[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - Wind generators

Wind generators

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Wind generators

Postby rick_bradshaw » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:57 pm

I've prettty well decided to get the Air-X wind generator. Apparently, they used to be [b]very[/bl noisy. Now, with a "new generation" they are said to be almost impossible to hear. However, before I plunk down the cash, thought I'd post here to see if anyone here has any experience with them, especially the "new generation." If there is any other recommended wind generator, I would be inteested in that info too.

Thanks.
Rick

s/v La Vita
1987 HC 33T #136
http://la-vita.us/blog/
rick_bradshaw
First Mate

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:15 pm

Postby rick_bradshaw » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:18 pm

Rick

s/v La Vita
1987 HC 33T #136
rick_bradshaw
First Mate

Postby rick_bradshaw » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:46 am

Anybody out there with an HC 33T that has installed a wind generator? If so, I would like to know where you have installed the pole. I'm nearly ready to install and would like to know if you had any problems in placement either in location or other problems you had to overcome.

Thanks.
Rick

s/v La Vita
1987 HC 33T #136
rick_bradshaw
First Mate

Postby sv_bruadair » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:27 am

Hi Rick,

David and I have been cruising aboard Bruadair, our HC33, for two years now. I hope some of the information I can share will help. The new Air-X units, which are supposed to be 'much' quieter really are not. We've met many cruisers out here in the Caribbean that have been disappointed with the noise. In fact we have a regular neighbor that we visit that will turn his unit off so we can enjoy talking in the cockpit.

The unit we have aboard Bruadair is the Fourwinds II, and have been very pleased with it. You almost don't know it's spinning until the winds reach 25 knots plus, and even then it's much quieter than an Air-X when it's turning at 15 knots. I've installed quite a few Fourwinds II units as well as many KISS units. Both are great and provide some of the best output, but they are larger units with a span of 60".

As far as installation goes, the KISS is a much easier and straight forward unit to intsall, the Fourwinds II has a few extra compontents to install. Service from both companies are excellent. While we were in Isla Mujeres Mexico we needed a new rectifier for our wind generator, and even though our unit was out of warranty the company sent it to us free of charge.

My best advice is to get in the dingy or walk the docks on a windy day. See for yourself and hear for yourself, and decide what makes the best choice for you. If you ask a dozen sailors which one to choose, you'll get a dozen answers. Our choice to buy the Fourwinds unit was based on walking the docks on windy days and talking to cruisers that have actually gone cruising. If I had to buy another wind generator today, it would be the Fourwinds or the KISS.

Hope this helps,

damon and david
s/v Bruadair
sv_bruadair
First Mate

Postby rick_bradshaw » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:20 pm

Damon & David,

We've been away from the computer for a while getting things out of storage and into permanent storage in a shed we had built on a relative's property. Just now getting back up and running a bit. Still have to crawl through the snail mail. Today, we have to handline the boat and back her into the slip so that I can install the windvane. It is still _very_ difficult for me to drill holes even above the waterline.

I did pretty much as you suggested. I walked the docks. There were a few but the people who ownded them were not around. I spoke when possible, to people in the next slip but still not a lot of info.

I liked the quietness of the Rutland 913 but on investigation found that it didn't _really_ start charging till the wind picked up a lot. There were a couple of "odd" brands installed but could not tell what they were. Too far away to read and no one on the dock that knew but they did appear to be larger. The only one in abundance apart from the Rutland was the Air-X. A neighbor to one said the noise was not anything. He could sit in the cockpit and have a normal conversation without it bothering him. Said it sounded like an electric fan near by. Of course, that may be relative to the amount of wind that is blowing too and that I won't know about until everything is installed and we are out there. Also, the Air-X starts charging (according to the info I have) at a low speed and charges more and faster.

We now have the Air-X and hopefully, it will go up this week. One of the things I found was that sanding the blades with a 220 wet/dry until it is glass smooth will (is said to) decrease the noise. That comes from a satisfied customer and the distributer. It is (supposedly at least) the small holes in the blade material that create the noise and sanding them decreases them. Also, waxing or varnishing them would help too although I absolutely can't see myself doing that; at least now.

So, that is about it for now. We have just about all the big things purchased. Most are aboard and are installing/having them installed. Time is of the essence since we need to be on our way out of state by about the end of this month. (We've been held up big time by our frustrations dealing with a local rigger - over a month to redo the rigging and still not done (not all his fault (I'll own up to a week of it) but waiting in a boatyard slip for nearly a week ostensibly for a bolt and having the rigger go racing certainly was) - has to redo part since all the wiring didn't come down the compression post when the mast was put back on and a few other things like seemingly being unable to understand the difference between older cruising needs and racing needs of 20-somethings not to mention things like doors not closing. :evil: ) We plan to be in Ensenada for a couple months finishing up (need to have the waterline raised a bit when we have the bottom paint removed and redone down there) and then head south about the middle of November.
Rick

s/v La Vita
1987 HC 33T #136
rick_bradshaw
First Mate

Postby mike » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:31 pm

Rick,

We have a 2001 Airmarine which is noisy, we tied the later type industrial blades after our original blades were `shot up' by someone who didn't appreaciate the finer points of generating power by wind turbine. I also sanded the new blades & found them slightly quieter, I'm led to believe that the later models are controlled by the regulator & don't rely on the blades twisting to de-power them in high winds. What I've found is that they build up to high revs then twist de-power & star all over again hence the cycling noise & I can bare witness to what they sound like at 80kts+! Firghtening, you just hope they don't expolde!

We mounted ours on a shed 40 stainless pipe off a bracket on the under side of the pushpit, its also secured with a u-bolt through the top rail of the push pit. A couple of forward facing struts were added to stop the whole thing flexing in a sea way..

mike
mike
Captain

Postby steven_cleary » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:38 am

steven_cleary
Crew

Postby chickenbone » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:16 pm

chickenbone
Crew

Postby steven_cleary » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:02 pm

steven_cleary
Crew

Postby warmrain » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:06 pm

There is generator noise, blade noise and then there is vibration. I have never been aboard a sailing yacht where the vibration did not cause unbearable noise below decks, even with great effort to insulate the wind generator or its pole/arch.
Yacht "Warmrain" 1986 HC33T #123
Built by Hansa Yacht und Schiffbau G.M.B.H. Taichung Taiwan by Herb Guttler (last Hansa hull was #131, built 1987)

Posts are my opinion based on my experience; your results may vary from mine.
warmrain

Postby chickenbone » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:46 am

I have the 2 blade Fourwinds model.

And down below, you would never even know it was spinning if you did not look out the companionway. No vibration at all.

CB....
chickenbone
Crew

Postby warmrain » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:29 am

Yacht "Warmrain" 1986 HC33T #123
Built by Hansa Yacht und Schiffbau G.M.B.H. Taichung Taiwan by Herb Guttler (last Hansa hull was #131, built 1987)

Posts are my opinion based on my experience; your results may vary from mine.
warmrain

Postby chickenbone » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:33 am

chickenbone
Crew

Postby sv_bruadair » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:58 pm

sv_bruadair
First Mate

Next

Return to Windvanes, Solar Panels, Alternative Enerrgy