[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - Encapsulated ballast

Encapsulated ballast

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Encapsulated ballast

Postby npbrown » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:00 pm

Does anyone know what the ballast is on the Hans Christian 38 and how the ballast was put into the keels of these boats? I have heard that they are lead but I am not so sure. Last fall we hauled the boat and there was dripping from the keel for weeks. I finally decided to investigate and ended up drilling a few small holes which released 2 or 3 gallons of seawater from a void in the keel between the bilge and the ballast section. I injected compressed air and saw that the holes, a couple of feet apart were connected via this supposed void. I went a little further forward and drilled another hole which hit metal. I tested the shavings from the drill bit with a magnet and they are iron. I am wondering whether the lead is poured into an iron tray or is the whole ballast iron?
My plan is to dry up the keel around the area and seal with epoxy.

Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks
Nick
Owner of HC 38T, 1976 currently on the hard undergoing refit in Maine
npbrown
Crew

Re: Encapsulated ballast

Postby clonjers » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:33 pm

Ehen we bought our HC34 (1978) we had the option of buying a lead keel for about $2,000.00 (I think). Ours was iron.Never had an issue like you described.
clonjers
First Mate

Postby SV_Pegasus » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:35 am

The ballast in the HC33 is composed of glassed-in iron ingots - 6000 pounds worth.
Sam Thayer
S/V Pegasus
HC33 #29

"I can teach you how to sail; I cannot teach you why."
SV_Pegasus
First Mate

Postby lonesome_boatman » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:48 pm

Hi Nick
Was the seawater rust coloured?
Later Thailand built boats used mild steel scrap, plugs actually from punched holes in structural steel. Pantanawee marine had a good supply of these plugs and various other small off-cuts for ballast during my visits. My understanding was that the scrap was placed in the keel space and then encapsulted in resin to the level of the tanks. Makes sense and I expect that Respite would have similar ballast. Voids of course would be possible depending on how carefully the scrap was placed into the keel space. But you would expect the liquid resin to fill the voids and exclude water. Due to the volume available in the keel space I think scrap mild steel is adequate and the extra cost of lead was not probably not worth it. Never heard of a HC being under ballasted. I guess the only concern with mild steel scrap ballast is if it starts to corode and expands it may cause cracking in the GRP hull layup.
Mick
SV Respite 1983 HC33T # 52
Queensland Australia.
"Men who cannot enter into the mind of the sea, cannot for the same reason enter into the mind of ships."
lonesome_boatman
First Mate

Return to General Stuff