[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - Has anyone replaced engine mounts on an HC 43 Traditional?

Has anyone replaced engine mounts on an HC 43 Traditional?

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Has anyone replaced engine mounts on an HC 43 Traditional?

Postby SVTambadil » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:53 am

We are in the final survey of our (we HOPE "our") 1987 Hans Christian Traditional cutter. One of the survey items we found was that--while the original Yanmar engine looks like it was installed yesterday and has only 1500 miles--all of the engine mounts are looking pretty shabby, and one of them is definitely gone (can pick big flakes of rusted metal off). We have decided to have an engine surveyor take a look at both the engine and genset, but we were just wondering if any other HC 43 folks have experienced this issue and if so, how much it cost to install new mounts (looks like the engine would have be raised a bit)?

Respectfully,

Chad and Carolyn
SVTambadil
Crew

Postby mike » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:44 pm

Chad,

I replaced ours 2 years ago, the bases had almost rotted away. I suggest that if you have similar problems especially with the front port that you also check the seal on the raw water pump. You don't usually stick your head in there with the engine running at 2K revs which is when our pump started to leak, this had caused the problem.

I packed our engine up on timber blocks, loosened the nuts on the mount bolt + the 2 bolts into the engine beds & then removed the bracket from the engine with the mount still attached to it. doing it this way you don't have to lift the engine to get the bracket off the top of the stud in the flexi-mount. A word of caution, I managed to break off 2 of the studs into the beds, the studs are threaded into a steel plate bonded into the GRP, I was able to drill them out using a right angle drill & re tap, when I re fitted the mounts I replaced the mild steel bolts with stainless & greased them with copper slip. The mounts are 2 different hardensses, but I can't remember which way round.

I also de-greased, primed & painted the replacement Yanmar mounts before I fitted them but must say I'm dissapointed how quickly they have rusted.

If I replace them again I would go for an Australian make (will try to remeber make if you are interested) which are made of aluminium thats been corrosion proofed & in fact were cheaper than genuine replacement parts.

Mike
mike
Captain

Postby hcfirstlight » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:15 pm

While we don't have a 43 HC, we have replaced the motor mounts on our 33; twice. This comment does apply to you as well. Be prepared to spend some quality time "hugging" your engine after the new mounts are installed. You must realign the engine. No avoiding this task. Even with a flexible coupling, you must try to get within .001", per inch diameter of the coupling. (I think I quoted this correctly from Nigel). Good luck. You should have no problem with the motor mounts. Chuck H., 1984 HC 33 T, # 60.
hcfirstlight
Cabinboy

Excellent info!

Postby SVTambadil » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:22 pm

Thanks, guys. Yes, Mike, I would love to know the names of the Australian mounts, if possible.

Chad
SVTambadil
Crew

Postby mike » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:18 am

Sorry guys for the delay my machine has had a temrinal virus! all now fixed.

The company for the mounts is Polyflex www.polyflex.com.au I was sent a catalogue from the Uk distributors, their range is huge, it may be best to see if they have a cross reference to their part #.

mike
mike
Captain

Postby mike » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:34 pm

200 ton Master
Past Owner Jolly Swagman - HC 43t Cutter Hull# 110 1987
http://www.eskside.co.uk/william_riley/mike_coates.htm
mike
Captain

Postby mike » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:12 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
200 ton Master
mike
Captain

Postby ricardo » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:14 am

_/)_ ''Plume''
1983 HC33T
__hull#42__
ricardo
Crew

Postby ricardo » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:23 am

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
_/)_ ''Plume''
1983 HC33T
__hull#42__
ricardo
Crew

Postby mike » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:57 am

200 ton Master
mike
Captain

Postby mike » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:15 pm

200 ton Master
mike
Captain

Postby mike » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:04 pm

200 ton Master
mike
Captain

Postby ricardo » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:36 am

_/)_ ''Plume''
1983 HC33T
__hull#42__
ricardo
Crew

Postby ricardo » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:50 am

Mike,

Have you tried the new mounts yet and if so, what's your verdict?

Richard
_/)_ ''Plume''
1983 HC33T
__hull#42__
ricardo
Crew

Postby mike » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:30 pm

I've run the engine mounts throughout the year & am very pleased with them, possibly less vibration than the OEM Yanmar mounts & no signs of any deterioration or rust on the steel parts - definately a good purchase & to be recommended.

Mike
200 ton Master
mike
Captain

Next

Return to Yanmar