[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - HC HAMS

HC HAMS

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Postby mimoza » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:04 am

Hi Rick,
I'm not a Mac guy, but I do try to keep up with the computer world in a minimal fashion. You've been out cruising, so I don't know what is "new" for you. Forgive me if this is "old" news.

Apple switched to Intel processors for all their products. This has several implications:
-Emulation of PC apps ~should~ run faster than it used to. Whether it does or not, I don't know.
-Migration of old Mac apps to the new MacIntel platform may or may not be straightforward.
-Expected performance increases for these migrated apps may be lost due to emulation of the old instruction set.

In addition, you can - for most of Apple's products - install Windows directly onto the box and run in native mode, i.e. boot directly into Windows. I would imagine that it would be a simple matter to install Ubuntu Linux onto the same box as well.

I don't have the answers to the burning questions of whether you will now be able to run all your digital communications apps from inside the Mac OS, but it seems clear that you should be able to avoid having two separate computers for digicom and other computing provided that you don't need to use them at the same time. You would just have to reboot every time you wanted to change OS.

If you think you might get a new Mac, check out www.macworld.com - especially the forums, for a better feel of how this change can help you.
Cap'n Bri
HC 33 "Mimoza" Hull number 43
Mimoza is the name of the Admiral, a flower, and a star - the eastern arm of the Southern Cross, also called Becrux.
mimoza
First Mate

Postby rick_bradshaw » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:45 pm

Bri,

I got this Mac at Mac Mall all those years ago. Will be looking there again and I'll take a look at Macworld too. Anything off the price is a welcome event. they haven't gotten down to the level of nearly free yet but then they last for so long that it might take a few PC lifetimes to equal their longivity. :D

Yes, the new "advances" do have some good things to offer with all the other stuff that can't be used anymore due to being "out dated" even though they continue to work just fine. Sometimes progress can be a step or few backwards.

Thanks for the info.
Rick

s/v La Vita
1987 HC 33T #136
http://la-vita.us/blog/
rick_bradshaw
First Mate

Postby charles » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:52 pm

Rick,
The OSX versions used to offer a classic mode to run OS9 applications. This was available through OS 10.4 on non-intel machines. After OS 10.4 and on all Intel machines regardless, the only thing available to run OS9 apps is a third party group called Sheepshaver. To run Windows on pre-intel macs required VirtualPC (windows product) which I was never happy with because of speed. On intel based machines, you have the option of dual-boot to either OS (not my favorite) or run a virtual Windows PC. The two virtual products are Parallels and Fusion. I found Parallels to be buggy, Fusion runs very well and allows the running of Windows programs in the mac environment (really cool). If you have any more questions, feel free to contact me.

Charles
s/v Seagate 38T
Currently in Chula Vista, CA
charles
First Mate

Pacific Seafarers Net

Postby drifter » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:41 am

The Pacific Seafarers Net is on every night at 0300 GMT. You can check in and get a radio check their frequency is 14.300 USB.

There are also many nets on 14.300 daily and you could try checking into one of those.
drifter
Landlubber

Postby mimoza » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:27 am

charles,
Thanks for the enlightenment. I knew someone out there had more answers than I. As far as HAM and Marine SSB radios are concerned, most of the radio-control apps out there need to access the com ports. This is often one of the stickiest issues in cross-platform emulation. Do you happen to know whether Fusion is good on that count?
Cap'n Bri
Mimoza is the name of the Admiral, a flower, and a star - the eastern arm of the Southern Cross, also called Becrux.
mimoza
First Mate

Postby charles » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:17 pm

I have been using a Fujitsu and Macair to compare the radio usage. Fujitsu is running WinXP Pro, Macair via fusion is running Windows7. Both are going through an Icom 706 MkIIG and a SCS PTC-IIusb with pactor 3 upgrade. I have done winlink and wefax successfully on both with no problems. Next test is for GPS hookup to see if the positioning reports work (will have to use a usb hub on the Macair). Still want to test the rig on the boat with the Gam antenna I just mounted but, as it's working fine through my screwdriver at home, I think it will be fine. More to follow

Charles
sv Seagate 38T
currently Chula Vista, CA
charles
First Mate

Postby mimoza » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:24 am

Great info. Thanks. Keep it coming.

Just out of curiosity.... How nuch does that Gam antenna weigh?
Cap'n Bri
mimoza
First Mate

Postby charles » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:24 pm

Just over 7 lbs. I'll send a picture after my next trip to the boat.

Charles
sv Seagate 38T
currently Chula Vista, CA
charles
First Mate

Previous

Return to Radios and Other Electronics