[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - Bowsprit "Kingpin"

Bowsprit "Kingpin"

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Bowsprit "Kingpin"

Postby Bill » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:47 pm

Bill and Lisa
Beyond Reason
'79 HC43 Ketch
Hull #23
www.beyondreason.us
Bill
First Mate

Location: Finished sweating out the Mexican summers and heading home to San Francisco.

Postby warmrain » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:52 pm

Yacht "Warmrain" 1986 HC33T #123
Built by Hansa Yacht und Schiffbau G.M.B.H. Taichung Taiwan by Herb Guttler (last Hansa hull was #131, built 1987)

Posts are my opinion based on my experience; your results may vary from mine.
warmrain

Postby Bill » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:14 am

Bill and Lisa
Beyond Reason
'79 HC43 Ketch
Hull #23
www.beyondreason.us
Bill
First Mate

Location: Finished sweating out the Mexican summers and heading home to San Francisco.

Postby warmrain » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:18 am

Built by Hansa Yacht und Schiffbau G.M.B.H. Taichung Taiwan by Herb Guttler (last Hansa hull was #131, built 1987)

warmrain

Re: Bowsprit "Kingpin"

Postby svmystique » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:32 pm

I have pondered the function of this as well. Currently my deck is going back together (new foam core) and there is no backing plate in mine, just a rain leak like you have. BTW, these holes are not sealed from the coring- you probably have rot developing around that hole. It appears that the only possible function for that bolt is to provide extra support for the foredeck without adding an arch below.

I'm building a new bowsprit at the moment and may put in a new "pin" or not. If I do, I will drill an oversized hole in the foredeck (1 1/2 inch or so) then fill it with epoxy and cabosil before drilling the final hole.
svmystique
Crew

Postby warmrain » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:19 pm

the embedded bronze plates are common on our 33. Our 33 doesn't have the bolt you speak of, however it is a common fixture on many bowsprits. I think your worry about water being absorbed and rotting the sprit are valid. I've seen one bowsprit fail under sail from on a CT41 and it is not pretty. That rot was due to the same bolt passing through. You do not want to be worrying about this when the weather and seas pipe up. You need to have confidence in your boat. Remember passage making is 90% preparation and 10% execution.

I don't recommend you do any work on the bowsprit fastenings to the boat when there is any tension on the forestay.

warmrain

Postby stormbay » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:26 pm

Our original bowsprit rotted from the inside out because of poorly bedded hardware. When I built our new one I treated all of the holes through it with Curprinol 9 wood preservative. Its commonly used to treat wooden fence posts that are in constant contact with wet ground. When we put our sprit back on the boat the "pin" helped keep the sprit from drooping down forward until we were able to attach the forstay. Im not sure what else it really does though. I doubt that its structural.
Yu & Frank
1985 HC-41 Hull# 11
http://sv-moitessier.blogspot.com/
stormbay
Crew

Postby warmrain » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:38 pm

Usually that is done by having a part of the bowsprit that extends into the base of the Samson post or the connector between a pair of mooring bitts, that is how it is done on the HC33T.

warmrain

Postby RABL » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:39 am

I have had to replace my bowsprit due to internal rot caused by water being allowed to penetrate through the very bolt in issue here. After making the mistake of trying to use a woodworker for the repair, I learned my lesson and used a professional shipwright for the job. I caution you to make sure the sprit is professionally made and fitted. It is more critical and delicate of an operation than at first blush, as working of the sprit (i.e. movement under load) will cause problems you don't want when you least can afford it. As for that bolt, the shipwright made clear to me that it was important to hold the sprit down. In fact, it is the only vertical bolt holding down the sprit down. On my vessel it exits into the V-Berth abaft of the Sampson Post and is secured with a washer/nut. Where the sprit passes through the Sampson Post, there is the belay pin that horizontally goes through the sprit. That pin is not designed to take all the vertical load. From experience, if that bolt leaks at all, fix it quick. Pull the bolt and re-bed it. My new sprit is gorgeous, but not something I want to redo again.

RABL
HC43T
RABL
Landlubber

Postby edelweiss » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:01 pm

Hey RABL
You are describing at least one more bolt than I can account for. My bowsprit is held captive by a large bolt that passes horizontally thru the sprit and the knight heads on either side of it. The sprit then continues forward to pass thru the staysail stay chainplate and then to the cransiron. I dont have any fastenings that pass thru the bowsprit vertically. Can you clarify or put up a photo?

Thanks
Mark
1980 HC 38T/MKII hybrid
edelweiss
Crew

Postby stormbay » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:12 pm

I believe this is the bolt that everyone is talking about
As for "holding the sprit down", I simply don't see how that could be (unless your talking about holding it down until the rigging is attached). The rigging i.e. for-stay, bobstay, whiskers, and Sampson post all work together to hold the sprit in its place. In fact the sprit mostly serves to transfer the loads from one stay to another (this includes all vertical loads) and as a byproduct some force is directed back to the Sampson posts. The vast majority of the forces on the spar itself are compressive and directed back along its length to be absorbed by the Sampson post. The vertical loads that are involved would be far too great for that single unbacked bolt to have much effect overall, witch would explain why a lot of bowsprits do not have it including most 33's. I have even seen several HC's where the bowsprit ends at the Sampson posts with no ill effects.
Yu & Frank
1985 HC-41 Hull# 11
http://sv-moitessier.blogspot.com/
stormbay
Crew

Postby kcbrown » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:10 am

On the HC 38, it is further forward. It caused lots of rot in my bow sprit, which I repaired. I then removed the bolt because it really does not serve a purpose. I did this three years ago and there is no negative effect. All the pressure from the bow sprit is compression into the Sampson posts. Make sure they are not rotted below the deck. Mine were in a sad state, so I replace them with black locust. I would recommend getting rid of the bolt.
kcbrown
Landlubber

Return to Miscellaneous Stuff