[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - Freshwater tank

Freshwater tank

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Freshwater tank

Postby sv pacific pearl » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:40 pm

Hello All,

I have my first serious (of probably many) problems and was hoping someone might be able to help.

On filling my freshwater tank the other day I noticed it was taking ages to top off. I checked the bilges and sure enough they were full of lovely clean fresh water. On closer inspection, it looks as though the port side of my freshwater tank has ruptured. The tank top looks as though it would extremely hard to remove. It is situated under the galley bench - the section of bench that is situated in front of the compainionway stairs.The tank top looks stainless so I am assuming the tank is also stainless.

From what I can ascertain, it looks as though I will have to remove the bench to get to the tank top. Extreme. Dooes the bench remove easily. It looks to me as though it has been built in for life.

Does anyone have any advice on this?

My boat is a 87 48T Ketch.

Thanks
sv pacific pearl
Crew

Postby mimoza » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:59 am

Hi,

I don't have a 48, so take this with a drop of seawater:

The tanks on my 33 have SS tops for inspection and cleaning, but the tanks themselves are FRP. If the rupture is in SS, then you might be able to get the tank welded. SS is not easy to weld. You would want a real pro to do this with the appropriate Argon gas to exclude any oxidation. Don't trust some yahoo with an acetylene torch.

If however, the rupture is in Fiberglas, you may be able to repair it yourself, although I wouldn't be in a hurry to drink from that tank until long after the resin has set up. I'm no expert in FRP/GRP repair, so someone else would have to guide you in that department- but the first thing you want to do is determine the nature of the material which has ruptured. You'll have to yank the top off. I only hope for your sake that there are SS bolts securing it in place.

Best of luck.
Cap'n Bri
HC 33 "Mimoza" Hull number 43
Mimoza is the name of the Admiral, a flower, and a star - the eastern arm of the Southern Cross, also called Becrux.
mimoza
First Mate

Postby mimoza » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:04 am

Forgot to say:

Welcome aboard!! I hope the Pacific Pearl lives up to your dreams. A tank or some wiring or brightwork will always be a hassle, but she should be one great boat for you.
Cap'n Bri
HC 33 "Mimoza" Hull number 43
Mimoza is the name of the Admiral, a flower, and a star - the eastern arm of the Southern Cross, also called Becrux.
mimoza
First Mate

Postby mike » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:37 am

200 ton Master
Past Owner Jolly Swagman - HC 43t Cutter Hull# 110 1987
http://www.eskside.co.uk/william_riley/mike_coates.htm
mike
Captain

Postby sv pacific pearl » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:49 am

sv pacific pearl
Crew

Postby sv pacific pearl » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:51 am