[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - AGM Batteries

AGM Batteries

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Postby warmrain » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:36 pm

Also, typically equalization voltages will take the battery past the gassing point. This is why it is not recommended for sealed batteries (which will vent gasses off if the pressure is high enough) because the capacity of the battery can be reduced greatly due to the lose of electrolyte.
Yacht "Warmrain" 1986 HC33T #123
Built by Hansa Yacht und Schiffbau G.M.B.H. Taichung Taiwan by Herb Guttler (last Hansa hull was #131, built 1987)

Posts are my opinion based on my experience; your results may vary from mine.
warmrain

Postby mike » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:42 pm

Thanks Steve I guessed that what it was, how do achieve the higher voltage? Do you have special battery chaegers with this in-built facility?

mike
mike
Captain

Postby warmrain » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:09 pm

Built by Hansa Yacht und Schiffbau G.M.B.H. Taichung Taiwan by Herb Guttler (last Hansa hull was #131, built 1987)

warmrain

Postby steven_cleary » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:59 pm

Thanks,

Steve Cleary
1998 HC 48T
Hull #26
steven_cleary
Crew

Postby warmrain » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:28 pm

warmrain

Postby sv_bruadair » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:13 pm

Damon and David
s/v Bruadair
1984 HC33 #58
www.bruadair.us
www.sv-bruadair.blogspot.com

Out cruising somewhere in Colombia or Panama
sv_bruadair
First Mate

Postby sv_bruadair » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:26 pm

Damon and David
s/v Bruadair
1984 HC33 #58
www.bruadair.us

sv_bruadair
First Mate

Postby sv_bruadair » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:54 pm

Damon and David
s/v Bruadair
1984 HC33 #58
www.bruadair.us

sv_bruadair
First Mate

Postby warmrain » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:32 pm

warmrain

Postby sv_bruadair » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:10 am

Damon and David
s/v Bruadair
1984 HC33 #58
www.bruadair.us

sv_bruadair
First Mate

Postby warmrain » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:01 pm

warmrain

Postby sv_bruadair » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:04 am

Just a quick note, we finally ordered our new batteries. I had stated in my earlier post above that we were going to order the Deka (good batteries) because the Trojans weren't available in Honduras. Guess I was wrong. When I went to order the batteries the gentleman there said he had to contact his distributer in the US to get a price. I asked, since he was calling the US, if he could inquire about Trojans. A few hours later I learned that he could in fact get them. So I ordered 6 and another boater ordered six more. They'll be waiting for me when I return next week. I'll post my opinions of them with installation photos after we get back on the hook.

Oh, since I'm here in the states I ended up ordering the WaterMisers, battery caps that help to reduce the amount of water that escapes. I'll also post my opinions on those later in the year.
Damon and David
s/v Bruadair
1984 HC33 #58
www.bruadair.us

sv_bruadair
First Mate

Postby warmrain » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:26 pm

Trojans... great! You may end up liking them better than the AGM or GELs... Are you going to have to construct a box for them (as there was not needed for the AGMs...)?

I think you will like the caps. I have heard good things about them.

It seems like a bought a new analog multimeter about every 2 or 3 years until I finally got a water-proof Fluke (yup, really). I've had it for about 10 years and it's great. One of the best $$ I've spent.

Best, Cars

warmrain

Postby mike » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:39 pm

FWIW, when I replaced the batteries on Jolly Swagman which had unbelievably lasted nearly 10 years I used heavy duty automotive 155 A/H made by Fiamm (Italian) possibly because we have a wind genny that keeps them `topped up' they have lasted us 5-6 years, they loose very little water through charging evaporation possibly because we never have to charge them hard.

mike
200 ton Master
Past Owner Jolly Swagman - HC 43t Cutter Hull# 110 1987
http://www.eskside.co.uk/william_riley/mike_coates.htm
mike
Captain

Postby warmrain » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:48 pm

Similar experience with Gels. I had a pair last just over 12 years of use mixed between summer deep cycles and winter living aboard in a marina. A attribute this to the charging system. Shoreside it is the multi-stage charger in the Prosine 2.0 that can be tailored to the specific battery's requirements and on the hook a similar programable alternator controller made by Balmar (called a Max Charge) coupled with their 100 amp alternator.

warmrain

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical, Wiring, Batteries, AC / DC