Galley lift pumps

Hose Clamps, Seacocks & Thru-hulls, Heads, Holding Tanks and Sanitation

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Galley lift pumps

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:49 pm

My HC has a salt water and a fresh water lift pump as per the attached picture neither of which work. I've tried forcing water back down them in an attempt to wet the (leather?) diaphragm which may have dried out and not give a good seal, but no good.
So after an exhaustive search for a box spanner that fits to get the back nut off and remove the tap (it's a Whitworth size not metric) I got the nut off but the tap still refuses to budge! Yes I've hit it really hard with a lump hammer via a block of wood, it may be a granite work top but I think I'm pushing my luck hitting it harder, and frankly flat on my back reaching around the basin I think I'ld struggle to hit it harder.
It seems like the back nut doesn't actually hold it on. It's like the whole under counter section of the tap is screwed into the section. This idea is reinforced by the fact it's not just the pump lever that can rotate, but if you grab the tap spout that rotates as well. The brass flange remains static on the worktop but the whole tap rotates on what is obviously an internal thread.
One would imaging if the tap barrel could be rotated round and round it would simply unscrew from the flange/back nut arrangement on the counter, but of course you can't do that as the tap spout hits the teak back wall. The spout itself cannot be unscrewed although it looks like it's soldered/braised onto the body of the tap, maybe this could be heated and removed?
Anyone with any bright ideas?
Steve

Re: Galley lift pumps

Postby Bill » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:38 pm

Steve,

I don't see the pictures but assume this is the same lift pump as most of the HC's. Here are two things you can try if the pump has not be used for a while.

1. If you unscrew the top nut, you should be able to lift that far enough to squirt a little vegetable oil on top of the leather cup. Let that sit for a number of hours.
2. If you pull the water line from the bottom of the pump, under the counter. You can take a normal size pencil and stick it into the opening. There is a ball bearing that seals this opening which allows water to travel in only one direction. That ball gets stuck after lack of use. If you pop it up from the underside, many times that will solve your issue.

Best.
Bill and Lisa
Beyond Reason
'79 HC43 Ketch
Hull #23
www.beyondreason.us
Bill
First Mate

Location: Finished sweating out the Mexican summers and heading home to San Francisco.

Postby hollos02 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:01 pm

Hi Bill, thanks for that, I will try both things. I fear the leather seals are beyond redemption though as I managed to force water up the spout over the period of a couple of days so they must have been well wetted with no improvement in the pumping ability. Worth a go with the oil though and I didn't know about the ball bearing so will get to work with a pencil!

I'll try again with the picture, think it was too big to upload before.

Regards, Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hollos02
Cabinboy

Postby clonjers » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:31 pm

I understood that one of you issues was being able to remove the pump completely. From memory mine had a nut located under the counter.

Take a look at a new pump, Finspray is a good replacement I think and see how it is supposed to be installed.

Sorry I am not more help.
clonjers
First Mate

Postby dougmitchell » Fri May 26, 2017 8:27 pm

Did you get the the pumps working? I have the same issue and will try the vegetable oil and ball bearing tricks to start with.
S/V Hoptoad
1985 HC33T Hull #88
dougmitchell
Landlubber

Return to Plumbing and Such