[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - Cape Horn Windvane

Cape Horn Windvane

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Cape Horn Windvane

Postby mitchk » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:42 pm

mitchk

Postby sv_bruadair » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:49 pm

Hi Mitch,

I can't remember if it was a 33 or 38, but there was some discussion here before about the cape horn. If I remember correctly there were also some pictures. See if you can do a search on the old message board. When (if) we get to the point of needing a windvane for a long passage (like to the south pacific) we'll probably go with the Cape Horn as well. Heard a lot of good things about them and I like the way their installed. Oh, check the cape horn web site too, I think they have some good installation pictures as well.

damon
sv_bruadair
First Mate

Cape Horn Install - - -

Postby johnrobinson » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:23 pm

There are some good installation pictures on the Cape Horn web site although not of a 33 . . . I've installed one on a 43 and would be glad to forward my pictures if your interested . . . send me an e-mail address . . .John Robinson, s/v Crossings
johnrobinson
Crew

Postby lonesome_boatman » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:56 pm

Mitchk
I removed the Cape Horn assembly yesterday, it has a lot more damage than I expected. It is still functional though which says a good deal for the engineering. I can only figure out how to attach one image, PM me and I will send through more images if you want.

HC33 # 52
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lonesome_boatman
First Mate

Postby johnrobinson » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:59 am

Mitch; two pictures of the Cape Horn . . on the interior you can see how easy it was to install since the 43 has a stringer that I was able to attach to. Exterior shows how clean it is . . . yes my wife has her hand on the wheel . . we'd just had to do some steering to get into position for the picture . . . regards, John Robinson, Crossings 43T, Seattle
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnrobinson
Crew

Windvanes

Postby mitchk » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:50 am

Thanks for the pics everyone, Great Pics!! they really clear up the questions I had about installation inside the bvoat. I really like the Cape Horn and the clean apearence of it, one of the nice things in no lines to the wheel in the cockpit! The Hydrovane is even easier to install than the Cape Horn, no drilling through the stern and there are no lines at all, none on the steering quadrant or in the cockpit. However I belive the CApe Horn still looks better. So I am still torn between the two? A lot of CApe Horn owners that are happy with them but cannot seem to find any Hydrovane owners to get comments from!
Mitch and Deb Karlson
SV Camino
1986 HC33T #104
Seabrook, Texas
mitchk

Postby nudibranch » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:59 am

Mitch,

I actually installed the Cape Horn in the pic from Lonesome Boatman, I was the PO. Its not the same steering quadrant, that one got shattered in Katrina. It was a pretty easy install job and the guys at Cape Horn are very glad to answer questions. I own another 33T now and may install one on it some day. I never got to really put the first one thru rough weather but was satisfied when I did use it.
S/V Ro'annon
HC33T
nudibranch
Cabinboy

Postby apropos43 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:04 pm

John, in your setup, I'm trying to follow the lines from the self steering mechanism to the quadrant. It looks like there are two lines that run vertical. Where do these go? Also, what type of line or cable did you use?

Thanks!
Jim
SV Apropos
'82 HC43 Ketch #64
apropos43
Crew

Postby johnrobinson » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:31 pm

Jim; verticle lines are the control lines which come through the cockpit combing just behind the helm seat and cleat through two jam cleats. Cleating them down engages the Cape Horn. THey do not attach to the steering wheel. I used low streach spectra line.

Regards, John Robinson, s/v Crossings, 43T
johnrobinson
Crew

Postby mike » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:21 pm

200 ton Master
Past Owner Jolly Swagman - HC 43t Cutter Hull# 110 1987
http://www.eskside.co.uk/william_riley/mike_coates.htm
mike
Captain

Postby johnrobinson » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:01 pm

johnrobinson
Crew