[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - Selling our 3qm30, beta repower in Panama

Selling our 3qm30, beta repower in Panama

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Selling our 3qm30, beta repower in Panama

Postby jonneely » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:34 pm

We will be replacing our existing 3QM30 with a beta marine 35 in Colon Panama. There is truly nothing wroing with the engine, but with the GBP being low and parts being excessively high on the yanmar, we decided to repower!
This is what we have, I will either sell as a whole and ship it anywhere, or if that doesn't happen I will strip the engine and piecemeal it out.

3QM30F Fresh Water cooled with heat exchanger 30hp/2600rpm Aprrox 3000Hrs, no smoke even with cold start, runs super strong, mild cosmetic rust on certain parts but overall good condition for a 30+year engine.
KH18 gear box with R&D Flex coupling and 5", 1 1/4'' shaft coupling
Replaced in 2014:
New Raw Water pump, rebuilt fresh water pump, new balmar 75 amp alternator AH-5 controller, replaced all cooling hoses, Custom S/S 316 mixing elbow made
Spares: Complete New Injector, Spare professionally rebuilt raw water pump, extra thermostats, many gaskets for raw water and thermostats, lots of zincs, spare lift fuel pump.

Looking for $2500 + Shipping. I will upload photos and a video of a cold start and run when we get better internet, not planning on ripping it out until October/November, but just wanted to see if there was any interest. As current owners of 3Qms know, parts are ridiculous for these engines, and this engine would be a great drop in for someones engine that is tired, or just in parts its worth probably more.

Cheers,

Jon
1982 HC33 S/V Prism
www.svprism.com
jonneely
Crew

Re: Selling our 3qm30, beta repower in Panama

Postby lonesome_boatman » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:39 am

Good plan Jon. Recycle the old cast iron sail.
You have a lot of parts that are in demand and not very easy to source. From what I understand the KH18 gearbox is no longer available and rebuilding one is not an option. Hope the re-power goes well and the 3QM30F goes to a good home. My old 3QM30F is going great apart from some vibrations at low to mid RPM. It gets Respite up to near 7 kts with a clean hull, no wind and flat water with the standard prop. Interested to see how the re- power, will watch out for the next great video!
Mick
SV Respite 1983 HC33T # 52
Queensland Australia.
"Men who cannot enter into the mind of the sea, cannot for the same reason enter into the mind of ships."
lonesome_boatman
First Mate

Postby jonneely » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:58 pm

We will have quite the write up for it. we are excited!
1982 HC33 S/V Prism
www.svprism.com
jonneely
Crew

Postby jonneely » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:16 pm

1982 HC33 S/V Prism
www.svprism.com
jonneely
Crew

Postby jonneely » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:18 pm

A few more things i would like to mention that I did do a good job at in the original post. The rear seal on the KH18 does leak, not a lot, the leak is in the magnitude of maybe a drop or two after every heavy use. When I change the fluid every 100hrs i clean up the small little puddle and have never seen a difference on the actual dip stick of the gearbox. This is a slooooow but ant to stay 100% transparent. I believe the dampener plate is worn because even out of gear the shaft turns, albeit very slow and I can stop it by hand. From what I heard this is a classic tale of a old dampener plate. It does not sound like a bunch of bolts rattling which I was told the dampener plate must be replaced, but there it is. I have attached a video of cold startup, put in gear, Fwd, rev, neutral.
https://youtu.be/3n8GzWZnFBo
Cheers,

Jon
1982 HC33 S/V Prism
www.svprism.com
jonneely
Crew

Postby jonneely » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:39 pm

$1500+ Shipping for the engine minus the spares and Balmar. Any takers?

Cheers,

Jon
1982 HC33 S/V Prism
www.svprism.com
jonneely
Crew

Postby rangerover » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:46 pm

Jon- you should PM Nike at WhiteSpotPirates.
Her engine cratered after she transited the canal. I think the boat is in Las Perlas, near Panama City.

Not sure what she has in her boat now and what she is wanting to replace it with. Reach out, she could use some sage advice on repairing vs repowering.
Seems like proximity to you is good, just not sure what her timing is.....

Tell her Brandon, a friend of "Jojo" sent you.
Brandon
HC33T #14, SV Bella
Atlanta/Savannah, GA
rangerover
Crew

Postby andyv94 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:04 am

Jon
I was looking at the exact same engine, how much were you guys quoted for engine and transmission?
Andy & Kristy
S/V Gitana
HC33T #28
andyv94
First Mate

Postby wildswan » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:03 am

Jon,
I might be interested in parts if you start parting out. Shipping from Panama to Florida might be a kicker, but we can take a look.

Adam
Adam
S/V Wild Swan
HC33T #26
wildswan
Cabinboy

Postby cwclytn » Sat May 05, 2018 3:17 pm

Hey, Nice videos, where did you two disappear to ?

Do you know the GRT and NRT for the HC 33. Trying to register our HC 33 in Canada (formerly US boat) but I am missing some info.

Thanks
cwclytn
Landlubber

Return to HC33