New sails

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

New sails

Postby andyv94 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:38 am

So it’s time for a new set of sails for my boat. I’ve been looking around to see who the best company to deal with. Boat is in the Caribe, you would think that there would be lots of sail makers. So far I haven’t been able to get a good handle on a good local sail maker.

I even looked at the Port Townsend sail maker in Washington but holly he’ll they are expensive!!!!!!

Can anybody tell me where or who has made your new sails?!
Andy & Kristy
S/V Gitana
HC33T #28
andyv94
First Mate

Re: New sails

Postby mojo » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:30 am

I used Precision Sails for a new main last year. Very easy to work with, I sent the measurements while at sea, and they sent the sail to Australia (where I was heading / passing through). It was a good fit and reasonably well build (but not Port Townsend quality). I got a quote from Rolly Tasker Sails too, but their lead time was to long and I needed it ASAP. Fellow cruisers spoke very highly of them. Both quotes (including shipping) were just under half the cost of a local North Sails loft in New Zealand and Australia.
Sven & Ondene
s/v Mojo
1986 HC33 #117
mojo
Landlubber

Postby tjoshea » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:58 pm

I bought all Lee Sails at the Portland Oregon boat show one year. Got everything for a fair price, except a spinnaker. later found a brand new spinnaker made by Carol Hasse for cheap. Easy to find. I was told all sail cloth comes from the NE USA, and is shipped different places to be sewn.

I sailed the boat from Portland to San Diego in 35 knot winds gusting to 45 with the main triple reefed and the stay up. We went straight down non-stop and after 3 days straight of that blow we shook out the reefs and went around Pt Conception CA without issue. The sails held up find, no-chaffe after 4 years, and I sail almost every weekend here in CA.

Terry
svcarolmarie.com
tjoshea
Landlubber

Postby andyv94 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:39 pm

I received a quote from the Portland sail maker.......roughly $24k for a set of sails!! Main, staysail and 110% job :shock:

As much as I love the quality of their sails, I’m not sure I can justify spending that amount on a set of sails!

I ain’t rich :roll:
Andy & Kristy
S/V Gitana
HC33T #28
andyv94
First Mate

Postby chrisray12 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:25 pm

A dirty little secret is most large sailmakers do the fitting and sizing and order the sail from China Sail Factory and then add thier 50% plus markup. I friend who worked at the Doyle Factory told me about 80% of their sails come from China and they only do highly specialized race sails her domestically I would get quotes directly with other Chinese manufacturers, FarEast, Loong, HongKong are a few. When I was pricing for our boat, they were pennies compared to what Hasse and a few other local sailmakers wanted.
chrisray12
Crew

Postby andyv94 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:23 am

Yes this is true for most companies except the small sailshops like Portland. Everything is done in-house
Andy & Kristy
S/V Gitana
HC33T #28
andyv94
First Mate

Return to General Stuff