Sink Drainage in Galley

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Sink Drainage in Galley

Postby sedna38t » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:12 am

Our newly purchased 38T has a macerator pump attached to drain all the grey water from the galley sink. It is very loud and requires a ton of electricity. Does anyone have any other options built into their plumping that work well?? Looking for other cruising options...
sedna38t
Landlubber

Re: Sink Drainage in Galley

Postby clonjers » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:44 pm

No answer to your question, but I have one. Does it go into a gray water tank or overboard?
clonjers
First Mate

Postby scleary » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:45 am

Hello,

Maybe consider a Y valve that could bypass when you don't want to use it, or leverage it when you do (like when food parts go down the drain). Great to have a garbage disposal onboard. Most sinks just go directly overboard from what i've seen, only toilet waste goes into a tank generally speaking.

For noise, you could build a small insulated box to enclose it. If you decide you just don't want it, just remove it and replace it with hose (i'd run a new hose all the way rather than splicing a piece in). If it is in good shape, keep it as a spare for the toilet overboard (assuming you have a macerator there)

Congratulations and enjoy!!
Steve
scleary
Crew

Postby jonathan38 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:08 pm

I have a 38mark II that has no pump, I seem to get about a 0.5 cm level that wont drain while level, if sailing it seems to empty on both tacks, perhaps by venturi effect? Do you need the pump?
jonathan38
Cabinboy

Postby Bill » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:10 pm

Jonathan,

Unless your sink bottom is actually below the waterline (ours sits about 1 in above), a bit of water from your saltwater pump into the sink when you are either done your dishes or have rinsed something with fresh water will typically push the level back down to where it belongs, salt water being heavier than fresh.

Works on the 43'.
Bill and Lisa
Beyond Reason
'79 HC43 Ketch
Hull #23
www.beyondreason.us
Bill
First Mate

Location: Finished sweating out the Mexican summers and heading home to San Francisco.

Return to The Galley , Saloon, Air Conditioning & Cabin Heaters