[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - Magnum Energy Product review (charger/inverter, monitor)

Magnum Energy Product review (charger/inverter, monitor)

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Magnum Energy Product review (charger/inverter, monitor)

Postby sv_bruadair » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:22 am

No too long ago we replaced our aging Freedom inverter charger and Link 2000 battery monitor with a new and more efficient inverter charger and battery monitoring system from Magnum Products.

The old system consisted of a Freedom 1512 inverter charger. The inverter was 1500 watts with a modified sine wave and a 70 amp battery charger. As we spend most of our time at anchor we use a Honda EU2000i generator to run the charger. Using the Honda the most we could get out of the Freedom was about 63 amps.

The new Magnum MS2012 inverter charger is a 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter with a 100 amp battery charger. Being a much more efficient charger it will put out a maximum of 90 amps when powered from the Honda generator, though 80 to 85 amps doesn't seem to pus the Honda as hard. We keep it set to a maximum output of 70 amps as Rolls recommends 73.5 amps as the maximum charge rate for our battery bank. This unit is much quieter than the Freedom unit in both invert and charge modes. There is also no RF interference when the charger is running. Using the optional RC50 remote panel one can have excellent control over the charge functions and the information provided is much more detailed and even easier to obtain than our former Link 2000 used to control the Freedom unit. The Magnum MS2012 is also very close in size to the Freedom and was even six pounds lighter. It is a huge improvement over the Freedom unit and we're very happy with it.

The RC50 or ARC50 remote panels are exceptionally easy to program and use. We have the optional Magnum Battery Monitoring Kit (BMK) installed as well and find it to be very accurate in reporting voltage, amps and amp hours. I like that I can at the push of a button see the temperature of the batteries as they are charging to make sure I'm not charging at too high a rate as the batteries heat up. The display is the same dimension as the Link 2000 and its only drawback is that it will monitor only one battery bank. It would have been nice to be able to monitor the engine back as well, if anything at least it's voltage.

Overall the installation was exceptionally easy as it was almost a direct replacement for the Freedom and Link. A couple pluses is that Magnum products are made in the US and their inverter/chargers are field serviceable. They have also provided us great pre-sales support and have answered all our questions regarding programming the charger in a timely manner.

I think its important to share when we come across a product and a company that we're very satisfied with so I wanted to share our experience with Magnum.
Damon and David
s/v Bruadair
1984 HC33 #58
www.bruadair.us
www.sv-bruadair.blogspot.com

Out cruising somewhere in Colombia or Panama
sv_bruadair
First Mate

Postby mimoza » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:22 pm

Last edited by mimoza on Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cap'n Bri
HC 33 "Mimoza" Hull number 43
Mimoza is the name of the Admiral, a flower, and a star - the eastern arm of the Southern Cross, also called Becrux.
mimoza
First Mate

Postby sv_bruadair » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:28 pm

Cap'n Bri,

The document you referred to was published by Rolls/Surrette in 2005 and since then the information has been updated over the years as the battery construction/technology changed. The most recent Rolls/Surrette owner's manual was published in 12/2010 and updated in 01/2011.

On page 11 the manual states
"The recommended maximum current is 15% of the AH capacity of the battery bank based on the 6 hour rate. A lower current can be used, but this will prolong the charging time."

The 20 hr rate of the EHW220 is 220 amp hours, the 6hr rate is 163 amp hours. For my six batteries the total 6 hour rate is (163*3) = 489. Maximum recommended charge rate is 15% of 489 or 73.35 amps. My charger can be set at 10 amp intervals so I have it set for 70 amps, 80 would have been higher than the recommended.

On page 11 it also gives a formula for setting the absorption time which is .42*(20 hr rate)/absorb amps, or .42*660/62 = 4.5 hours. I used 62 amps as that is what the charger puts out most of the time that it is in absorption mode.

While I went through the manual and followed their instructions I also decided to send an email to Rolls. They confirmed that with my equipment and set up the ideal charge rate is 70 amps and an absorption time of 4.5 to 5.5 hours. The bulk/absorb voltage is set to 14.4 vdc (usually temperature compensated down to 14.2) and float at 13.3 (temperature compensated down to 13.1), which matches the manual recommendations.

After having used this set up for the past 10 days I have to say that in regards to the Magnum charger I'm very impressed. It charges much much faster than the previous Freedom unit. And it's level of customizing hopefully ensures I get a long life out of my batteries.

Hope this clears things up a little.
Damon and David
s/v Bruadair
1984 HC33 #58
www.bruadair.us

sv_bruadair
First Mate

Postby sv_bruadair » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:33 pm

Just an update. We did up our charger output to 80 amps after confirming with Rolls/Surrette that it would be okay to do so. The reason is when the charger was set to 70 amps maximum output only abut 62 to 65 amps were actually going into the batteries, the remaining was used to support the loads (refrigerator, fans, lights, radio....). Increasing the charger output to 80 amps now has about 73 or so amps going into the batteries with the balance supporting the loads. With the increase we decreased our absorption time to 4 hours.
Damon and David
s/v Bruadair
1984 HC33 #58
www.bruadair.us

sv_bruadair
First Mate

Postby mimoza » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:48 pm

Thanks for elaborating on this.

While the packages have changed, lead-acid battery technology has not changed significantly since the time of Volta. However, there are certainly more reference data to guide charging strategies. This slower charging strategy during the bulk phase is definitely a departure from the past. It will change how I program my charger/inverter and alternator/regulator.

