Genoa track removal

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Genoa track removal

Postby jonathan38 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:57 pm

I am in the process of sanding back and applying Awlwood to my very weathered bulwark and cap rail. I have just removed the port genoa track, my boat is a HC38 and interestingly the track is held in place by a 1/3 bolts to captive nut and 2/3 screws combination. The screws where easy to get out, some of the bolts required an impact driver.

Below the track is a thin teak spacer. I will post some photos up over the next week. I have heard that some have a metal plate under the cap rail, I am pretty sure that mine does not.

I am going to Awlwood the spacer then bed it onto the rail with some Sika once the job is complete, will take a bit as I am sanding back to primer on the deck as the paint job is in very poor condition.
jonathan38
Cabinboy

Re: Genoa track removal

Postby olywadan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:57 pm

We just did the same. When we took the screws out of the track some just lifted right out. Afraid of what that might lead to. What did you figure out? Did it work?
olywadan
Landlubber

Re: Genoa track removal

Postby jonathan38 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:20 pm

None of mine just lifted out, some where bolts some where screws, I had to cut 3 off after lifting about 8mm, I then repaired / uroxsysed the rail and put the track back on offset about 45mm aft. I used screws but put some epoxy deep in. Its never coming off again. I am not going to touch the starboard one, given how solid the port was. I will just work around it
jonathan38
Cabinboy

Return to General Stuff