[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - Electric wiring, cables.

Electric wiring, cables.

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Electric wiring, cables.

Postby turbin » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:22 am

Hi all around!
I am walking around at the farm, and can not stop thinking about our fellows at Dolphin. It is so sad accident and the only good thing no person was injured. As I can understand, its a electric problem in tha bottom line. I want a discussion about cables onboard. When I look around at my Christina, I find all sorts of cable quality...or without quality? Plastc, rubber..you name it. One leader or sevrel leaders. Singel core, one copperline, and also with multi core. In my time at navy we used real marine grade cables. Standing for vibration and salty air. Our boats are not that big, and I want the very best I can find. Pls give me a direction.
Peter Ruyter
s/v CHRISTINA
XSA43015E787
1987 HC43Ch #15
Vasteras
Sweden
turbin
Crew

Postby Great_Aardvark » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:03 am

I bought my cable from Defender Marine. I have two sizes depending on the current draw. I bought both 3 wire (for AC) and 2 iwre ( for DC. I will also be replacing my power panel. It is recommended that you do not use solid wire on a boat due to the constant movement...

Hope this helps
Tony
Said Rat "If you believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing, half so worth doing as - simply messing around in boats!"
1984 HC 33 Hull #59
S/V Shearwater
Charlotte North Carolina
Great_Aardvark
First Mate

Postby turbin » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:16 pm

Hi Tony!
I am trying to find tenned multipple (>15) core with oilresist isolation around. Here we are talking about sqare mm (mm2). For ex, I think I will use at least 2,0 mm2 for each leader. Or maybe 2,5 mm2. To rewinding all lights around. Then its as you say depending of currents.. Hopefully nobody use singel solid core at the boat. Dangerous! Also never without tenned copper. I find sevrel blank copper wires wich have corroded and broke betwin connection and isolation. I will look at Defenders catalog and learn moore about your system.. If I find anything else, my report will come. This looks like simple question, but it is not. Its a important question! Take care!
Peter Ruyter
s/v CHRISTINA
XSA43015E787
1987 HC43Ch #15
Vasteras
Sweden
turbin
Crew

Postby Great_Aardvark » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:49 pm

I should have noticed your location. While the quality of the HC is good some things are not as good. The wiring is one of those areas. I don't believe that they had a real electrical engineer help in the design of the boats. The wiring is not the kind that should have been used on a boat and there are a couple of runs with wiring I would have never used. The wiring you get from Defender I made for boats and should be serviceable for many years. The cable is flat like used is a home but stranded. Regarding size I may go to a smaller size for my lighting since I am changing to LED which draw very little current.
Tony
Said Rat "If you believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing, half so worth doing as - simply messing around in boats!"
1984 HC 33 Hull #59
S/V Shearwater
Charlotte North Carolina
Great_Aardvark
First Mate

Postby turbin » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:04 pm

Hi Tony!
Good to have this issue up and go! I find your flat, white cables connecting aircondition and watermaker down below. Sure, its good, but I am a old stubbern marine engineer, I want this thing realy good. To day I have messed around with supplyer of cables to the royal navy. I describe our thinking and promised them very small delivery. We dont used 1000 meter, maybe 25 here and there, but we (HC owners) want good and better stuff. We want sail! And we want have a glas of wine, sometime a wisky. Never firefighting! I think they get the point, lets see whats comming back. I agree with you, behind the electric panel opens a dark hole of mess. If anybody can supply a wiring diagram..pls! It will save me many cool hourers finding out how it works. I find a bad thing, under deck, inside, the roof is lined with some perforated stuff. There is a twinlamp amarture and a twin 110 volts outlet. I dismantled..and find realy rutten material..12 volt lamp power mixed with 110 volt outlets..sometime have water hit this area and the rest you can tink at yourself. A mess! Lets rework all this thing so we can say we are classified ( qualified) shipsowners. Or? Take care!
Peter Ruyter
s/v CHRISTINA
XSA43015E787
1987 HC43Ch #15
Vasteras
Sweden
turbin
Crew

Postby turbin » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:57 am

Hi!
This will help me to convert and calcylate.

http://www.solar-wind.co.uk/cable-sizing-DC-cables.html

Your comments!

Lets work!
Peter Ruyter
s/v CHRISTINA
XSA43015E787
1987 HC43Ch #15
Vasteras
Sweden
turbin
Crew

Postby turbin » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:07 pm

Peter Ruyter
s/v CHRISTINA
XSA43015E787
1987 HC43Ch #15
Vasteras
Sweden
turbin
Crew

Postby SV_Pegasus » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:32 pm

In 2007 I had the opportunity to completely rewire the mast. What did I find going up the mast? BLACK LAMP CORD!

When I replaced the distribution panel, I found NINE different colored wires coming into the distribution panel! While this is not strange by ABYC standards, sometimes the pink was hot and sometimes it was a ground!

Enough said.
Sam Thayer
S/V Pegasus
HC33 #29

"I can teach you how to sail; I cannot teach you why."
SV_Pegasus
First Mate

Return to Electrical, Wiring, Batteries, AC / DC