[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - Nissan Diesel Oil Filter and Gaskets

Nissan Diesel Oil Filter and Gaskets

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Nissan Diesel Oil Filter and Gaskets

Postby kimefishoff » Sat May 17, 2008 5:52 am

I recently purchased two oil filter "kits" from TransPacific (in Fairfield), the Nissan Diesel parts supplier in the San Francisco Bay Area. Each kit includes one gasket, two washers and a paper filter and costs $53! Seems a little steep for a paper filter. My Nissan Diesel was Marinized by Chrysler (as I assume most were) and was manufactured in 1977. The Chrysler model number is MN433. Does anyone out there have one of these engines, and are you able to finds parts and filters? What are they costing you? I would also like to stock up on filters and gaskets for the primary fuel filter.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Kim Efishoff
Teal, 1977 HC38T
kimefishoff
Landlubber

Postby Bill » Sun May 18, 2008 11:25 pm

Hey Kim, I didn't know you still had an HC, but am happy to report that we too have a Nissan SD22/Chrysler MN433, great engine.

You can find the Oil Filters at any NAPA Auto parts, or at least they can order them. The part number is NAPA 1399. They are also available as a WIX part number 51399.

We are located in Mexico and just purchase 12 of them for approx $10 each. You will also find that almost anything on the engine that is not related to "Marine" is available at the normal auto parts stores as well. The engine was run in Nissan pickup trucks during the late 70's and early 80's, so if you need to you can just walk in an ask for part to fit you 1979 Nissan pickup with an SD22 engine. We have purchase a water pump and looked at the starter motors as well. The water pump was approx $25....Sure beats Trans Pacific or Jesco in Southern CA. Both those companies are great when you need the really tough stuff for the marine portion of the engine, but your dependable Nissan parts are available everywhere.

As an aside the engine is still used in Nissan Forklifts and is available new (for repower) for less than $10k.

Hope this helps.
Bill and Lisa
Beyond Reason
'79 HC43 Ketch
Hull #23
www.beyondreason.us
Bill
First Mate

Location: Finished sweating out the Mexican summers and heading home to San Francisco.

Thanks!

Postby kimefishoff » Mon May 19, 2008 4:48 am

Bill and Lisa,
Thank you for the welcome information about Nissan parts! I've been quietly working on my HC for the last several years and have replaced every system on the boat, in addition to performing a complete refinish of the interior. I hope to get everything done by the end of this summer.

It sounds like you guys are living the life! I hope I can join you soon. Thanks again for the very helpful information.
Best Regards,
Kim
kimefishoff
Landlubber

Fuel Filter

Postby kimefishoff » Mon May 19, 2008 5:35 am

Hello again Bill,
Do you happen to know the WIX part number for the fuel filter?
Thanks again,
Kim
kimefishoff
Landlubber

Postby Bill » Mon May 19, 2008 11:22 pm

Kim,

The fuel filters (from NAPA Auto Parts) are made by Baldwin. The Baldwin fuel filter number is PF861, these match the Nissan fuel element #16444-99125.

I sent a message about a year ago asking if anyone had a Nissan with the hot water heater plumbed to the engine, any chance you have yours connected? Pictures?

Thanks
Bill and Lisa
Beyond Reason
'79 HC43 Ketch
Hull #23
www.beyondreason.us
Bill
First Mate

Location: Finished sweating out the Mexican summers and heading home to San Francisco.

Postby Bill » Mon May 19, 2008 11:23 pm

Kim,

The fuel filters (from NAPA Auto Parts) are made by Baldwin. The Baldwin fuel filter number is PF861, these match the Nissan fuel element #16444-99125. The cost was $10.10 per filter.

I sent a message about a year ago asking if anyone had a Nissan with the hot water heater plumbed to the engine, any chance you have yours connected? Pictures?

Thanks
Bill and Lisa
Beyond Reason
'79 HC43 Ketch
Hull #23
www.beyondreason.us
Bill
First Mate

Fuel Filter/Water Heater Hook-up

Postby kimefishoff » Wed May 21, 2008 6:03 am

Bill,
Thanks again. Using the part number you gave me for the oil filter I found a local source as $12.50 each (I paid $50+ each at TransPacific!!!). I ordered five more filters for a total of $65. I found the fuel filter for $8.10 (Microlite Fuel Element - PF861) at http://www.go2marine.com/ and ordered seven.

