[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
hanschristian.org • View topic - Rusty spots

Rusty spots

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

Rusty spots

Postby turbin » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:52 pm

Hi salty friends! I have a question about standing rigg. To day I have a meeting with the guys at riggshop talking about new sails etcetc and then the guys say my wirers have som rusty dotts here and there. And ofcoars offer new wirers... The wirers are original from 87. Sailors, give me some hint and tips how I shall do. Change...? All are smoth and nice, only some saltwater rust spots.. What can I do?
I have to cut the tip of the spreader and weld new, thats OK for me..
But also new wirers..litle bit haveay.
Waiting for yours advice.
Peter Ruyter
s/v CHRISTINA
XSA43015E787
1987 HC43Ch #15
Vasteras
Sweden
turbin
Crew

Postby turbin » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:12 pm

Hi Mike! What can I do?
Peter Ruyter
s/v CHRISTINA
XSA43015E787
1987 HC43Ch #15
Vasteras
Sweden
turbin
Crew

Postby stormbay » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:33 am

If your standing rigging is in fact from 87 than i would defiantly replace! We are doing the same and finding alot of issues with ALL of the stainless onboard. It is recommended that standing rigging be replaced every 10 years and from what we have found on our boat I can see why. If I were you I would also at least remove and inspect your chainplates and bolts at the same time ( we had 6 cracked chainplates and our chainplate bolts literally fell apart in our hands when we removed them even though they looked new and shiny at the time :shock: ) This is more than a cosmetic issue as stainless will look nice and shiny right up until the point it fails, its called crevice corrosion.
Yu & Frank
1985 HC-41 Hull# 11
http://sv-moitessier.blogspot.com/
stormbay
Crew

Postby turbin » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:27 pm

OK, thanks! I take your word right as you say. Orderd new rigg to day. The only happy one is the rigger! I wonder was my wife says?
Peter Ruyter
s/v CHRISTINA
XSA43015E787
1987 HC43Ch #15
Vasteras
Sweden
turbin
Crew

Postby stormbay » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:28 am

Painful I know, but better than the potential consequences.. These are just the bolts from one of our chainplates. All of ours are like this. As well the top pic is of our staysail chainplate (we have 6 chainplats that are in the same condition) Sorry for the image size, I cant figure out how to resize them :oops: Hans Christian built great boats but unfortunately they used very crappy stainless... Note, none of these cracks were visible before we removed the pieces!

[HCOA: I edited your pics to make them 1/4 the size. They also now appear inline as thumbnails. The larger size is available by clicking on the thumbnail image.
Try the free viewer/editor from www.faststone.org The ctrl-R option lets you resize. You can also resize in batches.]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yu & Frank
1985 HC-41 Hull# 11
http://sv-moitessier.blogspot.com/
stormbay
Crew

Postby turbin » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:29 am

Hi! Thanks for the good (bad) pictures, I show it for Sara and it helped me to inform about the need for new rig. I am still waiting for lift up. Then I will start with this issue. Hm..it looks like it will be a buzzy winter.
Peter Ruyter
s/v CHRISTINA
XSA43015E787
1987 HC43Ch #15
Vasteras
Sweden
turbin
Crew

Postby mike » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:05 am

Here is part of an article I wrote for a well known UK sailing mag some years ago.

Rigging and its associated connections to the spar and boat are subjected cyclic loading, any structure that is subjected to cyclic loading can eventually fail through fatigue. Fatigue can result from a low number of high loadings or a great number of low loadings or a combination of both. High load/low cycles can be avoided in a rig; in a seaway if the rigging is too slack allowing the mast head or spreader to move, as the mast reaches the end of its travel the developed inertia can result in huge shock loadings not only within the rigging its self but also the chain of items connecting it to the mast and boa; allowing these shock loadings to occur can lead to rapid failure of stays and associated fittings. Similarly over slackening you rigging during layup thereby allowing the mast and rigging to move can do more harm than leaving it tensioned. Although in these circumstances the loads induced will be low it can result in the cyclic loads work hardening the stays where they exit the end terminations resulting in premature failure.

The greatest area for concern is not the wire its self that rarely breaks in mid- span (unless it has been damaged externally), but the end terminations. Fatigue damage of stainless wire where it exits a terminal may go un-noticed i.e a broken heart wire is virtually undetectable unless the wire is tested electronically, the initial slippage of a terminal on the wire from stress loading may in certain circumstances be impossible to detect by eye. Work hardening with resultant cracking of a terminal from stress fatigue may also be very difficult to detect without resorting to either electronic or NDT (non destructive testing) such as die penetration testing.

The general consensus of opinions on rigging replacement is:
An average cruising rig should under go a regular close annual inspection after the 5th year & complete replacement by the 10th year is the norm. For the more aggressively sailed cruiser/racer the inspection & replacement are reduced to 3 years & 5 years respectively, this should include turnbuckles & toggles. The inspection must also encompass any item that connects the rigging to the spar and the boat; i.e 'T' bar or shroud terminal backing plates, tangs and their associated bolts, chain plates, u-bolts etc are all items that are subject to stress each time we sail.

Mike
200 ton Master
Past Owner Jolly Swagman - HC 43t Cutter Hull# 110 1987
http://www.eskside.co.uk/william_riley/mike_coates.htm
mike
Captain

Postby turbin » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:36 pm

Hi Captn Mike! Thanks a lot for your posting. I use your text together with earlier posted photos in my breakfast talk with Sara (wife). As I said before, I (we) orderd new rigg. Very soon I have to dismantle chainplates. Looks complicated. I dont want to be classified as a powerboater thefore I dont ask for instructions. Yeat! But if it someone have some information how-to, I will read it! Take care!
Peter Ruyter
s/v CHRISTINA
XSA43015E787
1987 HC43Ch #15
Vasteras
Sweden
turbin
Crew

Postby charles » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:46 pm

I had a rigger over today and yes he said my rigging needed to be replaced. He also said that the 10 year replacement yearage is bunk, if you do one yearly maintenance proceedure. He advised to clean all the standing rigging, end to end, with soap and water. He also showed me how to check the rigging to see if it needs replacing. Look at the lower connector's, if their is space between the cable and the end peice, you are good, if not (full of filth/rust) replace. Mine is original 1978 so I am surprised that it's still standing actually. Hope this helps.

Charles
charles
First Mate

Postby mike » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:05 am

With the best will in the world you are unable even with the closest inspection it is often impossible to detect broken core strands, slipping swage terminals or the worst of all fatigue - any of these can result in rig failure. In more than 30 years as a rigger apart from one occasion I never had a failure of a wire in mid span, the one I did was as a result of it going over a spreader and had remained un-seen as it was on the inner side bearing on the spreader, the only indication of a problem was loss of rig tension when going hard on the wind.

Forestays are the most common failure due to fatigue failure from vibration when going to windward.

Attached are some examples of wire and termination failures mainly due to stress I came accross during inspections or rig failures.

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
200 ton Master
Past Owner Jolly Swagman - HC 43t Cutter Hull# 110 1987
http://www.eskside.co.uk/william_riley/mike_coates.htm
mike
Captain

Return to Rigworks