[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - Fridge wont start up help no cold Beer !

Fridge wont start up help no cold Beer !

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Fridge wont start up help no cold Beer !

Postby floatingtom » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:44 pm

Hi
I have an Adler barbour fridge

air cooled
this is run by a Danfoss BD35f compressor

I have thrown away the fault finding board as that packed up 5 yrs ago but has run fine untill last night on thermostat &
I think the Compressor control unit danfoss
has packed up

is there any way to check compressor still works
without another control unit

I Have put power straight too it and it jumps a bit but I believe the unit is AC.
Have checked 3 pins on compressor & they all read 2.4 ohmes across them

any advice welcome
it seems a control unit is £200

& a whole new compressor etc is £300 (cheating bastards)

so just wondering if any of you have solved a similar problem before
without changing the whole lot??

thanks

:wink:
SV Emma 1977 HC38T from London
floatingtom
Cabinboy

Postby mimoza » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:33 pm

The Danfoss BD35f is a DC unit.
If your pricing is through a local distributor, they will take advantage of you. Probably better to order through stateside or other first world distributor.

Useful links:
http://www.danfoss.com/BusinessAreas/Re ... Series.htm
http://isotherm-parts.com/PDF/service_n ... ooting.pdf
http://www.rparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=512
http://www.seafreezeinc.com/marine_refrigerators.shtml

The last link (SeaFreeze) doesn't show a direct replacement for your Adler Barbour, but they definitely have them on hand. They did one for me a few years back. It replaced the compressor/controller modules and the evaporator. I had tr drill out a 1.5" hole to put the fittings through the back of the box, and then fill and insulate the hole; but it was otherwise a simple replacement.

Good luck.
Cap'n Bri
HC 33 "Mimoza" Hull number 43
Mimoza is the name of the Admiral, a flower, and a star - the eastern arm of the Southern Cross, also called Becrux.
mimoza
First Mate

Postby floatingtom » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:32 pm

thank you sir helpfull as always.............
35 is 3 phase AC 36 volt ( DANFOSS MADE IN GERMANY) BEEN ON TO COMPANY
4 pin ones were dc
have decided to buy whole new system
british saying
YOU CAN'T POLISH A TURD!
cold beer resumed within 10 days hopefully
cool box till then
xxx
p.s very suprising 99% of boaters think these systems are DC
expert said i can replace control for 200 euros
but whole system is £450
said i can replace condensor £295
but evaporator will still need gas
120 euros
so
bight the bullet i guess an get charged condensor & evaporator an self install...........
SV Emma 1977 HC38T from London
floatingtom
Cabinboy

Postby mimoza » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:25 am

Great saying!

You're right. BD units come in several flavors and the 35f is AC/DC. Most of us have the DC option only.

The controller takes all those various voltages available and rectifies it to the compressor. If it were me I wouldn't try to debug the problem by bypassing the controller. You could fry the compressor.
If you aren't getting chill on either AC or DC, it could be the controller, the compressor, or you just need refrigerant. But if you need refrigerant, then you'll prbably need it again pretty soon. So I would lean towards replacing the lot. But I sympathize with the exense. Still... a man has got to have his beer.
Cap'n Bri
HC 33 "Mimoza" Hull number 43
Mimoza is the name of the Admiral, a flower, and a star - the eastern arm of the Southern Cross, also called Becrux.
mimoza
First Mate

Return to The Galley , Saloon, Air Conditioning & Cabin Heaters