[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - Windvanes

Windvanes

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Windvanes

Postby mitchk » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:26 pm

This subject has been discussed some in a previous post however I just returned from the Annapolis boat show and I am trying to decide between the Cape Horn and the Hydrovane. Both seem to be great units, the Hydrovane is much easier to install, steers using its own auxillary rudder which can be used as a back up emergency rudder. The Cape Horn uses the boats main rudder for steering which seems like a better way to me but it looks very hard to install! Anyone have any new comments or experience with either of these units? Or any others that they may recommend?
Mitch and Deb Karlson
SV Camino
1986 HC33T #104
Seabrook, Texas
mitchk

Postby johnrobinson » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:49 pm

Mitch; I've installed a Cape Horn on our 43T and didn't find it particulary hard to install, just tredious working back in the lazarette. The key to the installation it being very carefull and accurate with your measurements. Besides the clean look of these vanes I really like the fact that ther are no lines running through the cockpit to the wheel . . . I'll send some pictures . . .

Regards, John Robinson, S/V Crossings 43T, Seattle
johnrobinson
Crew

Postby lonesome_boatman » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:37 pm

Mitchk
SV Respite has a Cape Horn WV fitted which is damaged from the Katrina incident. It has had quite a load on the main vertical tube which is badly bent and distorted in one area. This is the only apparent damage apart from a minor bent puspit attachment bracket. It appears to be still functional with all articulated joints and connections still moving freely. The components & installation appear to be neat and very well engineered with excellent access to the quadrant. I have the top plastic vane and bottom wooden servo vane but I am not sure what other parts may be missing. I have downloaded the manual from the CH website and intend to remove and repair the unit. I intend to take pictures before removal to assist with reinstallation, if anybody is interested I will post them.

SV Respite Hull #52
Southport Qld Australia
lonesome_boatman
First Mate

Windvanes

Postby mitchk » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:30 pm

Thanks for the replies, Pics would be great! It will give me an idea what the mounting will look like and possible give me (and anyone considering this) some new ideas!
Mitch and Deb Karlson
SV Camino
1986 HC33T #104
Seabrook, Texas
mitchk

Postby edelweiss » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:35 pm

1980 HC 38T/MKII hybrid
edelweiss
Crew

Return to Windvanes, Solar Panels, Alternative Enerrgy