mizzen triactic stay

Moderators: warmrain, mimoza

mizzen triactic stay

Postby greenpearl » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:04 am

Has any body removed the forward shrouds on a HC43 ketch, and replaced with a triactic stay?
greenpearl
Landlubber

Re: mizzen triactic stay

Postby Bill » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:03 pm

Hi Green Pearl,

I am not a rigger but just thinking about the above I could conjure up a couple of reasons why it might not be in your best interest. I could be wrong though.

The forward stays on a 43 Ketch mizzen are really Mid Stays and taking them off (if that is your intention) would mean no support to the midsection of the mizzen. The actual triatic that supports the top section is served by the solo wire that runs from the head of your mizzen over a support arm on the mizzen and back to the about the mid section of the mizzen. Unless you are trying to run an antennae between the two masts I can't imagine why one would want to connect the main and mizzen with a more complicated rig, but again I am not a rigger and probably showed my ignorance by my description of the Triatic.

I can think of one major reason to not connect the two masts and that would be if one of the rigs decided to topple it would be nice to know it wasn't going to its neighbor with it.
Bill and Lisa
Beyond Reason
'79 HC43 Ketch
Hull #23
www.beyondreason.us
Bill
First Mate

Location: Finished sweating out the Mexican summers and heading home to San Francisco.

Re: mizzen triactic stay

Postby greenpearl » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:36 pm

Thanks Bill. The triatic stay would attach at the mizzen in the same place the forward shrouds were connected. This would allow us to get rid of the forward shrouds which make it very difficult to go forward from the cockpit. We have a dodger that is close to the shrouds so it is a tight squeeze getting past them. Yes in the unlikely event that you dis mast you will likely loose both masts but with good maintenance and regular rigging checks which I always do when cruising this possibility can be kept to a minimum.
greenpearl
Landlubber

Return to Rigworks