Buying a 48T

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Buying a 48T

Postby hollos02 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:08 pm

I've been reading the excellent information available on the forums here for some time as my wife and I have been looking for a Hans Christian for some long term cruising. After looking at 41's, 43's and a 48 we've now got an option on the 48, 'Fair Isle' in Holland. Does anyone out there know any history of this boat?
Thanks to this site I'm well aware of the things to look out for when buying these boats, but with the relative rarity of the 48 and therefore less information about it, I wonder if I'm missing anything specific to this boat. She's a 2001 ship, looks like she's got a glass bow spit and GRP tanks so maybe free of the common problems there, unless there's other pitfalls specific to this set up?
It looks like the deck is fastened from above, there's some wear in the decks, scalloping up towards the sealant that's all sitting a few mm's proud. I'd be reluctant to sand it, but that's what it looks like it needs.
It looks like she's been well appointed from new, hydraulic steering, bow thruster and windlass, aqaudrive, Blake heads etc. Unfortunately the previous owner died over a year ago and the boat has been mothballed since then. Because of this it's difficult to get details of her build but it's a testament to the previous owners upkeep that she's doing so well after being sat in the water for a year.
If any of you experts out there have advice on on set up of this boat or information on her history, or specifics on a boat of this size and vintage I would love to hear from you.
Steve
PS I haven't had her lifted yet, but the specs say her hull has ' first layers vinylester' I'm assuming this is from new? I've heard very good things about vinylester, does anyone have first hand knowledge?
hollos02
Cabinboy

Re: Buying a 48T

Postby hollos02 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:09 pm

Replying to my own post here!
Boat now bought and getting on with the little jobs that are always needed, is there a help group for addiction to polishing? and the few more urgent jobs brought up by the surveyor.
Not surprised that there wasn't any response to the history of the boat as the previous owner had her from new. All seems in really good order, hull was perfect, the odd slightly loose plank on toe rail edge of the deck but no sign of water in the core.
Didn't have a rigger go over the boat but the very experienced surveyors view was the chainplates and standing rigging looked perfect and he wouldnt advise changing them just because they are 15 years old. Advice I'll probably take until my bank balance recovers a bit!
Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hollos02
Cabinboy

Postby clonjers » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:15 pm

You have a beautiful boat.

Wish you good sailing on her.
clonjers
First Mate

Postby chrisray12 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:05 am

I think every HC owner is drooling a little at your boat. Congrats. She is beautiful...
chrisray12
Crew

Postby vinnyleduc » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:43 pm

Hi hollos02,

The world is small when sharing a common dream - we were in Holland looking at HC 41 & 43 last August likely at the time you were writing you post on buying a 48T. The broker at one of the HC41 we viewed had Fair Isle on his bulletin sales board in his office - indicating that the layout was the sought after feature... I hope for not too much office work onboard.
This is the very first time I respond to any forum of this type. I too have been mining this site for all its excellent information and dialogue regarding HC's. We have been looking at HC's for almost a year now and still looking. We put an offer on one of the HC41's - but too late... hesitated on the vessel's size for full time retirement liveaboards.
In any case you certainly have a beautiful vessel and congratulations to you both. Love that green.
vinnyleduc
Landlubber

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:32 am

Hi Vinnyleduc, good luck with your continued search. You must have looked around Pelican, the 41T in Katwould? which is in the marina we are based in. I think she's still for sale. We had a brief tour around her when we were looking, a very nice boat, but there was a smell of burnt GRP on board as they'd had a fire some time ago.
What I would say to you is buying in Holland is GREAT! I'm sure there are good brokers in the U.K. but I have to say we didn't meet them while we were looking! Apart from the exchange rate absolutely crucifying us, buying straight after Brexit, the system here in Holland is really laid back and dealing with Dutch brokers was a pleasure.

My other observation for what it's worth (with only a few months of HC ownership) is if your looking at a more recent HC, built in Thailand, don't be too worried about some of the horror stories you read on here.
I don't want to jinx things! & obviously I haven't owned the boat long enough to really know how well she's built, but initial findings after the survey and much fiddling around are very positive. Certainly no sign of bad quality stainless or wiring etc. In fact quite the opposite so maybe they not unreasonably addressed some of the issues that earlier boats had?

Good luck and keep us all informed of your search, Steve

Postby vinnyleduc » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:56 pm

Hi Steve,

Yes, we did view the Pelican and apart from the smokey smell it seemed like too much of a full time project boat for us. The other 41T was in "Bristol" condition but hesitated on an offer due to its size. Our initial target is for a HC43T. And yes Holland is Great - the brokers we meet viewing vessels (3) last summer were very accommodating - quite a boating culture. Too bad we did not find THE vessel for now.

We have now extended our search - out to Turkey - we will be viewing a vessel: 1992 HC48T at the end of next week firstly to size it up to make sure 48 is not too much for us and to get a live sense of the vessel as all the pictures never fully convey the actual condition/reality.

If anyone out there has any information on this vessel - initially named COTTON and now KISMET - hull # 22 - it would be much appreciated. I hope that this vessel of 1992 vintage has most of the major items listed in this forum: grade of stainless steel, chainplate design and installation, electrical system... just to name a few, have been addressed by the builder so that this vessel does not become considered as a "project" boat - just the expected/continued maintenance. COTTON/KISMET started on the MED - was crossed over to the USA for some time and again returned to the MED.

