[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - HC 33T solar panel installation

HC 33T solar panel installation

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

HC 33T solar panel installation

Postby rick_bradshaw » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:11 am

We're about ready to order a couple of solar panels for installation on our boat. I was thinking of making the aftmost lifeline a solid tube that I could mount solar panels on (1 per side). The forward rake to keep the angle of the existing lifelines means that they will be less efficient a good deal of the time. That's not too acceptable.

I've thought about mounting them about midships and replacing that section of lifeline and using anything from bungee cords to metal bracing to adjust the angle of the panel. That would put it well away from the battery meaning loss of power over distance. I've even thought about those ratchet sort of metal rail mounts set up in combinations from different directions that would change direction both up and down and forward and aft, but these seem like they would be relatively weak. I'd previously tossed out the idea of an arch over the stern and don't want to revisit that.

I'm about nuts as it is so I need a few ideas that I haven't come up with or confirmation that something that I have come up with will work and work well. Where have you mounted your solar panels and how?

Thanks.
Rick

s/v La Vita
1987 HC 33T #136
http://la-vita.us/blog/
rick_bradshaw
First Mate

Postby warmrain » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:26 am

I've seen them on top of the dodger mounted on rail extensions or just flat flex panels tied there. Of course the boom has to be out of the way. I've thought of just storing the flex panels under a materess or settee and placing them on the fordeck. I've seen them affixed to solid railings aft, as you describe. This was on a ketch and a small flag halyard was used to adjust their angle.
Last edited by warmrain on Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yacht "Warmrain" 1986 HC33T #123
Built by Hansa Yacht und Schiffbau G.M.B.H. Taichung Taiwan by Herb Guttler (last Hansa hull was #131, built 1987)

Posts are my opinion based on my experience; your results may vary from mine.
warmrain

Solar Panels

Postby doug_hart » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:07 am

I have 2 x 80 amp panels on top of my biminion my 38mk2......they work great, are out of the way, and I can't fall into or onto them .

Doug

Zingara II
doug_hart
First Mate

Postby mike » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:36 pm

Rick,

We had ours on a frame above the dodger, the 2 horizontal tubes fitted on the back edge of the boom gallows with the legs coming down each side of the dodger.

I'm currently looking at one of the types that isn't affected by partial shading & is also flexible & intend mounting it on top of the sliding hatch garage (turtle Back for the USA).

Mike
mike
Captain

Solar Panels

Postby moon_shadow » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:19 pm

moon_shadow
Cabinboy

Solar panels

Postby doug_hart » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:02 am

I'll try and take some at the weekend for you. I made the frame out of square section aluminium and bolted it to the top of the bimini.

Doug Hart
Zingara II
doug_hart
First Mate

Postby mike » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:27 pm

Glen,

Have a look at the pics, you will see our solar panels set above the spray dodger on a gantry, the front was fprmed by the boom gallows.

mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mike
Captain

Postby warmrain » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:33 pm

We are just getting into this project on Warmrain. We can fit 2 65 watt panels on top of the dodger. The plane is to weld 4 short vertical pipes (2 forward, 2 aft) on the athwartship frame rails. These will protrude through the dodger and a frame for the panels will slip onto them, held by set screws. The frame will be a few inches above the dodger and allow for tilting the panels somewhat.
Built by Hansa Yacht und Schiffbau G.M.B.H. Taichung Taiwan by Herb Guttler (last Hansa hull was #131, built 1987)

warmrain

Solar Panel Mounts

Postby moon_shadow » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:54 am

moon_shadow
Cabinboy

Postby dino » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:41 pm

Dino & Cathy Bortolin
s/v Delphinius
'79 HC43 Ketch #28
dino
Crew

Postby warmrain » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:54 pm

I think I heard Mike say:

"I meant to do that... 8)

Certainly when I did it, I was sure to get out at the bottom of the tide and start wiping down the keel... :wink:

warmrain

Return to Windvanes, Solar Panels, Alternative Enerrgy