[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - DIESEL BUG

DIESEL BUG

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

DIESEL BUG

Postby mike » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:01 pm

mike
Captain

Fuel

Postby mitchk » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:06 pm

Well I am not sure there is a perfect answer for keeping your fuel clean. You could have gotten a load of bad fuel? or the crossing may have stirred up some old sediment in the tank? Who knows? The system that I use involves 2 Racor filters that I can switch between by turning 2 fuel valves and includes a 12v fuel recirculating pump that I run sometimes for a full day while connected to shore power so i dont drain the batteries. This pump is connected to the fuel line between the filters and the engine, it is connected with a tee and a valve so I can turn it off when not in use so that when my engine is running there is no chance of getting air in the line, of course the discharge side of the pump is tee'd into the return line. It is a fairly high volume pump so it moves a lot of fuel, I can see the diesel swirlling oround in the bottom of the filter and does not run the fuel through the engine fuel pump. My fuel stays very (see through) clean this way. Of course there is no telling how much stuff is on the bottom of the tank? It has been reported that the fuel pick up does no go all the way to the bottom of the tank?
mitchk

Postby mike » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:13 pm

Over Christmas I finally got round to cleaning out our contaminated Starboard tank. I'd been lucky in that by mistake I'd run the tank dry, I still expected that there would be a gallon or two left in the bottom. I was very surprised that there was less than a pint in the tank and most of this was water - possibly a good reason why the engine stopped!!
After emptying the last dregs the sludge & what I guess must be the remains of the fuel bug were cleaned out with paper towels. When re-filling the tank I dosed it with Startron to hopefully prevent any further growth. Having the tank empty also gave me the oportunity to calibrate the guage as we re-filled. I now know exactly how much I have when we get down to reserve.

FWIW fully topped off the tank holds 42 IMP gallons

mike
200 ton Master
Past Owner Jolly Swagman - HC 43t Cutter Hull# 110 1987
http://www.eskside.co.uk/william_riley/mike_coates.htm
mike
Captain

Postby mike » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:15 pm

Mitch,

I found the fuel delivery pipe was within 3/8" of the bottom of the tank in the lowest corner, thats why we were down to less than a pint left in the tank when the engine stopped.

Mike
200 ton Master
Past Owner Jolly Swagman - HC 43t Cutter Hull# 110 1987
http://www.eskside.co.uk/william_riley/mike_coates.htm
mike
Captain

Return to Alternators, Generators and Batteries, Fuel, Fuel systems and Oil