[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - How do you remove the side and top wood covers inside?

How do you remove the side and top wood covers inside?

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

How do you remove the side and top wood covers inside?

Postby andyv94 » Thu May 31, 2018 11:06 pm

Hi,

Has anybody tried to remove the side wood panels as well as the top panels on the side??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andy & Kristy
S/V Gitana
HC33T #28
andyv94
First Mate

Re: How do you remove the side and top wood covers inside?

Postby andyv94 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:18 pm

Really? Nobody has removed them?
Andy & Kristy
S/V Gitana
HC33T #28
andyv94
First Mate

Postby imiloa » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:12 pm

I think most people cut an access hole, then make a cover plate.

Cheers!
Devon
SV Casita
1984 HC33
imiloa
Cabinboy

Postby andyv94 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:52 pm

Thanks, that’s what I was trying to avoid : (
Andy & Kristy
S/V Gitana
HC33T #28
andyv94
First Mate

Postby clonjers » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:29 pm

I think the sides a glued. The overhead most likely has screws, just need to find them.
clonjers
First Mate

Postby chrisray12 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:04 pm

What is the purpose of removing?

The cabin top wainscoting is screwed in. You will need to remove the side trim that is screwed and bunged along the cabin top and stringers. The best trick is to run a steam machine in the boat for a hour or so. The steam will collect on the cabin top and show the screw bungs in the wainscoting that has been painted. Then you just remove the bung and unscrew. Should come off without too much pain.

The cabin side wainscoting is a whole different beast. It is glued and glass tabbed. I don't think you will find any bunged or screws to remove and you often will need to remove trim, shelves and lockers to remove in one piece. A big, big project.

Just trying to understand the reason for removal. If rotted, grab a hammer, dremel and pry bar and get to work. If you are trying to run wire or insulate the hull, far better methods than removing the cabin sides. Trying to cut in a new through hull or port light, just cut out what you need with a large shallow drill bit, dremel or router.

Hope that helps.
chrisray12
Crew

Postby andyv94 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:27 pm

I’m putting in new chain plates and wanted to remove the side panel so as to not make any holes
Thanks for the help
Andy & Kristy
S/V Gitana
HC33T #28
andyv94
First Mate

Postby jonneely » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:42 am

Having cut holes in them for our chainplates, they are well bonded to the hull via vertical stringers about every 18'' from what I can tell.

Jon
1982 HC33 S/V Prism
www.svprism.com
jonneely
Crew

Postby andyv94 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:48 pm

Thanks Jon. I was trying to avoid putting holes like you did because I’m so anal about trying to keep the boat as original as possible..........but I think your way is probably the best way to go! :roll:

Oh well. While I have you here Jon, I’m making the chainplates here in Texas with holes already cut in, do you remember the dimensions between the 4 holes? I haven’t been to the boat since Maria so I don’t have the measurements for the holes.
Thank you
Andy & Kristy
S/V Gitana
HC33T #28
andyv94
First Mate

Postby jonneely » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:18 pm

ahh, not off the top of my head. I made them equal distant so the top bolt exactly bisected the bulwark midway then I put the remain 3 into the fiberglass area. I think it was somewhere around 2-3'' spacing. After talking extensively with Brian Toss, the most important bolt is that top one, it gat the most dynamic loads. Im sure you read it but here is the link to how we did ours https://svprism.com/2016/11/04/external ... on-a-hc33/

Are you going stainless or bronze? I would really recommend doing the final fab near the boat, IT took me about 1000 measurements to be sure I was getting the bends and bolts perfect.

Cheers,

Jon
1982 HC33 S/V Prism
www.svprism.com
jonneely
Crew

Postby andyv94 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:33 am

I am going stainless more likely! Yeah I’ll probably do the same thing you did, make the overall chainplates here and then do the holes once I know exactly where I want them! Did you order yours from Port Townsend foundry?
Andy & Kristy
S/V Gitana
HC33T #28
andyv94
First Mate

Postby jonneely » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:51 pm

we got the metal from onlinemetals.com
1982 HC33 S/V Prism
www.svprism.com
jonneely
Crew

Postby andyv94 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:10 am

Ok I’ll check them out

Thank tou
Andy & Kristy
S/V Gitana
HC33T #28
andyv94
First Mate

Return to HC33