[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - Fuel return line fitting

Fuel return line fitting

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Fuel return line fitting

Postby ricardo » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:15 am

ricardo
Crew

Postby ricardo » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:46 am

It's me again,
Of course a taped fitting would have a good reason to leak, I meant ''tapped'' with threads on the cover itself. :oops:

Richard
''Plume''
ricardo
Crew

Postby mike » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:35 am

Richard,

If its similar to the fittings on our 43t tanks the pipes are threaded into the tank material. I have found several fitting like this eventually leak notably the changeover tap, the problem I beleive is due to using a semi-settin mastic that fails through time. I've sucessfully re-sealed any leaking joints by dissassembling, cleaning the male threads with a wire brush & then sealing with PTFE thread tape.

mike
200 ton Master
Past Owner Jolly Swagman - HC 43t Cutter Hull# 110 1987
http://www.eskside.co.uk/william_riley/mike_coates.htm
mike
Captain

Postby ricardo » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:50 pm

Mike, Thanks for your encouraging reply!

Do you have FRP integrated tanks with SS covers. My leaking fitting is ''mounted'' on such cover and in fact it looks like there is some melting caulk around. Have you thought about using a gasket of some sort or even an o-ring? Teflon tape is great though, you can easily go back and use more if it's still leaking. I'd be tempted to use both.

Since our boats are not the same (lenght and year), I'm still unsure about this design detail. If your fittings are threaded in the SS cover, this looks very much the same to me.

Richard
ricardo
Crew

Postby mike » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:11 pm

I just went for the tape. My tanks are black iron with GRP coating & stainless cover plates.

Mike
200 ton Master
mike
Captain

Postby ricardo » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:52 pm

Mike,

One last confirmation I need. Is your fitting screwed through the SS cover plate (tank material?).

thank you!
Richard
ricardo
Crew

Postby mike » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:28 am

NO, mine is through the tank top, I guess it could have a reinfocing bush welded to the underside of the top to give a better thickness to screw into. Our tank inspection ports are around 1/4" - 5/16" thick, if yours are the same then there should be more than sufficient thread depth.

Mike
200 ton Master
mike
Captain

Postby ricardo » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:29 pm

In the HC 33T the tanks are made of GRP and are integrated in the keel. They have a large (almost as large as the tank) SS cover plate. Most of the fittings are SS ''pipes'' welded on that cover except for the one that's giving me trouble. The cover is not very thick, so I'm still wondering if it's been tapped or not. I don't have access to the boat right now (to much snow) but I think this time with a closer look, I'll be able to figure it out.

I've seen your pictures on other posts, very beautiful boat you have!

Thanks for helping me!
ricardo
Crew

Postby warmrain » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:59 pm

On Warmrain all the fittings in the tank lids are welded. The fuel line has the fill, the vent and the fuel return line in the tank lid. The fuel feed is the line in the aft part of the tank that is glass and just ahead of the bildge sump.

It could be you've got a defective weld.
Yacht "Warmrain" 1986 HC33T #123
Built by Hansa Yacht und Schiffbau G.M.B.H. Taichung Taiwan by Herb Guttler (last Hansa hull was #131, built 1987)

Posts are my opinion based on my experience; your results may vary from mine.
warmrain

Postby ricardo » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:01 am

Thanks warmrain, you're making me think that I'm probably dealing with a retrofit. But it's definitly a bronze fitting and surely not soldered this time. Hope I'll be able to figure it out!

Richard
ricardo
Crew

Postby warmrain » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:24 pm

Yes, I should have made it clear that all of the original welded fittings on the tank lids of Warmrain are in fact stainless steel.

I watched Warmrain come off the containership, she was ours fro the beginning so at least in 1986 this is the way it was.

If you have a retrofit, I wonder if it is in the same location? If not the other fitting may still be there and capped off? The tank material is not all that thick and I wonder if there is enough thickness to get enough threads (though the Hart tank Tender probes seal off fine, they also have O-rings). Furthermore I suspect a pipe thread tape was not used and suspect your fitting has pipe threads...
Built by Hansa Yacht und Schiffbau G.M.B.H. Taichung Taiwan by Herb Guttler (last Hansa hull was #131, built 1987)

warmrain

Postby ricardo » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:56 pm

I don't remember seeing any other free fitting on the cover. This mystery one is in the aft starboard corner (of the cover) and I could see some black caulking melting away. I fear the possibility of a nut underneath but I doubt it because one would have to remove the cover to do so! From what you're telling me, I'm beginning to think that it's been tapped throught the previous (defective) welded fitting hole, not a good sign, unless they did drill a larger hole for a larger fitting. Anyway, If the threads look good, I intend to use teflon tape with maybe an o-ring just like the Hart tank tender you told me about.

BTW, Warmrain, I really need to tell you how much I appreciated all that I've read from you. I think that I've read all your posts and to a point, I bought my boat mostly because of your input. I could see that you really know your boat and understand (or respect) its design, that's why your descriptions are always clear, to the point with the right dose of objectivity. And rest assure, you've succeeded with me, I loooove my boat (almost a work of art) even if it's ''killing'' me.

When haul-out time comes, I use Warmrain coming out of the container to make sure yardworkers know what to do. When I see that picture, I cannot stop thinking how a wonderful event this must have been for you. Most beautiful bundle in the world (for us).

Thanks again for your help!

Richard

''Plume''
HC33T 1983
ricardo
Crew

Postby warmrain » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:53 pm

Thank you for the kind words... We searched for a year to find something that suited us better than the HC33 and never could find one. Yes, it was a joy to see her come off the container ship and a few days latter to be aboard her when the container lifted her into the water from off of the biggest cradle and pallet I've ever seen.

Even after 20 years we are always looking for the next boat. We've turned down many, not because they were lacking in anyway, but because we could not bear to be without Warmrain. She is really home...

IF you need to get to the backside of that fuel tank top plate you might think about something that is on MY list of things to do... install an inspection plate. This is the best one I've found so far. It can be mounted without removing the tank lid and you can get an arm through it, maybe even an inspection mirror and flashlight...

http://www.seabuilt.com/main.swf

Best, Cars

warmrain

Postby ricardo » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:47 am

It's a brilliant design, I've already seen it from your previous posts (I told you I've read almost everything from you). But while your with me, how do you plan to cut the big hole and in what area, I don't remember if there's enough room under the sink? Would you plan to empty the tank before cutting and then give it a big wash from that new hole (would this be possible)?
I want to go with a Hart Tank Tender for my next ''big'' projet and while I'll be drilling holes, might as well ''drill'' that big one too!

Richard
ricardo
Crew

Feul Tank

Postby mitchk » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:21 pm

I recently installed a traditional feul guage in my tank (the one with the floating arm) which required drilling holes in the tank top. I dont know what those tops are made of but we went through several drill bits trying to get the holes drilled. It took 1 full day and several trips to the hardware store buying different types of bits before we finished.
Mitch and Deb Karlson
SV Camino
1986 HC33T #104
Seabrook, Texas
mitchk

Next

Return to Alternators, Generators and Batteries, Fuel, Fuel systems and Oil