[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - SSB installation

SSB installation

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Tuner location

Postby mitchk » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:43 pm

Maybe I am using the wrong name for it? When I said tuner I was refering to the automatic tuner? I am not sure what to call it but it is mounted under the insulated backstay under the helm seat, my radio is actually mounted under the starboard settee just under where you would sit while at the nav station and the radio face or tuner is mounted about where yours is at the nav station.
Mitch and Deb Karlson
SV Camino
1986 HC33T #104
Seabrook, Texas
mitchk

Postby warmrain » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:22 am

Oh Gee! Duh!

The tuner should be as close to the end of the antenna as possible. It should be in a cool dry place.

For 20 years ours has lived on the back (lazerette side) of the bulkhead that defines the foot of the aft cabin. That is as close to the base of the antenna on a HC33T that you can get w/o having the tuner exposed to water from the seal around the helm seat (even if you could find something to attach it to back there...

Does this help?
Yacht "Warmrain" 1986 HC33T #123
Built by Hansa Yacht und Schiffbau G.M.B.H. Taichung Taiwan by Herb Guttler (last Hansa hull was #131, built 1987)

Posts are my opinion based on my experience; your results may vary from mine.
warmrain

tuner location

Postby mitchk » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:00 pm

Cool ! Thats what I was wondering, I wasnt sure if that was too far away from the antenna? I guess it has been working for you for 2o years, That sounds like a very good location and I will probably move mine there unless we get some other ideas from other responses on here. Thanks
Mitch and Deb Karlson
SV Camino
1986 HC33T #104
Seabrook, Texas
mitchk

Postby warmrain » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:06 pm

We've always been reported to that we had a strong and clear signal. Be sure you got the tuner attached to the counterpoise via copper foil; that is more important than the transceiver.

Have you got your backstay insulators in yet.
Built by Hansa Yacht und Schiffbau G.M.B.H. Taichung Taiwan by Herb Guttler (last Hansa hull was #131, built 1987)

warmrain

Postby mimoza » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:47 am

There was some discussion, but no resolution, concerning tying the bonding system together with the counterpoise. It might throw some light on the subject to point out that there is more than one kind of antenna used successfully at sea (and elsewhere). A dipole antenna consists of two wires placed end to end and fed from the center position. One wire is hot and the other is, shall we say, minus hot. One is connected to the "hot" tuner connection, and the other is connected to the so called "counterpoise" connection. I say "so called" because in reality they are both hot, but are energized 180 degrees out of phase with each other. There is no couterpoise at all in this setup, and it would make no sense at all to connect the "counterpoise" to the bonding system. It would disable half of the antenna. [This setup might be used, e.g., in a schooner rig using the triatic stay as half of the dipole.]
Now consider the more common single wire radiator with ground plane. On the patrol car of your local constabulary, the wires are obvious, and the ground plane is the sheet metal of the car. The ground plane is crucial to the operation of the antenna. It performs two functions. It acts as a big capacitor for the charges flowing into and out of the wire; and it acts as a mirror for the radio waves radiating from the antenna, thereby focusing them into a horizontal direction. Alternative formats for this type of antenna have the ground plane created from radiating foil, and on a sailboat we join the foil to other planes of metal to increase the capacitance.
Seawater makes an ideal counterpoise / ground plane. If you can make a direct connection to the sea, you will have a great counterpoise. This is why Hal on Griffin has such a great signal. But while under way, I'm sure he has some other arrangement (foil, etc.) for his counterpoise. If connecting to the bonding system helps to make better contact with the sea, then it should be done.
Note that using the bonding system to create a better connection to the sea is a completely separate question from "grounding the counterpoise." Why? The bonding system is intended to operate at 0 Hz, i.e. in DC mode, whereas the counterpoise operates in high frequency (HF) AC mode. For the bonding system, it is the bond that is important. For the the counterpoise, it is the surface area (capacitance) that is important. In other words a DC ground is a completely different animal from an RF ground, which is what a counterpoise is. It's OK to tie your counterpoise to your bonding system as long as the bonding system is not tied to the main DC ground. Otherewise there is a risk of RF interference on all your electronics. If your bonding system is tied to your DC ground, I would try to figure out how to untie it and still have it be effective. I would be leery of connecting the transceiver to the counterpoise in any way. The counterpoise is for the antenna.
In certain cases you may be able to connect the counterpoise to a ground plate (not plane), but I would try this only as a last resort, and then I would have to watch out for the aforementioned RF interference.

Gordon West covers all these topics, from a slightly different angle, and many others as well on the ICOM site: http://www.icomamerica.com/downloads/ss ... chptr8.pdf
The whole book is worth reading and is available free online from ICOM.

Brian N7LZ
Cap'n Bri
HC 33 "Mimoza" Hull number 43
Mimoza is the name of the Admiral, a flower, and a star - the eastern arm of the Southern Cross, also called Becrux.
mimoza
First Mate

Postby warmrain » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:01 pm

warmrain

Icom 802 install

Postby ccam » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:14 am

Just installed my IC802.
Remote located at nav station, radio located under aft bunk and tuner located in Laz starboard side aft bulkhead of bunk. Counterpois is constructed of 23' of 4" copper strap attatching all tank lids and to bonded thru hulls in laz. If I can get the rigger off his arse I would test it. Maybe next week.
Thanks for the advice from HC vets.

Cam
Cam
s/v Sea Horse
1984 HC 33T #61
ccam
Crew

Previous

Return to Radios and Other Electronics