Honda EU2000i

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Honda EU2000i

Postby sv_bruadair » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:29 am

For the past two years we have cruised with our Yamaha 1kw portable generator. This month we finally decided to upgrade to a 2kw portable generator, the Honda EU2000i.

Since we left Texas we have met numerous cruisers cruising with these Honda generators, and like our retired Yamaha, they are very quiet and use very little gas.

As the retail price is around $1100, I just wanted to share my excellent experience with the folks at wisesales.com. Not only were they pleasant but very professional. They had the best price I could find at $869, that included shipping.

If there is anyone looking for small portable generators, Honda or otherwise, I would highly recommend www.wisesales.com . More often than not we always share our bad experiences, I just thought it would be nice to share some good ones too.
Damon and David
s/v Bruadair
1984 HC33 #58
www.bruadair.us
www.sv-bruadair.blogspot.com

Out cruising somewhere in Colombia or Panama
sv_bruadair
First Mate

Honda EU2000

Postby mitchk » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:15 pm

I owned an EU2000 that I used on my fishing boat. I used to run it all night long during fishing trips. It never failed me, ran quiet and was still running good the day I sold it. I have now decided to add one of these to my HC33, I will be getting it with the "AC to Go" unit available from Jack Rabbit Marine. This kit includes a 2500 Watt Victron inverter that the Honda runs through. The Honda EU2000 has enough amperage output to run a 16000 BTU air conditioner but not enough to start it. This Victron inverter has a switch that detects a high load and pulls additional amps from your house battery bank to start the air conditioner then cuts off and lets it run on the EU2000. This inverter also has a 120 amp built in battery charger. Also I just found out last week that Yamaha has just introduced a 2400 watt unit that is just a little larger than the Honda and supposedly just as quiet.
Mitch and Deb Karlson
SV Camino
1986 HC33T #104
Seabrook, Texas
mitchk

Postby sv_bruadair » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:33 am

Hey Mitch, what marina are you guys at these days?

I had borrowed another cruiser's Honda EU2000i, it fits perfectly under the helmsman seat. I had considered the Yamaha 2400 but it won't fit under the helmsman seat and I didn't particularly feel like putting it in the lazarette. Try the guys at wisesales.com, best price I could find was from them.

I'll have to look at the Victron system, though we just bought a Freedom 1500w inverter with a 75 amp charger. We had considered the unit with the 100 amp charger but it appears that the Honda will support up to about an 80 amp charger, didn't feel like spending money on 20 amps I couldn't use.

If you get the system let me know how it works out.
Damon and David
s/v Bruadair
1984 HC33 #58
www.bruadair.us
www.sv-bruadair.blogspot.com

Out cruising somewhere in Colombia or Panama
sv_bruadair
First Mate

Return to Alternators, Generators and Batteries, Fuel, Fuel systems and Oil