Chain Plates

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Chain Plates

Postby lionheart » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:58 am

Can anyone throw any light on my Christina 40 Chain Plates. I am in the process of curtailing through deck leaks, mainly through the chain plate connection points. In doing so I thought it would be a good idea to look at the plates inside the saloon, so the big question is: After removing the brass facia plates - is the Stainless section underneath the actual chain plate or is it another cover? It looks too heavy for a cover so I think it is the plate itself. I suppose I am looking for confirmation as I have never seen a photo or drawing of them. So by the way my lovely vessel is a 1989 Christina and the plates are in very good condition so the leaks are probably quite recent and not very big.

To effect the leaks repair I have enlarged the rectangular well around the stub using a vertical oscillating saw in the teak deck and cleaned out all the old sealing in and around the connection stub. I have sealed the deck with "International Everdure (2 x part)" and poured some creeping crack cure in the gaps around the stub for good measure. I have then applied "3M 5200 Marine Adhesive Sealant" into the gaps around the stub and filled the well until level with the deck. I will let this go off then fit new enlarged cover plates. 2 done, 4 plus filler tubes to go. All the best. Ray.
lionheart
Landlubber

Return to Deck Hardware, Binicles and Winches