We intend to move onboard KISMET as full time liveaboards (this will be our home...) and adopt that live style for the first stage of our retirement - cruising along the coast in the MED, eventually cross over to the Americas and continue the same on that side and maybe further to the another far side - always following the horizon.

Thanks all
vinnyleduc
Landlubber

Postby hollos02 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:21 pm

Good luck in Turkey, feel free to ask if there's anything I might be able to help with, can't claim to be an expert but sometimes just comparing builds can be helpful.
We also went through the questions of size / liveability/ handleability for a couple, we are living aboard also, and came to the conclusion the 48 was the best fit. You're welcome to come and sail Fair Isle if you need more time to work out if a 48 is the right size for you. It'll have to be in the spring however as the Markermeer is now at its low winter level so our 2 meter draft means we're sitting on the bottom until the Dutch bring the water level up in the spring.
Let us know how it goes,
Steve
hollos02
Cabinboy

Postby vinnyleduc » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:51 am

Steve,
Thank you for the kind and generous invitation - just opened up the HCOA site for any updated... so living aboard - are you doing this also through the Dutch winter... if all goes well with KISMET we will become full time liveaboards in the fall of next year only and would plan to pass the winter on the MED... some say that is a bit on the cold side. We will be having our initial viewing of the vessel this coming weekend and will keep you guys posted - may have questions...
vinnyleduc
Landlubber

Postby hollos02 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:07 am

Well I'm sure Turkey is a good place to be for the winter, Hollands not the warmest in November and some years you get completely frozen in apparently! (fresh water) So we'll be heading for warmer climes in the spring.
The HC seems to cope well with cold though. We have a Webasto hot air heating system with outlets in every cabin. This, along with the way all the HC lockers have louvred doors and the very good insulation on the hull, seems to keep condensation at bay which is always the uncomfortable thing about being on board in the winter.
We will have to leave the boat for 2 or 3 weeks at at time though for work, so if anyone has tips on leaving the boat in these sorts of conditions I'ld be interested. I've just bought a couple of oil filled heater tubes that I'll lay under the sole and in the engine bay. Obviously everything that can have antifreeze has it, but when they commission boats to be left for the whole winter out here they drain and insulate everything, so i'm slightly nervous of missing something.

Steve
hollos02
Cabinboy

Postby hollos02 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:40 pm

Hi Vinny, just wondering what your thoughts were on the 48 in Turkey. I know you said you were slightly worried about living aboard during cold spells in the Med.
Well if you look at the attached pictures you can see we are now frozen in place in Holland and the boat is warm and dry at all times. I don't think there are many other boats i'd be happy to be aboard in these conditions, lets just hope I'm not cursing the fact i didn't go for a plastic fantastic Beneteau, or the like, with their huge cockpits for lounging around in come the summer... don't think i will be somehow!

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hollos02
Cabinboy

Postby vinnyleduc » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:00 pm

Hi Steve, Nice to hear from you. Our trip to Turkey was somewhat disappointing as the layout was not as indicated plus some project issues which we did not want to tackle... We are still on the hunt for a HC41,43 or 48T. Great pics - the ice around the vessel is so clear... In some areas on the Great Lakes - have heard that boat owner wintering on their vessels in the water install bubblers around the hull to avoid direct ice pressure on the hull... I would guess the the ice there in Canada is much thicker than in Holland. I hope your heating strategies for during your times away from the Fair Isle is proving satisfactory. Keep me posted.

Vinny
vinnyleduc
Landlubber

Postby rangerover » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:19 pm

Congrats. beautiful boat.
I've been off the site for a while, so forgive my belated acknowledgement.

Look forward to watching you clean her up and add your touches.
Brandon
HC33T #14, SV Bella
Atlanta/Savannah, GA
rangerover
Crew

Postby vinnyleduc » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:32 am

Dear HC Owners,

We are at it again - looking to buy a HC48 as our retirement home. On the table is KISMET the HC48 mentioned in my previous posts on this subject. The vessel is now listed with another broker at a more attractive price making such that the "projects" we said we would not entertain - regarding the layout of the owner's aft cabin in particular - don't seem problematic - partly due to our revised timeline to retirement... Got to get there soon.

Once again I'm asking the community if anyone knows of this vessel... If anyone out there has any information on this vessel - initially named COTTON and now KISMET - hull # 22 - it would be much appreciated. I hope that this vessel of 1992 vintage has most of the major items listed in this forum: grade of stainless steel, chainplate design and installation, electrical system... just to name a few, have been addressed by the builder so that this vessel does not become considered as a "project" boat - just the expected/continued maintenance. COTTON/KISMET started on the MED - was crossed over to the USA for some time and again returned to the MED.

We intend to move onboard KISMET as full time liveaboards (this will be our home...) and adopt that live style for the first stage of our retirement - cruising along the coast in the MED, eventually cross over to the Americas and continue the same on that side and maybe further to the another far side - always following the horizon.

We have surveys/sea trials coordinated for mid Oct. and moving forwards with successful inspections would purchase in mid Nov. KISMET would be refitted in Turkey where the vessel presently sits and be ready for the move aboard in mid April/May 2018... moving West from there at the retired pace.

Looking forwards hearing from someone who may have some information on the vessel and any cautionary notes on the 1992 vintage of the HC48.

Thanks
vinnyleduc
Landlubber

Return to General Stuff