid
edelweiss
Crew

Re: Boom Gallows

Postby Bill » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:42 pm

When would I miss my boom gallows:
1. Motoring in swell with no sail up.
2. Sitting at anchor and having to listen to the boom swing against a tightened mainsheet.
3. Running under Jib and Jigger, no main up. It is nice to see everything in it's place and have another solid handhold if we are on the coach roof.
4. Watching fireworks at anchor and having the grandchildren sit on or lean against the boom (helmets securely in positions and cushions laid out for safety of-course : ))
5. Never had to use it but if the storm tri-sail was up it would probably be nice to have the boom secured while fiddling with a sail I have only hanked on once.
6. If I ever sold the boat. It would be nice to have the extra "bling". Kind of like the doors to the cabins on the boat. There is a place for them so why take them off.

Bill
Bill and Lisa
Beyond Reason
'79 HC43 Ketch
Hull #23
www.beyondreason.us
Bill
First Mate

Location: Finished sweating out the Mexican summers and heading home to San Francisco.

Postby jonneely » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:50 pm

We lash the the main halyard on them, also they are a great grab handle when boarding the boat on the hard and a high handle at sea. I love them
1982 HC33 S/V Prism
www.svprism.com
jonneely
Crew

Postby edelweiss » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:44 pm

The comments were appreciated. I decided to ( carefully ) remove the boom crutch and store it for reinstall later if I regret my decision. So far so good. It absence opens the appearance of the that area. However, I have notice that I have missed it when reboarding the boat from from kayaks ( AKA our dinghys) and something to lean on while Im flaking the mail sail back on the boom. The notion of using the boom for reefing never worked for me and I think it has to do with the way my sails are cut but I usually bring the boom up to the clew. The boom kicker installed is performing that task very nicely and the gadget has significantly shortened the reefing procedure time.

Mark
1980 HC 38T/MKII hybrid
edelweiss
Crew

Postby edelweiss » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:27 am

Follow up on the gallows utility. We are hauled out now and immediately prior to that we had the mast pulled out at dock side. Before that I had to unship the boom which involves removing all the attachments. It was at this point that I would have found the gallows a bit useful until I got some help from a friend to hold the other outboard end of boom while I disconnected the gooseneck. So far life with our boom gallows has been unremarkable but Im still hanging on to it in storage for a while.
1980 HC 38T/MKII hybrid
edelweiss
Crew

Return to Deck Hardware, Binicles and Winches