[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - PSS Shaft seal

PSS Shaft seal

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

PSS Shaft seal

Postby mike » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:13 pm

We are looking at making a mod to our shaft this summer, like most HC 43's we suffer at high revs with shaft whip despite have an Aqadrive unit which shortens the length of the shaft considerable.

As part of the mod my intention is to fit a cutlass bearing on the inboard end of the stern tube to give extra support to the shaft & prevent whip & also fit a PSS dripless seal.

I've been told by the UK distributors I can get away without having to water feed the seal but am concerned that the additional cutlass may not have sufficient water to lubricate it - my stuffing gland always drips which makes me think there could be sufficient water in the tube!

Has anyone fitted one to a 43T, if so have they water fed it & if so where did they take the from? If I have to water feed it I'm considering Tee-ing into the system just before the exhaust injection.

I have the dimensions as 1-1/2" shaft with the stern tube at 72mm 2-27/32" dia. can anyone confirm the stern tube dia?

Any thoughts?

Mike
200 ton Master
Past Owner Jolly Swagman - HC 43t Cutter Hull# 110 1987
http://www.eskside.co.uk/william_riley/mike_coates.htm
mike
Captain

Postby mimoza » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:51 am

Cap'n Bri
HC 33 "Mimoza" Hull number 43
Mimoza is the name of the Admiral, a flower, and a star - the eastern arm of the Southern Cross, also called Becrux.
mimoza
First Mate

Postby mike » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:03 am

200 ton Master
mike
Captain

Postby straban » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:16 pm

Mike, I have a PSS Dripless installed on my 43T. No problems with lubricating at the RPM we run at. So long as you have sufficient water pressure to fill the bellows when under way you will have enough water to lubricate the seal. Surface tension will do the rest.

dave
HC 43 Ketch "Straban" 1979 #15
straban
Landlubber

Postby mike » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:17 pm

Thanks Dave,

My concern is not with keeping the seal wet but more about the additional cutlass bearing I intend fitting on the inboard end of the stern tube. I would have expected there should be sufficient water always present in the tube to keep it lubricated as my conventional shaft seal is permanently dripping.

Can you remember what size unit you fitted?

Mike
200 ton Master
mike
Captain

Return to Props, Shafts, Transmissions & Alignment