Wind generators

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Postby chickenbone » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:37 am

Ok, here we go guys. Sorry for the quality. It was getting dark and I did not feel like digging out the tripod.

This is mounted on the stern (as you can see).

Close up of the "base". No real bushings or buffers here.

Close up of the the port side brace. Notice there is bushings there. The starboard side is the same.

CB....
chickenbone
Crew

Postby warmrain » Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:16 pm

The effort is very much appreciated CB!
Yacht "Warmrain" 1986 HC33T #123
Built by Hansa Yacht und Schiffbau G.M.B.H. Taichung Taiwan by Herb Guttler (last Hansa hull was #131, built 1987)

Posts are my opinion based on my experience; your results may vary from mine.
warmrain

Postby chickenbone » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:15 pm

No problem.

No comments on the ugly knot and unwhipped line in that last shot. :)

It's just a temporary line to keep the cockpit tarp in place during the rainy season.

CB...
chickenbone
Crew

Postby russellmead10 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:44 am

A boat next to me had an AmpAir unit. Pretty quiet and started charging at low wind speeds. It has more low aspect blades than most units. It seemed to hunt around directionally a lot but kept spinning and charging well except in very light winds (the kind that would spin it some, but not enough to blow my flag around so probably wasn't generating power anyway).

http://www.boost-energy.com/ampair/prod ... oduct3.asp
or www.ampair.com
1980 HC38 MKII "S/V Silent Partner" Yanmar 4JH_4E, Lefiell spars, tanbark sails, undergoing repairs (storm damage) modernizations and general refit
russellmead10
Landlubber

Postby laughingbuddha » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:23 pm

We traded our Ampair - yes quiet - for a noisy AirMarine. Then took the upgrade (think they still offer it) to the AirX. It is quieter - and better amp output - both much better than the Ampair. Guess too many years with the "sound of freedom" dulled my ears.
A dollar/amp/dB chart would be useful :idea: May do that when I have some time :)

Cheers - Jim
laughingbuddha
Landlubber

Re: Wind generators

Postby bradley strnad » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:21 pm

Hello,

I am intrigued by the way you mounted your wind generator on the stern pulpit. Where did you get the mounting posts and brackets for it? Any issues? Would you do it again? Also, I can only see the first picture and would love to see more.

Thanks
bradley strnad
Landlubber

Re: Wind generators

Postby charles1 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:21 pm

I'm looking at the windy nation generator. They're made right here in Ventura, reasonably priced, very sturdily built and great output. They only advertise by word of mouth and still did 2 million last year. You can look at their marine product here http://www.windynation.com/products/win ... urbine-kit. They also have good solar options too. Hope that helps.

Charles
charles1

Previous

Return to Windvanes, Solar Panels, Alternative Enerrgy