In mast furler very stiff on the main mast

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

In mast furler very stiff on the main mast

Postby indiansummer2 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:54 pm

Hi there

Could anyone help.

we have a 38ft hans christain, 1989 model. possibly one of the last ones built in taiwan.

Our in-mast furler is very stiff and having to use the winch every time.

Ive taken the down the main sail, gone up to the top of the mast and checked to make sure that halyard wasnt tangled at the top and it wasnt.

With the main sail down and the halyard out of the way, ive tried turning the furler and its still very stiff..

Does anyone have any ideas?? we didtighten the luff rod awhile ago, could it be that the rod is too stiff??

Thanks

Ed
indiansummer2
Landlubber

Re: In mast furler very stiff on the main mast

Postby mimoza » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:26 pm

The thrust bearings will wear out eventually and they are a bear to replace. Don't over torque the spindle or they will wear faster, and furlong will be stiff. The problem with under torquing is that sail shape will suffer. I have replaced thrust bearings twice.
I should take my own advice: scrap the in mast furling and re-rig. If the furling jams in heavy weather, your only friend is a knife. If ease of deployment is an issue, an electric winch will do wonders with hoisting a track and slide sail.
Cap'n Bri
HC 33 "Mimoza" Hull number 43
Mimoza is the name of the Admiral, a flower, and a star - the eastern arm of the Southern Cross, also called Becrux.
mimoza
First Mate

Postby indiansummer » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:52 am

Hi Mimoza,

Thanks for your reply. I forgot about the post and only just read it.

Needless to say, we are still having the same issues. Do you know where we could get replacement thrust bearings?

Kind regards
Ed
indiansummer
Landlubber

Postby mimoza » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:49 am

It depends completely on who made the furling gear. I'm pretty sure there is no one out there who can say, "Sure, I have exactly what you need." But I did find one place that offered Kenyon Hyde-Away bearings for an exorbitant price.
Instead, I took out the furler - not an easy task - and disassembled the unit to get at the bearings. Then I went down to my local industrial bearing supply store and got some replacements.

Best advice: Find your documentation for the furler and get busy on Google.

Your bearings are probably angular contact thrust bearings, but it isn't a certainty.

Follow this link:
http://www.consbrgs.com/

===
Replacing the lower bearings
Strike the sail.
You'll almost certainly have to remove the boom.
Slack off the tensioner, and disconnect the lower attachments.
At this point you may be able to disassemble the lower unit and replace those bearings. If you are lucky, this will be enough. The upper unit doesn't take as much tension as the lower because the halyard takes some of the tension. I would just replace the lower bearings and see whether it fixes your issues.
Theoretically, you could service the upper bearings without removing the furler. If you don't mind working at the top of the mast, this approach would save you from the risk of deforming the spindle. Once it is bent, it is very hard to straighten.

If you can't do this, you are in for a lot more work. You'll need two or three assistants.
Removing the furler:
Disassemble as above.
Arrange some support points for the spindle using webbing and spare halyards. You'll need at least two additional supports besides the main halyard and someone holding the base. Some inner tube pieces or other rubber bandy stuff would be good for grabbing the spindle. If you skip this part, you will certainly bend the spindle, and that will ruin it.
Tension all the supports.
Disconnect the top end.
Carefully walk out the base while maintaining the spindle in a perfectly straight orientation, and lay it down.
Now you can work on the top bearings.

Alternatively, you can rent a crane to pull the stick. Even in this case, the mast should be oriented so that it supports the spindle.
If going this far, I would consider replacing the rig, but that's a little spendy.

See if doing the lower bearings makes it work better for you.

To answer the question you asked about the luff rod (spindle):
Yes, it is definitely possible to overtighten it. If you do this, the feel will be very stiff and the bearings will wear much more quickly.
Cap'n Bri
Mimoza is the name of the Admiral, a flower, and a star - the eastern arm of the Southern Cross, also called Becrux.
mimoza
First Mate

Postby mimoza » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:52 am

One more thing:
If you need more tension to try to keep the luff straighter, use the halyard. It's better than replacing bearings.
Cap'n Bri
mimoza
First Mate

Postby indiansummer » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:57 am

Hi Mimoza

We just logged on a read your reply.

Thanks a mil for advice, all highly appreciated and will attempt next week to get new bearings.

We'll keep you updated.

Cheers
indiansummer
Landlubber

Return to Rigworks