[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - HC HAMS

HC HAMS

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

HC Hams

Postby svhokuloa » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:52 am

Go to Downwindmarine.com and download their Crusers Guide. It has a list of ham nets on the west coast.
Ed D
SV Hokuloa
38 MarkII
svhokuloa
Cabinboy

Postby mike » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:38 am

Ed,

do you sail out of the Columbia river? I was once stationed with the Cg at the Motor lifeboat School Cape Dissapointment.

mike
200 ton Master
Past Owner Jolly Swagman - HC 43t Cutter Hull# 110 1987
http://www.eskside.co.uk/william_riley/mike_coates.htm
mike
Captain

Postby svhokuloa » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:10 pm

Yes Mike, We have made 8 to 10 bar crossings. Still consider myself an amateur.

Ed
Ed D
SV Hokuloa
38 MarkII
svhokuloa
Cabinboy

Postby mike » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:20 pm

Ed,

I was there in April '87 on an exchange course with our lifeboat service, I had the opportunity to do the full heavy weather coxswains course (5 weeks) which gave me excellent tuition in heavy weather boat handling especially in the surf - we never use to go to sea unless there was at least 10ft of surf!

Beautiful area, drove south to Garibaldi, Tillamook & Depoe Bay a couple of times & also north to Vancover through Tacoma & Seattle. I can remember the Astoria Megler bridge, I guess you must have to pass under it when to go to the open sea.

some day I hope to come back & drive the west coast back up to Canada, would like to sail Puget sound.

mike
200 ton Master
mike
Captain

Postby mimoza » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:10 pm

Hi Mike,
You would probably be interested in seeing my friend's boat. She first entered service in 1904 as a CG surf rescue boat in Astoria. When taken out of CG service, she was covered over with a canvas and wood deck and a teak house. Without doubt the second ugliest boat I have ever seen, she still makes 8 knots easily. When she is out of the water, that solid bronze keel is quite a sight.

Give a shout before you do that drive. Sea Witch is on Lake Union in Seattle.
Cap'n Bri
HC 33 "Mimoza" Hull number 43
Mimoza is the name of the Admiral, a flower, and a star - the eastern arm of the Southern Cross, also called Becrux.
mimoza
First Mate

Postby mike » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:43 pm

Bri,

Have you had a look at the William Riley website showing part of the hull restoration work I carried out?

mike.
200 ton Master
mike
Captain

Postby mimoza » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:51 pm

I am very impressed. The restoration work is beautiful. I've forwarded the link to my friend with the USCG lifeboat. His was built in Bayonne, New Jersey by the Electric Boat Company (I'm not sure what the significance of the name is, but it is not an electric boat.)

Mahogany is wonderful, but given my skills, I am grateful for the invention of FRP.

Perhaps we should surrender our hijacking of this thread? Click on my email if you want.

When you return to Washington State, I'll take you out on the s/v Mimoza.
Cap'n Bri
Mimoza is the name of the Admiral, a flower, and a star - the eastern arm of the Southern Cross, also called Becrux.
mimoza
First Mate

Postby svhokuloa » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:20 pm

Mike;

We love the Oregon Coast. It is a beautiful place.

Be sure to look us up when you get out this way.

Ed
Ed D
SV Hokuloa
38 MarkII
svhokuloa
Cabinboy

Postby charles » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:59 am

I am preparing for a circumnavigation in 2 years and am very curious about the winlink overuse issue. As a ham operator, is it the best solution? Are the commercial alternatives cost effective/viable? Is satellite internet going to be affordable both from usage fees and equipment costs? thnx

Charles
sv Seagate, 38T
K7RV
charles
First Mate

Postby mimoza » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:47 pm

Hello Charles,

I recommend that you check out one of the more active HAM bulletin boards on the web. Register for a free account (I haven't got any SPAM during several years of logging in) at
http://forums.qrz.com/index.php
Use the advanced search function to look for topics with "winlink" in the title. Perusing these topics will give you some sense of how the ham community at large feels about winlink. Some offer thoughtful commentary on the difficulties in scaling up the system, especially for emergeency services. Others offer foam-at-the-mouth condemnations of the system, complete with misspelled malapropisms. I think the latter predominate.

I think I would consider very carefully whether this would be the system I would use for regular communications. The volume of data throughput is very low, and it is illegal to do anything that smacks of commercial traffic - like ordering parts.
However, there is one feature of the system which makes it quite attractive even if you don't send and receive any email on it.
http://www.winlink.org/userPositions in conjunction with
http://www.findu.com
maintain a database of user locations throughout the world, which is updated as often as a user logs in. Click on the userPositions link to see what I mean. It is very cool. Even if you aren't in constant communication with loved ones back home, they can check the map to see where you are, provided your winlink system is functioning.

If you choose to use winlink, I recommend that you not rely on it as your only means of staying in touch, and that you severely limit your communications on it (no photos). Don't whitelist everybody you know or you will be unable to receive all your mail in one night.

===

'Affordable' is always relative, isn't it? I'm sure costs will continue to come down, and it would not surprise me if new technologies, or rather, new implementations of existing technologies come online in the very short term.

Low Earth Orbit satellites operate something like what we used to call 'cellular' phones, except that the cells are moving. What this means is that it would not take much power nor a sophisticated antenna to effect good solid VHF communication with this satellite system.

The best advice I ever heard for cruisers was "Get your electronics last." This is because technology is evolving so rapidly - and costs are coming down as well. I think this is sound advice when talking about chart plotters, GPS, wireless masthead instruments, and things of that ilk. However, when it comes to ham radio, I would start earlier so that you can get familiar with how things work. The fundamentals of voice communications haven't changed in decades.

Take your time. If you use Winlink, that's fine, but have another choice, too. For myself, I think I would use voice and forego email on long passages, and use WiFi in port to catch up. But that's how the technology is today. In the future, and possibly in the very near future, you may be able to have cheaper high bandwidth connections at sea.

73 de N7LZ
Cap'n Bri
mimoza
First Mate

Postby charles » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:23 am

My initial plan, based on current info, is to do primary communication as voice over SSB. winlink will be mostly for position reports and gribs. Weather fax will be as reception (once I figure out how) and maybe an occasional email to my wife. Wifi is available enough to handle the rest during stops. We will see as the voyage continues.....
charles
First Mate

Postby mimoza » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:52 pm

Cap'n Bri
mimoza
First Mate

Postby rick_bradshaw » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:08 am

Rick

s/v La Vita
1987 HC 33T #136
http://la-vita.us/blog/
rick_bradshaw
First Mate

Postby charles » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:03 pm

charles
First Mate