[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - Tank Access

Tank Access

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Tank Access

Postby builder » Sat May 05, 2018 6:44 pm

C7510CF0-AE92-41C0-9759-4FA8CF0F14DE.jpegI am planning to open the access plates on all 4 of my HC33 tanks (fuel, 2 water & holding). Looking for advice, tools & techniques, any modifications recommended.

I only have one apparent issue with a loose vent fitting on the fuel tank access lid. It will need to be welded. There is some corrosion of the plates & bolts. 4 heads broke off of the first 18 bolts that I tried to remove from the fuel cover plate. I stopped there & have now thoroughly cleaned & been soaking all the bolts on all the tanks with penetrating oil.

From the previous posts I have read there is a thick rubber gasket between the plates & neck flanges but it’s not clear to me if it’s best to plan on reusing this or replacing it, also i’ve seen discussion on pick up tube length. Any advice would be appreciated on:
1) how to get the metal lids up without damaging the fibreglass necks that they are sealed to
2) what sealant or gasket or both to reinstall with.
3) modifications - to tanks or access plates? Gauge sensors, pick up tubes?

Much appreciated
Jim Routledge
Fabiola II Hull#118
Curacao
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
builder
Landlubber

Re: Tank Access

Postby jonneely » Mon May 07, 2018 6:58 pm

Just go slow not to crack the fiberglass flange on the lids. We replaced our holding tank lid with 1/2'' nylon due to how corrosive that stuff can be. We have only accessed the holding and fuel, never the water but we plan on getting into those when we decommission Prism in October and replace all of the plumbing with PEX. Take lots of photos.

Jon
1982 HC33 S/V Prism
www.svprism.com
jonneely
Crew

Postby builder » Mon May 07, 2018 7:18 pm

Good to know Jon - thank you. I am wondering if heat like from a plumbers torch would soften up the seal whatever it is. Is that something you used or just work a scraper blade around nd the edge. I am thinking that the seal must only be about an inch wide?? What did you use to Re seal after? Did you make new lids?

Thanks again

Jim Routledge
Fabiola II
Curaçao
builder
Landlubber

Postby jonneely » Tue May 15, 2018 9:22 pm

If I remember correctly I just pulled on the barbed fittings that are welded onto the lids. I would not use a scraper, heat gun would probably bet bet if you want to use heat. I don't remembering snuggling with them. I used life caulk on the holding and I made a new Nytrex rubber gasket for the fuel with an always wet sealant that you use on gas tanks.
1982 HC33 S/V Prism
www.svprism.com
jonneely
Crew

Postby builder » Wed May 16, 2018 10:01 am

Good information Jon, thank you. Sure helps to know a bit of what to expect. The lids all look like they are literally “welded” in place. I have moved on to other jobs for now and keep soaking the bolts in WD40 in hopes they will all just fall off :)

I will get prepared with a heat gun, gasket & sealant and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again and by the way, another question that I will start another post on - “Halyard Help Please”
builder
Landlubber

Return to HC33