Question about water holding tanks

Hose Clamps, Seacocks & Thru-hulls, Heads, Holding Tanks and Sanitation

Moderators: mimoza, warmrain

Question about water holding tanks

Postby andyv94 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:12 pm

I am in the process of purchasing a HC33 and on the survey it says that the holding tank in the aft berth is rusty.

Question
-what material are water tanks in the HC33 made out of? Or is this an added diesel tank??
-does anybody else has the same issue or has had it in the past?

Unfortunately I haven't been in the boat because it is 2000 miles away.....is that a water tank or a fuel tank? is this normal or abnormal?!

Thank you guys
andyv94
First Mate

Re: Question about water holding tanks

Postby mimoza » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:38 pm

It's probably the hot water heater, but it could be an additional water tank. Also conceivable that it is an additional black water holding tank, but not likely since the head is at the other end of the boat

The holding, water(2), and fuel tanks are all in the keel. If they are OK, then this tank is probably a hot water heater.
Cap'n Bri
HC 33 "Mimoza" Hull number 43
Mimoza is the name of the Admiral, a flower, and a star - the eastern arm of the Southern Cross, also called Becrux.
mimoza
First Mate

Postby andyv94 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:40 pm

I see, thank you........I guess the surveyor missed it in the report
andyv94
First Mate

Postby andrewrevell » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:37 am

We just replaced the most forward water tank (smallest one) and back water tank in our 38T. The bottoms were totally rusted out, they were made of SS but talking to others 33 years is about the life of SS at sea. We took them out and there was enough still there for the metal fabricator the use them as templates. The water tank lifted out easily but we had to remove the sole and cut up the blackwater tank. We got the blackwater tank made about 5 inches shorter now it is very easy to fit in. We got large SS tabs on the tanks and fibre glassed them in. We have 2 other tanks and they seem to be OK at this stage. The fuel tanks are steel and need cleaning regularly but we are making do.
andrewrevell
Landlubber

Return to Plumbing and Such