Battery banks

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Battery banks

Postby rachelngeorge » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:51 am

Hi from R &G,
We've just purchased very unloved HC38 traditional, but we are in love with her and have just commenced the long and expensive prosess of restoring her to her former glory!!
One thing that has us puzzled is the location of her battery bank.
Can anyone tell us what the initial build location would have been???
The battery bank is currently just fwd of the galley, under the settie, in a very agricultural looking battery box.
The problem we have with that is, that the timber floor members don't seem to be handling the weight of the bank, and has deformed the sole around the dinnet, and to make matters worse, under the crude battery box which happens to be fibreglassed in place and impossible to remove with ought major demolition work....is....??? Yes!!! You guessed it, the 1 1/2" bronze seacock for the galley sinks, which has never been serviced and is seized open.......
So, can anyone tell us where the battery bank would have been located at the time of construction???

Thanks, R & G
rachelngeorge
Landlubber

Re: Battery banks

Postby charles » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:57 pm

On my 38T the bank is under the forward portion of the quarter berth.
Charles
sv Seagate 38T
Ventura, CA
charles
First Mate

Postby rachelngeorge » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:35 pm

Thanks Charles,
As we had thought!! the battery bank should be further aft, which may also improve the for and aft trim, helping the cockpit drain better, currently we seem to get water poolling at the fwd end of the cockpit when the drains are at the aft end.
On our HC38 we don't have a quarter birth. We have a double cabin to port, and a lazaret to starboard and a hanging locker inside to starboard of the companion way. The only possible place I can find that could be the original location, is under the companion way steps. There is a hot water system there now that appears to have been placed there not that long ago.
Thanks again for your help Charles!!!!
Could anyone else that has a similar layout to our boat tell us the location of the battery bank??

Thanks R&G
rachelngeorge
Landlubber

Postby charles » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:48 pm

I would think that you could put it under the seat for the nav station (forward part of quarter berth on mine). I have also thought of pulling the two drawers from the aft cabin and putting an additional bank there. As to the cockpit drains, even moving the batteries won't be enough for that. It is a design flaw and the only solution I have heard is to add 2 more drains at the other end.
Charles
sv Seagate 38T
Ventura, CA
charles
First Mate

Postby rachelngeorge » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:03 am

We have a hanging or wet locker where your nav seat would be, and I am considering moving the bank into that location. I do like your idea of the extra cockpit drains at the fwd end of the cockpit, I will look into that.
Thanks Charles
rachelngeorge
Landlubber

Postby odyssey » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:44 am

Hello R&G,

I also have a 38T. She is a 1979 model. My house batteries are under the dinette settee in front of the engine. I have a total of 4 golf cart batteries and have 2 in front of the engine under the settee and two more under the dinette settee adjacent to the mast compression post. I cannot say if this is the original location since the boat has had several owners before us. There is also an engine starting battery under the dinette settee just in front of the galley sink as well.
My cockpit holds water also just like yours. I do not think it is a weight distribution issue as much as a deck design flaw. You can either learn to live with it or install some additional drains like previously mentioned.

Regards,
Odyssey
HC 38T
odyssey
Landlubber

Postby rachelngeorge » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:53 am

Hello Odyssey

I guess if your battery banks are set up in a similar location to ours, it must have been a design option at the time of construction.
It just seems odd that the galley sink outlet is located under the battery box and can't be accessed withought it being demolished first :D . So I guess I either need to move the battery banks or the through hull outlet for the sinks.

Mmmmmm??

Cheers R&G
Vagabond blues
rachelngeorge
Landlubber

Postby mimoza » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:45 pm

My $.02
I would move the batteries. The seized though hull is a sinking waiting to happen. Good access is a priority.
Fair winds...
Cap'n Bri
HC 33 "Mimoza" Hull number 43
Mimoza is the name of the Admiral, a flower, and a star - the eastern arm of the Southern Cross, also called Becrux.
mimoza
First Mate

Postby rachelngeorge » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:55 am

Hello Mimoza,

Thanks for your response , we are in total agreement, and that's why we are of the belief that the batteries have been moved from there original location.
This is going to be one of our priority jobs, in a job list that seems to be growing by the minute.

Thanks again!!

Cheers R & G
Vagabond Blues
rachelngeorge
Landlubber

Return to Electrical, Wiring, Batteries, AC / DC