[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - Refrigerator access opening

Refrigerator access opening

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Refrigerator access opening

Postby Bill » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:28 pm

Hi All,

Our boat is currently in Mexico waiting for us to return at the beginning of the new year. Our current refrigeration setup is 110v and we are looking to change that out to a new Sea Frost system. When we last left the boat we were convinced that a new freezer bin (to fit inside the current refrigerator) would be 12" wide by some 12" long. I am still convinced that those are good dimensions for the interior of the refrigerator, but am not sure the box will fit through the top opening.

I would be a happy man if somebody with a HC 43' could confirm the hatch opening to the refrigerator is at least 12" X 12" (I am fairly sure it is 24" long).

Thanks for the help.
Bill and Lisa
Beyond Reason
'79 HC43 Ketch
Hull #23
www.beyondreason.us
Bill
First Mate

Location: Finished sweating out the Mexican summers and heading home to San Francisco.

Postby stormbay » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:13 am

We don't have a 43 we have a 41 but I believe the galleys are quite similar.. Our hatch opening at its narrowest points (its wider at the top of the opening but that does no good) measures 10 1/2" x 18" Maybe bigger on the 43's :?:

We also have a 110v unit with holding plates installed and are seriously considering the change to a DC unit. I would love to here how it all goes in for you guys and how your new DC unit stacks up to the old 110v.
Yu & Frank
1985 HC-41 Hull# 11
http://sv-moitessier.blogspot.com/
stormbay
Crew

Postby Bill » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:45 am

Not quite what I was hoping for, but perhaps you saved me a boat buck and the hassle of selling a nearly new Freezer bin. I have a question out to Sea Frost regarding their boxes and whether they can be disassembled and then reassembled inside the current refrigerator (kind of a ship in the bottle type of thing).

While cruising Mexico a couple of years ago we just got tired of using the generator 2 - 4 hours a day to produce cool beer and semi frozen steaks. Our install will happen in late January 2012, as that is our next departure date for another 1 - 3 year cruise of Central America and the Panama Canal.
Bill and Lisa
Beyond Reason
'79 HC43 Ketch
Hull #23
www.beyondreason.us
Bill
First Mate

Location: Finished sweating out the Mexican summers and heading home to San Francisco.

Postby mimoza » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:08 pm

I have a 33, but I have been on a friend's 43 many times, and I am confident that the hatch openings are exactly the same size.

I got a Sea Frost several years back and had no trouble getting it into the existing opening. I did have to drill a 1&1/2" hole in the bulkhead to get the fittings for the evaporator through. It was no big deal. I saved the plug and drilled a hole and a slot into it to accommodate the tubing, then used the pluf to fill the hole. I used liquid foam to re-insulate the box.
Cap'n Bri
HC 33 "Mimoza" Hull number 43
Mimoza is the name of the Admiral, a flower, and a star - the eastern arm of the Southern Cross, also called Becrux.
mimoza
First Mate

Postby Bill » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:57 pm

You didn't happen to get the Sea Frost unit with the freezer bin did you? Our current box is about 8 cu ft. Our thought this time is to install a box approx 8 l X 12 w X 15 H. Until I hear back from Sea Frost the width may need to be 10.5" w. While cruising we found that even a small spillover was enough to keep the veggies crispy for a long time and the fact that we didn't always have cold beer made the stock last longer :evil: . What we didn't like was that there was really no way to freeze anything unless it was against the holding plate. This always left us with a decision to either have ice in our gin and tonics or be able to store steak and chicken for 30 days. We ate a lot of fresh chicken.

Anyway the Freezer bins look like the way to go for us. Many of our friends have them and seem to be able to function very well and still serve frosty beer. Just curious if you choose that directions or went with plates along the wall of the 8 cu box.
Bill and Lisa
Beyond Reason
'79 HC43 Ketch
Hull #23
www.beyondreason.us
Bill
First Mate

Postby mimoza » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:56 pm

None of the above. I jumped the gun slightly. What we got back then was not Sea Frost, but Sea Freeze - an understandable error on my part. At that time we replaced our aging Adler Barbour, and it was pretty much a direct replacement for that unit.

