Question about shower drain?!

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Question about shower drain?!

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:23 am

My shower basically drains to the bilge right under the bed. Is there a shower drain kid that you guys use?

I hate the fact that mine empties straight into the bilge because it leads to possible bad smells.

I would love to see pictures of you alls set up! I know that "brown"water and fiberglass don't match too well. I would love to have a plastic collector under the shower that drains to a holding tank that gets pumped out as it fills up!

Anybody have something like that??

Thank you in advance

Re: Question about shower drain?!

Postby lonesome_boatman » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:47 pm

The shower drain setup as you describe is standard on most HC33's. It drains back to the center line bilge beneath the pulman berth. Do you have a bilge pump in this sump, mine has and it discharges through the galley sink drain.Even if it does not any water in this bilge will drain back when it gets to high or in a seaway to the main bilge under the engine. This front bilge sump also catches the salt water from the anchor locker and the speed log when I remove it. It could be plumbed up to the holding tank very easily if that's the way you want to go. I try to keep the plumbing simple and I have not found it to be too smelly. I give this sump a fresh water hose out every now and then and it is quite easy to clean out and keep fresh.
Mick
SV Respite 1983 HC33T # 52
Queensland Australia.
"Men who cannot enter into the mind of the sea, cannot for the same reason enter into the mind of ships."
lonesome_boatman
First Mate

Postby andyv94 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:29 pm

Hi Mick

Thank you for your reply, yes my set up is exactly like that! I do have a pump that drains to the sink drain. I've just heard that it can get really smelly and with fungus because of what you shower off..hair, skin, etc....plus my finish is a bit rough I think the gel coat (or whatever the finish) has pealed off in some areas so hair and stuff would get stock
Does anybody have a different set up?? Just curious
Andy & Kristy
S/V Gitana
HC33T #28
andyv94
First Mate

Postby scleary » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:48 am

my current 43 and prior 48 both have/had shower sumps->small self contained pumps/containers that go directly overboard. There is a screen/filter that is easily removed/cleaned. I wouldn't want to add shower water to the sewage, it will fill up a holding tank extremely quickly. The assemblies are fairly inexpensive, small plastic tanks with a bilge pump and float switch. When the shower runs, it fills the tank, trips the float switch and is sent overboard like a regular bilge pump would. You can also buy a 'condensate' pump at Lowes that is more or less the same setup minus the screen, only used for dehumidifiers, just add an inline filter you can easily reach/clean. You just run the drain line from the shower into one of these boxes and then run a second line from the pump to an above the water line thru-hull.

Best of luck!
Steve
scleary
Crew

Postby andyv94 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:55 am

That sounds like what I was going to do! Good to know it's been done before.

Thank you
Andy & Kristy
S/V Gitana
HC33T #28
andyv94
First Mate

Postby SV_Pegasus » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:31 pm

Why not pump over through the head sink drain? Has anyone remoted the pump, so it pulls the water through the hose?
Sam Thayer
S/V Pegasus
HC33 #29

"I can teach you how to sail; I cannot teach you why."
SV_Pegasus
First Mate

Postby andyv94 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:54 pm

I have not, I am going to my boat here the 1st of November and I will buy a sump pump and install it under the pullman and have it drain to the main sink, it helps that it will be downhill :D
Connecting it to the head sink you have to go down and then up, i know you are using a pump to pump it out but i rather have a natural slpe to help the pump 8)
Andy & Kristy
S/V Gitana
HC33T #28
andyv94
First Mate

Postby bramfam » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:06 am

My 33 is plumbed from the shower drain to a dedicated pum that sends it out the galley sink through-hull.
S/V Dragonquest, HC33T
bramfam
Cabinboy

Return to HC33