[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - Flexible Couplings

Flexible Couplings

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Flexible Couplings

Postby paul_guenette » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:16 am

Have any of you installed a 'Poli Flex Disc Coupling' between the gearbox and the shaft :?:

http://www.polyflex.com.au/Disc%20couplings.htm

We are in the process of installing a new shaft and have the option of putting in a flexible coupling.

If any one out there has installed one or something similar I would like to hear what you think about flexible couplings.

Thank you
paul_guenette
Cabinboy

Postby mike » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:59 am

200 ton Master
Past Owner Jolly Swagman - HC 43t Cutter Hull# 110 1987
http://www.eskside.co.uk/william_riley/mike_coates.htm
mike
Captain

Postby paul_guenette » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:33 pm

paul_guenette
Cabinboy

Postby mike » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:50 pm

200 ton Master
mike
Captain

Aquadrive

Postby doug_hart » Sat May 26, 2007 1:52 am

Mike,

When I got the line round my shaft the other week the floor/bulkhead holding the thrust bearing got badly damaged, it was only plywood glassed into the bilge sides and the mounting bolts just ripped out. I was interested to read that yours had been mild steel and that you have now moved to stainless. It might suggest that my plywood unit was a disaster waiting to happen. Would you have a photograph of your set up that you could let me have.

Thanks

Doug
zingara II
doug_hart
First Mate

Postby mike » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:10 pm

Hi Doug,

Sorry I havn't got back to you, have been away to have the boat lifted for antfouling & replace the piece of keel we left in Norway! Then the system wouldn't let me post anything saying I hadn't paid! Hopefully this is all been cleared.

If you want I'll get you some pics of what I did, our Aquadrive system uses an original bulkhead which is around 2" thick glassed into the hull. On the aft side we have (new this winter) a 8mm stain less steel plate through bolted with 6 bolts to the bulkhead, the drive unit is connected to this so that it is all under pressure against the bulkhead when going ahead, only when going astern are the bolts in tension.

The original was a 1/2" steel plate which when I removed it was around 3/4" thich owing to corrosion, it use to constantly run red rust into the bilge. Who ever fitted it didn't have a clue what they were doing as they had carefully glassed over it on the AFt side which wasn't of any use only serving to make it a B.... to get out. I had to drill a couple of hundred holes in the radius of the glass between the hull side & the plate then split it out with a sharp chisel. When I got it loose I found I still couldn't remove it from the hull because of the exhaust pipe, I tried to cut it in two with a slitting disk but after 1/2 an hour and only gone an inch i abonned it & removed the original cross member strut that took the old thrust block. Only then could I lift it out. But before that having cut the glass off the face I still had to remove the glass from the sides of the hull which prevented the plate moving aft. I was glad to see that whoever had fitted it had failed to prep the hul & had left the gel flow coat shiny so the glass hadn't bonded to it, I was able to split it away from the hull sides with a broad brick chisel. Needless to say the new one isn't glassed into place, the only glass was a couple of layers applied just as I fitted the stainless plate between the the bulkhead & the plate to take out any un-evenness. Runs as smooth as a clock.

If you want pics come back to me

mike
200 ton Master
mike
Captain

Postby mike » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:03 pm

Doug here are the pics, sorry they are not very good, the space is too restrictive to do much. Note the wedge packing piece at the top of the plate between the bulkhead & the plate this a piece of Tuphnol to take upthe slight discrepency in angles between the bulkhead & the stainless plate.

mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
200 ton Master
mike
Captain

Return to Props, Shafts, Transmissions & Alignment