I will delete my previous attachment so that it doesn't get propagated anymore, and I am including the up to date Rolls manual with this post. I will also send an email to Rolls of New England suggesting that they update their online suite of manuals.

Thanks again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cap'n Bri
Mimoza is the name of the Admiral, a flower, and a star - the eastern arm of the Southern Cross, also called Becrux.
mimoza
First Mate

Postby mimoza » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:56 pm

btw, for those not using Rolls batteries, they manufacture very high quality batteries. But even if you are using a less expensive lead-acid battery, I would take the Rolls manual recommendations seriously, as the basic chemistry is the same for all lead-acid batteries. Rolls batteries are said to last longer. It is partly due to their superior construction and partly due to their charging recommendations.
Cap'n Bri
mimoza
First Mate

Postby sv_bruadair » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:29 am

Thanks for posting the manual, I mean to do that but my connection is slow so attachments don't always work.

Rolls recommends the maximum charge rate of 15% of the 6 hour rate. Trojan (and most others) suggests up to 20 to 25% of the 20 hour rate. I wonder if Rolls recommends a lower rate but at a longer charge time because their lead plates are much thicker than anyone else than the others.

Some signs of over charging is rapid water consumption and bulging sides. We didn't have those issues with our four and a half year old Trojans, but then our battery charger at most charged at 10% of their 20 hour rate. I'll have to keep an eye on the Rolls until we get used to the charge parameters. We are charging at their maximum rate so if we start to notice any of the over charging signs we'll dial down the amps a bit. That's the nice thing about the Magnum, easy to do. Not so much so on the Freedom.
Damon and David
s/v Bruadair
1984 HC33 #58
www.bruadair.us

sv_bruadair
First Mate

Postby turbin » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:07 pm

Hi guys!
During my energic digging in my 43 Christina, I find a huge Weserbeke diesel gen set. 8 kw. 2500 hourers at houremeter. The unit will weight about 300 kg. Well bolted at the boat and using all space under the cockpit. Can hardly see the stearingsystem behind. I read some post about Honda unit. Is it gasoline? How to get out of the exhaust...if I use same place. There are 3 system onboard using lot of energy. Freezercompressor, saltwater cooled, aircondition (reversible) with broken saltwaterpump (110V) and a watermaker. Are this system energyconsuming so I must have a little nuclearplant onboard. Give me some advice!
Peter
HC43C
Hn 15..says the paper
turbin
Crew

Postby sv_bruadair » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:36 am

Hi Peter,

The Honda generators are not meant to be run inside the boat or in a closed environment. It would be very unsafe to do that. We run ours on the stern platform of the boat so that the exhaust is blown down wind and away from the boat. Yes, it is a gasoline generator. It is only a 2kw generator, it's max running output is about 1.5kw or so, thus it would not be sufficient to run a reverse cycle air conditioner. Your generator at 8kw seems pretty large, maybe you could get a smaller diesel generator. An alternative is to see if there are more energy efficient freezer compressors and such to reduce your need for such a large generator.
Damon and David
s/v Bruadair
1984 HC33 #58
www.bruadair.us

sv_bruadair
First Mate

Postby turbin » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:34 pm

Hi guys! Thanks for your answer. Last week I spend sailing in our (Swedish) archepelagour and during this sailing I learn lot moore about my Christina. I at last get the aircondition up and running...reverse, we had some cold nights. And now I understand why she is equipped with a small nuclear...8 kW genset. If I runn frezercompressor, watercooled and aircondition also watercooled its need this diesel. The tric will be to understand how much I have to use the genset. In end of the week I only need 30 minutes to warm up the cabin. The boat is so good isolated so it was OK to wake up and get coffie in the morning. The freezersystem hold the temperature for at least 2 days and take maybe one hourer to complete down at temp. Another thing I learn, dont push the genoa thru the wind with the engine...I ripped the sail with spreader.. Bad seamanship. But the genoa was 24 year old, uncoverd and most of the time in Californiasun. After this week I will say..I love the boat.
turbin
Crew

Postby sv_bruadair » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:11 pm

I can only imagine how beautiful it is up where you are at but I have to admit it sounds very cold. I'm sure most of us here on the message board have had our learning curve and have made our own mistakes. Glad you're enjoying the boat.
Damon and David
s/v Bruadair
1984 HC33 #58
www.bruadair.us

sv_bruadair
First Mate

Xantrex Inverter/Charger and Link 2000

Postby apropos43 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:52 pm

Jim
SV Apropos
'82 HC43 Ketch #64
apropos43
Crew

Charge current

Postby apropos43 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:50 pm

Jim
SV Apropos
'82 HC43 Ketch #64
apropos43
Crew

Postby sv_bruadair » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:41 pm

Hi Jim,

AGM batteries can usually charge at a much higher rate than wet cell batteries. It would probably be best to check with the manufacturer for their recommendations. We replaced our Freedom inverter/charger and Link system because we wanted much better control over our charging system. The Magnum give us that control to ensure our batteries get a long life out of them.
Damon and David
s/v Bruadair
1984 HC33 #58
www.bruadair.us

sv_bruadair
First Mate

AGM charging specs

Postby apropos43 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:06 am

I found the specs for my AGM batteries, and they recommend Ichg < 0.2 x C20 for bulk charging. So for my setup, that would be (.2)(224)(3) = 134.4A, so it looks like my Link 2000 setup is ok. Thanks...
Jim
SV Apropos
'82 HC43 Ketch #64
apropos43
Crew

Return to Electrical, Wiring, Batteries, AC / DC