Sea Frost seems to be better versed in cold plate technology. If I had it to do over, I would probably go with them.

So, you have only hatch access? No opening door?
Cap'n Bri
Mimoza is the name of the Admiral, a flower, and a star - the eastern arm of the Southern Cross, also called Becrux.
mimoza
First Mate

Postby Bill » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:48 pm

Shhhh! Yes only hatch access. It is really a stain for the Queen of the Barge to gain access to the bottom of the refrigerator. She has asked for doors now going on 7 years. For today we will stick with the hatch access if the rest of HCOA stays hushed. When we are done with getting the boat back together in January we can start the discussion of an access door again.
Bill and Lisa
Beyond Reason
'79 HC43 Ketch
Hull #23
www.beyondreason.us
Bill
First Mate

Postby mimoza » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:48 pm

My lips are sealed.
Cap'n Bri
mimoza
First Mate

Postby Bill » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:12 am

Hey Brian,

If you could measure the inside of your frig from inside wall to inside wall it would be great to have that actual dimension. I believe it will be close to 14".

Thanks
Bill and Lisa
Beyond Reason
'79 HC43 Ketch
Hull #23
www.beyondreason.us
Bill
First Mate

Postby Bill » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:28 pm

Realizing now that Brian has a 33 and not a 43, I was hoping someone could give me the rough inside measurements of the refrigerator on a 43T. What I really need is just the fore and aft measurements.

Unfortunately we are in California and the boat is in Mexico. We would like to purchase a new cooling unit prior to our trip down in January.

Thanks.
Bill and Lisa
Beyond Reason
'79 HC43 Ketch
Hull #23
www.beyondreason.us
Bill
First Mate

Postby straban » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:16 am

Bill, the opening is just over 10 inches wide and 21 inches long on Straban, hull number 15 of the 43 line. Just a few hulls before yours. Hope that helps.

dave
HC 43 Ketch "Straban" 1979 #15
straban
Landlubber

Postby Bill » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:38 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks so much for the confirmation. The opening size is going to create an issue for us so we have decided to use 2 plates instead of a single freezer box. Unfortunately that mean we need to have the inside dimension from the forward side of the refrigerator to the after side. I believe this is a couple of inches larger on each side than the opening. If it is not a problem could you provide that as well.

Isotherm ships their plates with pre-coiled and connected tubing which requires us to have the rough measurement between two walls that the plates will be attached to.

Bill
Bill and Lisa
Beyond Reason
'79 HC43 Ketch
Hull #23
www.beyondreason.us
Bill
First Mate

Postby mimoza » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:08 am

Sorry I missed your earlier post, Bill. I was probably crushing grapes or pressing out the wine. I would have pointed out the size difference a little sooner.
Cap'n Bri
mimoza
First Mate

Postby Bill » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:20 am

Hey Brian, No trouble.

In the grand scheme of things I myself would put crushing grapes ahead of commenting on HCOA posts and I don't even grow grapes, but am a big fan of their fermented product.

I feel like I am groveling here a bit trying to get this single inside dimension. I know we have a lot of 43' on the board. Lisa and I are headed back out cruising at the end of next month and are just trying to button up the last of the equipment we need from the states before heading back down to mainland Mexico. If you know anyone with a 43' that is on the board, please give them a nudge in my direction.

I will order the frig with or without confirmation as we can alway make minor adjustments later but would it would be nice to have some peace of mind before dropping 2k on the unit.
Bill and Lisa
Beyond Reason
'79 HC43 Ketch
Hull #23
www.beyondreason.us
Bill
First Mate

Postby straban » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:14 am

Bill, sorry for not getting back to you sooner ... the dimention you are looking for is 13.5 inches. Hope that works for your new plates.

dave
HC 43 Ketch "Straban" 1979 #15
straban
Landlubber

Next

Return to The Galley , Saloon, Air Conditioning & Cabin Heaters