[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - Black Iron Fuel Tanks

Black Iron Fuel Tanks

Moderators: mimoza, warmrain

Black Iron Fuel Tanks

Postby harlenw » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:58 pm

I am hoping that you all will let a power boater into your group as I have a question about black iron fuel tanks that are on a 1988 Hans Christian 45’ Trawler that I am looking at.

I read your archives about black iron tanks and have thoroughly Googled the Web about them. I have found that there is no clear modern definition as to what “black Iron” actually means. Most sources state that it is a misnomer for mild steel. A metallurgy text I found from the early 1900s defined it as low carbon steel. I have also found several citations stating that the tanks could not be true black iron because it is too hard to weld into a tank as large as we see in our boats.

The key issue is, of course, corrosion resistance. The HC 45’ independence Trawler I am looking at is 19 years old and has four of these tanks. A leaking fuel tank is a serious and costly issue to deal with.

I would appreciate hearing from HC 45’ Trawler owners out there regarding their experience with the tanks as well as from any other HC owners who have them.

Thanks very much.

Harlen
harlenw
Landlubber

Postby mike » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:45 pm

From my own experience with the 43t yacht, our tanks are mild steel which are still bright & clean inside. They were epoxied on the outside & the tops which are the only part visible are rust free & clean, hopefully the rest of the tanks are the same.

mike
200 ton Master
Past Owner Jolly Swagman - HC 43t Cutter Hull# 110 1987
http://www.eskside.co.uk/william_riley/mike_coates.htm
mike
Captain

Black Iron fuel tanks

Postby captnbob » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:45 pm

I own an Independence 45 and prior to my purchase, I researched the same subject.

Typical black iron tanks will be damaged by continuous contact with water, that is why these tanks are encased in fiberglass. By eliminating the chance of contentious contact with a wet surface, these tanks should last for the life of the boat.
captnbob
Landlubber

Postby harlenw » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:41 am

CaptnBob, I can’t remember if I responded to your post previously. I am close to purchasing a 1988 45’ Independence Trawler. As you say, the outside of the tanks are fiberglass encased but have you examined the interior of your tanks for corrosion? Some people commenting on my posts about this boat suggest that condensation can occur in 20 year old tanks that could cause corrosion internally. What year is your boat and have you ever examined the inside of the tanks?

Thanks.

Harlen
harlenw
Landlubber

Postby captnbob » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:37 am

Harlen,

After purchasing the boat, I had a professional open all four tanks and polish the fuel while transferring the fuel between tanks. I didn't see them myself, but the polisher didn't see anything to be concerned about. He recommended regular use of a fuel additive that disperses water from condensation. Each tank has a port about 8" in diameter if you are concerned.

Can you tell me which Independence 45 you are buying (current name or hull #)? Mine is #3. Would like to hear more about you boat.

Bob
captnbob
Landlubber

Postby warmrain » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:40 pm

Yacht "Warmrain" 1986 HC33T #123
Built by Hansa Yacht und Schiffbau G.M.B.H. Taichung Taiwan by Herb Guttler (last Hansa hull was #131, built 1987)

Posts are my opinion based on my experience; your results may vary from mine.
warmrain

Postby turbin » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:08 am

Peter Ruyter
s/v CHRISTINA
XSA43015E787
1987 HC43Ch #15
Vasteras
Sweden
turbin
Crew

Postby warmrain » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:54 pm

Built by Hansa Yacht und Schiffbau G.M.B.H. Taichung Taiwan by Herb Guttler (last Hansa hull was #131, built 1987)

warmrain

Postby edelweiss » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:59 am

Steve do they do that pump out in the marina or do you have to be hauled out? Do you recal the company you used?

Mark
1980 HC 38T/MKII hybrid
edelweiss
Crew

Postby warmrain » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:50 pm

We used a local company, I don't remember who. I just searched google I think for a fuel polishing or cleaning company. THey came to us on Bainbridge Island, it is cheaper if you go to them. You do not need to haul. You will want to be prepared with an inspection plate. 8" is better than 6" if you have room. Theywill pump all the fuel out, steam clean the tank. dry the tank and pass the fuel through a 1 micron filter back into the boat. There are excellent fuel inspection plates available that you can install easily in the stainless steel cover of the tank. I regular hole saw works fine.

warmrain

Re: Black Iron Fuel Tanks

Postby catalysis » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:04 pm

We are contemplating a Hansa built 33 and would like to know if the water and fuel tanks are removable and if they are constructed of stainless steel.
Thanks for your help.
Paul and Maureen
catalysis
Landlubber

Re: Black Iron Fuel Tanks

Postby warmrain » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:28 am

The 2 water, one fuel and one holding tank are fiberglass and they are built into the keel; they are integral to the keel. They are not removable, they have stainless steel lids, that are impractically removable (installation of inspection places recommended). The advantage of their location is the do not effect the trim of the vessel port to starboard, nor do they consume the storage space under the settee. In the 26 years we have owned and lived aboard Warmrain (since she was new), the tanks have been trouble free.

warmrain

Return to Alternators, Generators and Batteries, Fuel, Fuel systems and Oil