Yes I do have an engine heated/AC hot water system. I believe you are probably most interested in how it comes off the engine. It is a simple circulating system (two 1" hoses, one send and one return) that ties into the engine's internal cooling system. The engine cooling fluid is then circulated through the water heater heat exchanger (my hose run is around 15 feet). The only difficulty you might have is finding the Chrysler engine fixture (part of the Chrysler marinization) that taps off the engine cooling fluid, assuming you don't already have one. Go2marine may have it, or may point you in the right direction, as they specilize in marine engine components that include the Chrysler-Nissan. At any rate, I'll take several photos and forward them to you. Why don't you give my your email address.

By the way, do you have a Chrysler-Nissan Diesel Repair Manual? I do and can forward scanned text and figures as needed. I'll see if there's anything in the manual on the water heater hook-up.

Thanks,
Kim
kimefishoff
Landlubber

Water Heater Connection

Postby kimefishoff » Wed May 21, 2008 6:26 am

Bill,
Good news. Looking at the figure in the manual, and remembering my set-up on my engine, it appears that the water heater heat exchanger piping probably comes directly off the fresh water (cooling fluid) circulating pump. I'm sure it's a simple matter of tapping off the fresh water pump using common fittings. After I take photos tomorrow, I'll modify the sketch from the manual to show how this system is tapped off the water pump. It looks like a one-day job to me.
Kim
kimefishoff
Landlubber

Postby Bill » Wed May 21, 2008 1:25 pm

Excellent news on your purchase of the filters and the information regarding the hot water heater/engine plumbing.

Yes we do have the full Nissan Manual and the Chrysler Marinized supplement but neither have covered anything on the "heater" or "water heater" hoses. I did notice that there is an outlet on the freshwater circulation pump for a 1" hose, but only 1 so I was not sure if it was for the return or the outflow. Also couldn't see standing above the engine constantly pouring water into the engine and then allowing it to run out the end of the water heater and into the bilge, so finding the return on the engine would be great :lol: !

Looking forward to the pictures.
Bill and Lisa
Beyond Reason
'79 HC43 Ketch
Hull #23
www.beyondreason.us
Bill
First Mate

Water Heater Hook-up

Postby kimefishoff » Sat May 24, 2008 8:08 pm

Bill,
The hook-up on the water heater is simplicity itself. I'm forwarding the photos and sketches to your email address at: billandlisa@beyondreason.us, with an explanation. If you have the same manual I have, you will find a sketch of the cooling system on page 13-1. In order to connect a water heater into this system, break into the by-pass line at the water pump and run both ends to your water heater. The cooling fluid will circulate through your water heater heat exchanger and back through the engine. Not only does this provide a means to heat the water in your water heater, it also adds another source for heat dissipation for your engine. It's a great system.
kimefishoff
Landlubber

Postby Bill » Sun May 25, 2008 12:54 am

Kim,

Very cool. Yes I do have the same manual based on the diagram. Is your system "T" with valve on the flow and return from the water heater or just ran with direct lines (ie if the water heater burst a vein you lose you cooling).

Additionally though the photo's may show, is you water heater above the level of your exhaust manifold/radiator cap?

Thanks for the details. I look forward to the photos and the addition of hot water soon.
Bill and Lisa
Beyond Reason
'79 HC43 Ketch
Hull #23
www.beyondreason.us
Bill
First Mate

Water Heater

Postby kimefishoff » Sun May 25, 2008 8:03 pm

Bill,
Did you recieve my email? I sent diagrams and photos. Yes my water heater is located above my exhaust. It's in the forward most part of the bow under the V-berth. The diagrams and explanation that I emailed you explains the valving that I'm using to tap off of the cooling system. However, when I purchased the boat, the system was straight-thru from the cooling system to the water heater, which did not allow one to remove the water heater from the system if a leak occurred (see my email). It works fine that way, but is not as safe. My email address is kimefishoff@comcast.net.
Kim
kimefishoff
Landlubber

Postby robertgodina » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:26 am

::: Next Buy ::: New Seat Cover ; New Audio Setting
::: Next Project ::: Rebuild
robertgodina
Landlubber

Postby Bill » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:36 pm

Bill and Lisa
Beyond Reason
'79 HC43 Ketch
Hull #23
www.beyondreason.us
Bill
First Mate

Return to Nissan & Isuzu